Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Vast majority of AM3 mobos just needed a BIOS update to use AM3+.

It was largely the bottom bin chipsets that didn't get an AM3+ upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

alternatively, all four dies are dummy glass on a pcb in those things

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/for...7437#post967437

quote:

I am running the test in a Core i5 laptop and the conftest segfault appear here too. Michael, did you get only conftest segfaults?
:thunk:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Supposedly it affects only certain Ryzen processors and more recent ones are unaffected. Don't think there's a big database of affected/microcode/production date to confirm though.
it also affects dual core broadwells

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MaxxBot posted:

Jesus I don't need 16 cores but I'll probably eventually get one because I'm a big dumb idiot.
:same:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i'm guessing the 64 pcie lanes seem to be "active" even if not connected because there's a not insignificant power cost for those in the first place

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Pablo Bluth posted:

I can now confirm that a Ryzen 1700 is just a wee bit faster than an Athlon II X4....

I managed to get it running with the memory at 2800MHZ with just two mouse clicks and no understandings of what I was doing. The rated 3000 failed to boot so I'm going to have to RTFM.
it might be 2T at 2933, since ryzen by default demands 1T memory timings unless you update the bios to one with a newer AGESA version (not all of the mobos out now have it although new ones are shipping with it)

though 1T 2800 might be faster than 2T 2933 and if it's stable there after some stress runs i'd say go with it

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Volguus posted:

At the time (early 2000s) Itanium looked like the platform that will free us from the clutches of x86, with all its hacks and band-aids upon hacks and band-aids that it received over its long history. Alas, it wasnt meant to be.
It probably would have required even more hacks considering it was largely an excuse to lock in vendors.

Turns out people should have switched over to ARM a long time ago, but hindsight.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

wargames posted:

my suggestion is wait, there will hopefully be not terrible processors released for x299 soon so that may be a good option but it does depend on your workload.
:yikes:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

And judging by the mask count Intel is undergoing one of the biggest rolling shitshows in 10nm and pushing any improvements down the stack to 7nm

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

and as usual the (7, 9)600 is the only one worth getting as it's the only product in the stack that makes sense in ultra-cheapo-but-not-terribly-poo poo builds

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I would argue not even, since these are only 35W parts. I mean, what ultra-cheapo-but-not-terribly-poo poo build do you have to have that you can't do with 65W and the commensurate perf bump?
The A8-9600 is a 65w part and has enough GPU for screaming kids that want to play rocket league but not have their eyes damaged with low framerate.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

can't wait for a bastardized 4-6 core version of one of those to show up in the PS5 and Xbone Z

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

underage at the vape shop posted:

whats the least problematic ryzen ram? What guides are there to get it to work?

I'm getting sick of it not posting 5 times, then having to go into the bios, change nothing, restart, just to get it to run 2933 on 3200 QVL approved ram. THis is every single time I turn my PC on.
You might have to set the clocks/voltage manually and loosen timings, it might just be trying to do the XMP profile each bootup despite it obviously not going to work with Ryzen in most cases. I've had a similar problem with an Asus B350 Prime, but with non B-die ram.

There isn't a comprehensive list of ram that works with Ryzen because there's just thousands of SKUs, but there's some known Samsung B-die ram sticks. Unsurprisingly their prices are inflated.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

jeffreyw posted:

I have a question regarding Threadripper. Looking at Puget System's benchmarks of Adobe and CAD suites, Intel's similarly priced 7900X typically matches or keeps up with the 1950X in multithreaded tasks but completely slaughters it when tasks are poorly threaded. Unfortunately, there isn't much to compare with as most reviewers don;t go much further then use Cinebench, don't test professional programs or don't really go into detail what they're actually testing.

Assuming Puget Systems' benchmarks are accurate, is there an actual use case for Threadripper if I don't need the ECC memory support or 64 PCIe lanes,
you could just buy a 7700k

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

Arstechnicas take on the i9-7960X https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/intel-core-i9-7960x-review/2/

The i7-7960X @ 4.1Ghz default voltage pushes total system power to 687W, comparable 1950X @ 3.9Ghz is pulling 552W. the 7960X could go higher but it tries to bake itself first @ 4.1Ghz, so have fun delidding a 1700$ CPU to possibly eek out that extra 10% performance and 100W extra.
gonna :laffo: fractally when someone gets around to delidding one of those NDA-afflicted xeons and finds paste instead of solder

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

single CCX, which is a good thing for inter-core as it basically means there's no longer any significant ram-related latency, the memory controller stops getting a hellfire workout and they can use the space savings for the GPU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

G4500 is 20$ cheaper than the 4520 because why I dunno, but yea WAAAAY better idea than mine.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4500 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($71.46 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - B150M-K D3 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - BT 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $179.43

no hyperthreading

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

G4520 doesn't have hyperthreading either ???
oh, thought it did. pentium/celeron naming schemes are loving nonsensical

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

Kind of indicates that yields are so good that AMD is willing to cut good silicon to improve the volume of their biggest sellers (1600 and 1600X), and that they'd make more money that way as well.
they didn't bother to even softlock them :holy:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

bobfather posted:

Have any official websites done some controlled benchmarks on the effect of RAM speed and timings on Ryzen?

I know a ton of end-users have, but I'm looking for that anandtech-level rigor here.
gamersnexus did iirc

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SoftNum posted:

I just wonder how many 8700Ks are going to end up dead when the retail binnings can't hit 5.0 like the samples given out. :v:
and the reason they'll end up dead is because of the TIM and not delidding to replace it with a better application or something better

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

Isn't that setting up for another round of "Ryzen vs Kaby" comparison, except Intel will still be on 14nm IIRC? I keep hearing how Intel keeps pushing back 10nm and I'm getting visions of AMD leapfrogging them for 6 months which can be outright devastating.
AMD coming out with a 7-actually-10nm product that performs before Intel can push out their 10nm laptop chips would be quite hilarious but given how tapeouts work we won't see such chips until Q1 2019 +/- 3 months, unless they want to do another crash test dummy run and push out barely-ready-for-production chips for consumers like they had to for Zeppelin.

priznat posted:

Oddly the suppliers I deal with at work can find Epyc CPUs but have had no luck getting any motherboards, Supermicro is only selling complete systems right now. With the pricey as hell 7401s in there so around $6k for a dual system (Still, 48 cores :drat:)
A non-rackmount non-proprietary motherboard will have a hell of a time tracing 3700-4094 working pins, imagine how thick the PCBs will be on EATX, to say nothing of anything smaller...

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 26, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

NewFatMike posted:

Thank you very much! That's going to be quite a useful video.

Also, Vega Mobile stuff is announced. R7 2700U and R5 2500U are both 15W parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwWRWC-34xQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glrw3ibl810

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpWHL34G52o

Probably more videos, this is taking me by surprise!
I was expecting 25w, but 15w is trolling the gently caress out of Intel with sick donuts in the parking lot

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

and z470 will not work with CFL and ice lake will not work with Z370

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

NewFatMike posted:

Further details on the Raven Ridge x360 are out, one thing I thought was particularly exciting:

Starts at $699 for 8GB dual channel DDR4 and 1TB HDD, I'm really excited to see how it does once it's out.
256gb ssd (OEM toshiba) is $50 more so effectively $750

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

Look man if I am stuck in this dumpster fire reality made only of the wrong choices on the probability tree I demand it at least entertain me.
*monkey's paw wiggles, goes limp*

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

That is kind of disappointing honestly, I was hoping for a hard 15w clamp but given how the Envy is built (active cooling and all) it's probably what made sense to go with.

I am really interested in seeing a true 15w and 9w test.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

1792 cores along with the CPU in the same die :prepop:

the 1331 tiny rear end pins make sense now

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the second attempt at doing maxwell-era CUDA primitive discard

worth noting that nvidia backported primitive discard to kepler and fermi for a significant performance boost shortly after the first maxwell card hit, that AMD can't somehow do this for GCN is probably not a good thing for the graphics uarch i think?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ufarn posted:

Is there an microarchitectural reason why Intel beats AMD so hard in single-thread performance, or is it more due to incremental improvements over time?
before Zeppelin, AMD backed the wrong horse of SMT vs. CMT, among other pitfalls like realizing too late that bulldozer adapts incredibly well to low power applications and has a very sharp efficiency decline after those low power targets, before adopting a top-heavy version of intel's uop philosophy and making it up to 90% of the way there in IPC

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

Who would have thought that goons would be experts in back-shaving!? :v:
not all of us like being gorillas you know :colbert:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I just want Raven Ridge to show up on more than two laptops

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

4/4 and 8CUs for $99 MSRP, lol bristol ridge dead in the crib

Pentium Gold also loving dead

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 8, 2018

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

An 4.7GHz TR would be hilarious, but there's still the thing with the IF. Is there 3200MHz ECC RAM yet? I thought Crucial said they'd do it.
samsung is already making 3200mhz dies but all of them are going straight into HPC and are $$$$$$custom orders

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

So are these new Ryzen desktop CPUs with graphics included going to be made obsolete in three months for Zen+? If I’m running a PC that’s a glorified torrent box that also runs Handbrake a few hours a day, which do I want?

I’m thinking the R3 with graphics is looking nice, it if Zen+’s 3 also has graphics then might as well wait.
depends, if you're looking for a discrete card (a really bad time to do so imho) they will be made "obsolete" in 3 months, if you just need an office home kids pc with no frills there really is going to be no better option for a while as it has the happy medium of adequate single core speed and playable framerates at the "bare minimum pleasant to look at" graphics settings and the next APUs with zen+ will be 8-10 months off

zen+ is going to be a 200-300mhz clock speed bump over zen so it's basically the average intel improvement

if you need a chip now get it now, otherwise you can continue to play waiting game for a while longer

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 10, 2018

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

or high-leakage parts unfit to idle at 1.5w

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the gimmick thin client that can video games might actually be a reality, moreso if they come out with 35w E skus

what would really be ~the good poo poo~ is a mini STX AM4 board though

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I thought for a long time that the threads being merged would own, but I totally agree with this now.
it would actually legitimately own just not in a productive way

we'd have x86 thunderdome and people being constantly probated like pre-D&D fishmech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AMD actually does frequency binning, which is why you have a pretty tight range of overclock expectations per SKU with relatively few outliers and out of those, they seem to be restricted to utter comedy like an 8 core R3 1300x