Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Z1 NUClike in development

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGaIO6Jbqg4

my eyes are darting about looking around for a 7020u-based minipc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the appeal? 7020U is Zen 2, right? Wouldn't you be better off with the 5800H, Zen 3, which you can still get with 16GB of RAM and 500GB of SSD for under $300?
The appeal is that it's poo poo and I love poo poo

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

we just tested what's in the barrel gunk we just scraped, it's "zen 5 is late"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i'd peg the RDNA3 4 CUs at 720p maybe even with some upscaling for modern AAA shitheaps, 1080p is definitely doable if you're playing esports titles like CSGO2 though.

A NH-L9a-AM5 is probably going to be a hard requirement for an 8700G if you're going to use one of those in a X600 Deskmini depending on how hot these things run in practice. The default cooler for the Deskmini is a 35w puck fit only for an Athlon 200GE/3000G, not sure if they're changing that for the x600.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Holy poo poo, the 8600G with DIMM-wide ECC memory and the right motherboard (*) looks perfect for a passively-cooled always-on router+firewall & NAS+HTPC combo.

*: Plenty of daughterboard slots, not necessarily a shitload of PCIe lanes - though I would be curious as to how many it has.
You might have to look at the Ryzen Pro variants of the APUs because on the AM4 APUs only the Pro variants supported ECC and they might repeat that segmentation with the AM5 APUs.

Also the Zen 4 APUs have 8 lanes on the "main" PCIe x16 slot.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

I think I'm going to drop one in to replace a 1700X.

Does it come with a cooler? I'm using a stock Wraith, I wonder if box coolers have gotten any better in the last 7 years. Intel's new ones look pretty sick.
all X3D chips don't have coolers bundled.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

A Ryzen 5500GT is an 5600G APU with the graphics cores disabled. Since it uses the APU architecture, it's monolithic and not multi-die, so it has half the cache of a 5600, and only has Gen 3 PCIe.

I have a Ryzen 5500, and it looks like the GT is clocked just a smidgen better than it. Use the 5500 reviews to get an idea of perf. I thought it was fine for what I paid for it, honestly, but I was moving up from a Ryzen 3100. If you already had the cash for a 5600, I'd go for that.
If the AMD page for it isn't lying, the 5500GT does have graphics whereas they're not listed for the 5500.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

there's some speculation that zen 6 will require a new socket, but there's no official word one way or another.
the last time they did a socket change that quickly* they undertook the absolute nightmare scenario of having to service and make interoperable CPUs for AM2 and AM3 at the same time, which was pretty funny in retrospect

*FM1/FM2 notwithstanding

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

and if you're talking about theoretical performance losses from going to ECC, even registered ECC ram has XMP and EXPO now.

granted, DDR5 now properly silos off registered and unregistered RAM.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

depending on how good your chip's memory controller is, after 3800 you likely have to set the FCLK to 2:1 (async) mode which will hurt performance. You might be able to downclock retail 4000 MT/s ram to 3800 (use the same T values as 4000 if you want to be safe), but 3600 will work virtually 100% of the time and sets are actually sold for that costing barely more than 3200 kits. Kits with a preset 3800 profile are extremely rare and were probably only sold in number when Zen 2 was coming out.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 11, 2024

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i'm not sure what you can do to a 5950x other than slap on v-cache (which they did, but never made a product)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AM4 has made building so ridiculously easy that I'm soon going to buy a new (2020) cat core embedded board to feel alive again

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

no idea where else to put this, but the e2-6110 in this QC6000M is a world of pain all in itself. only 27% less clocks than my old athlon 5350s (that are ostensibly a generation older than this) but still manages to be more than 27% slower. I don't even remember the athlon 5350 choking this hard on doing ANYTHING on windows 10. it runs nuclear throne at a brisk 15fps, just over half of the framerate it gets on the athlon 5350. no benchmark will run. this is prime

i'm floating installing a stripped down windows 7 to give it a modicum of a fighting chance, but i'm enjoying the experience enough as-is. :unsmigghh:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Asrock tends to leave the x1 slots open-ended on about half of their mid-high end consumer boards. I've only ever seen ASUS do it for their workstation-marketed and enterprise things.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the benefit of APUs or chips made from them is that they do support faster RAM than the chiplet CPUs and have asynchronous IF clock but this has little practical use outside of very specific applications

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

this article is for epyc 1 but on the non-P cpu and board STH tested, the 64 lanes that would be used for IF on a dual socket board are routed properly to devices on the board. don't think they'd change this behavior going forward, especially as some boards were upgradeable to epyc 2. you could of course change the CPU if you wanted to be sure.

https://www.servethehome.com/single-socket-amd-epyc-7000-faq-answers-common-questions/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

priznat posted:

I’m annoyed you can’t get the pro models in retail boxes. I want one for a nas build! Integrated graphics and ECC? Nice.
on alibaba & associates there's a lot of loose used ryzen pro 4650gs floating around from decommissioned dells and HPs, depending on the upgrade cadence of said offices we might be seeing used pro 5650gs or pro 8600gs within the next 5 years