Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Next time I will be sure to re-type the entire procedure verbatim so you know I tried it :rolleyes: What else could "exhausted all avenues" mean

A simple yes would have worked instead of sounding like an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
$1200-1300 I bet.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Is AMD managing to go from CPU = BAD and GPU = GOOD to vice versa in one generation?

I was just thinking that myself.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

redeyes posted:

Word around the campfire is Ryzen is still unstable.. even after the latest round of BIOS and memory updates. Not good.

Care to expand on this?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Yea I don't really see a place for the i3 anymore now that pentiums have HT and Ryzen 1400/1500 exist for sub $200 with the 1600 costing not much more after that.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

FaustianQ posted:

On AMD's own facebook page

I'm dying, this is loving absurd.

Amazing.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

The two modes with TR seem to be a pain in the rear end. For me it feels too much unnecessary thinking and tweaking. I'll look at the new intel 6 core models, and if they really can go ~5GHz+ on all cores with decent temps it is the way to go. Amd just won't catch intel in single threaded performance this year.

(Or maybe it just looks like so because anandtech used garbo ddr 2400 or something instead of 3200+..)

lol what? Were you really looking to compare a 6 core chip to a 16 in completely different price and use brackets?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

Yes. That's what many people do though. Buy $1000 gaming cpu when a $300-400 cpu would be good enough, or even better.

I guess I don't see it that often so it seems really silly to me.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

I'm on the bus so I can't check out the video in the article, but:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60100/amds-new-ryzen-7-2800x-teased-12c-24t-up-5-1ghz/index.html

That can't be right

Haha no way that can be true, especially those clocks.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Risky Bisquick posted:

Hey Paul what’s worse, segfaulting chips or leaking data through JavaScript and web browsers :razz: poo poo is out of control

Obviously hard locking due to segfaults, duh.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's not what the paper stated. Maybe you should read it? Or excerpt I previously linked for you?

Does the language difference make any difference in the first image? They state they have empirically tested intel, but AMD has been verified to have attack applicability. Not sure why they would use different language there.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Any reviews showing how fps improves by dropping settings to low/medium/high? Haven’t been able to find anything.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

redeyes posted:

Im sure no one cares at this point but i got the opportunity to test a RX580 vs a GTX 1070 founders edition. The 1070 is so much faster its insane, not to mention quieter, cooler running, AND a lot less buggy.

AMD gfx are dead to me.

All hail our nvidia overlord.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
lol nice “office” CTSlabs.

https://m.imgur.com/OkWlIxA

They are all shutterstock images.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Just finished titan fall 2 campaign, it was short but pretty drat dope.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
https://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/3260-assassination-attempt-on-amd-by-viceroy-research-cts-labs

Gotta short sell them stocks my homies!

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

eames posted:

anandtech still has excellent CPU reviews, they're just hidden on page 72 in one of their forum threads :lol:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/page-72#post-39391302

That user review seems better than most of the site reviews.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Truga posted:

The most hilarious thing about bulldozer is that apparently it aged better than sandy bridge? Weren't there benchmarks recently showing that in brand new games, i7-2600k is just slightly ahead of bulldozers? I might be misremembering.

It's only about 7 years too late in getting there, but I found it funny. :v:

I remember what you’re talking about but I thought it was vs the 2500k.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Jesus, that polar bear looks so goddamn skinny, it makes me sad. =(

Don’t worry, that bear is just a crisis actor.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I just bought a Fury X to gently caress about with because it looks pimp, and I need a small card with Freesync for an ITX case.

I know it's a hungry beast but I can undervolt / clock it. I'm cool with that. Has anyone here done this and checked with a Kill a Watt?

Here’s a reddit post I made with my nitro fury undervolting and underclocking it. Measured wattage at Wall with kill a watt.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/56ncbi/sapphire_fury_nitro_undervolting_and_underclocking/

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Since b450 was officially released today we should start seeing some 2300x and 2500x reviews popping up.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Unboxing embargos are dumb.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I wonder how the 2200g will stack up against the 2300X since they are both 4 core 4 threads but the 2200g is normally $99. I guess maybe the 2300X could sit below that MSRP of $125 and maybe the slightly higher clocks will be worth it.

2300X - $110

2500X - $135

2600 - $160

That pricing makes a bit more sense to me, like others said with the 2600 at $160 a $150 2500X doesn't make a lot of sense.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Thinking I should sell my 3770K, Z77 board, and 16GB DDR3 because the 120mm AIO is beginning to be Still Working But Too Old, and I don’t want to invest in new cooling for it. And as was mentioned in the other thread, people still pay good money for top-of-class components for a generation.

My thought is of getting a B450 board and a used 1600 on stock cooling until 8-core Zen2 appears and then swap it for that and a big rear end 240/280 cooler.

Thoughts? I know someone will shout about VRMs but the MSI boards seem to be well made and I have my eye on the B450M Mortar, since it’s the only option for a white board and an all white mATX design is kinda what I’m hyped up for.

The b450 MSI tomahawk seems to be the best vrm out of the b450 boards.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

LRADIKAL posted:

Seems to me that looking at a Ryzen 2, that a x470 board is going to be the wiser choice

From what I’ve seen the majority of x470 boards have similar vrm setups as some of the b450s until you get into the $200 range. I don’t see much of a point in getting x470 unless you need SLI or a specific board feature. You still get the big new features like XFR2, PBO and StoreMI. I’d be happy to look at info that says otherwise as there isn’t a ton out there.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 11, 2018

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

None of the VRM's on even the "good" B450 mobo's will do a decent job of supporting a overclocked(which is what I'm assuming you'll be doing with a big rear end cooler like that, either manually or by allowing the system to OC itself through XFR) 8C/16T Zen2.

They're fine for running stock 8C/16T or a somewhat overclocked 4-6C/8-12T Ryzen though so if you don't care about OC'ing 8C/16T you'll be set and just fine with that 1600.

If you do actually really plan on OC'ing (mild to moderately, not balls to the wall max every Mhz OC'ing) then the cheapest mobo worth a drat for that from a vendor with OK-ish BIOS support would be the ASUS Prime X470-Pro IMO. This opinion being based off Buildzoid's review which is here. Only rub is the stock VRM heatsinks are a joke so don't let the CPU volts get to 1.4v (BZ was getting over temp shutdowns, well north of 100C, at those volts) when OC'ing (going by BZ's comments keep it at 1.35-1.37v max) and you'll probably be OK for 24/7 use though the VRM will be running fairly toasty at those volts.

If you don't mind modding the stock mobo VRM HSF, or just pointing a fan at it which does seem to help though might not be enough at 1.4v vcore either, you won't care about that issue since you'll just fix it yourself and the actual VRM components and design are apparently just fine otherwise.

While its about older B350 mobos its still a worthwhile video on why all the cheaper, well more affordable, AM4 mobo's aren't all that good and are largely the same.

If you don't mind spending more than that I'd look at the ASUS ROG Strix X470-F or the GIGABYTE X470 AORUS GAMING 7.

The components are fine in of themselves and they are built OK but that is true of pretty much all the mobos from ANY decent manufacturer right now. The problem is they're flat out lying about what the design itself will do electrically speaking. Which BTW many of the others are doing as well on their AM4 $150-190 mobo's. If you're running at stock it won't matter but if you want to OC it'll matter. Exactly how much it'll matter will depend on how much you want to do OC-wise so YMMV here.

While technically true its still garbage for OC'ing 8C/16T Ryzen's period. Even for the 6C/12T Ryzen's it'll struggle quite a bit. They're just far too budget oriented. If you run stock clocks and turn of the auto OC features then yes its fine. But I don't think very many who'd want to use decent watercooling would do that.

The ASUS Prime X470-Pro has a proper 6 phase VRM that has good components and design that sells for $153 on newegg right now. They just cheaped out too much on the HSF's for it so it needs a fan pointed at it or a better HSF if you really want to OC a 8C/16T Ryzen.

The Buildzoid review is linked up above and while the guy rambles a bit too much for my liking he also does a decent job of reviewing something and explaining why something sucks and/or is good while also being fairly blunt about what is bullshit and what isn't.

Calling them garbage is being hyperbolic and that true 6 phase isn't going to get you much over the 4 phase on the tomahawk. I could see the case for getting the much better VRMs if you think the next ryzen gens are going to come with greater than 8 cores and you are planning for that but for 8 cores they are fine, even for overclocking. They do require a bit of airflow but then again so does the board you linked as well. I based this off level1techcs video and hardware unboxed. I appreciate the thoroughness that buildzoid has for these mobo and gpu reviews but not everyone is putting these chips under LN2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osvm26W4e3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWGzmbbimPw

Heres a nice list of VRMs for most of the boards.

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/pga-am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 11, 2018

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

For 8C/16T OC'ing they're absolutely garbage, the VRM will usually start to real hot and you can run into thermal shut down protection for a reason on some of them.

*shrugs* You might as well argue VRM phases don't matter at all if you're gonna say that.

BZ wasn't putting that mobo under LN2 either. Look at the CPU clocks. Look at the CPU temps. Look at the whole video, he gives the information in there at around 9min in FWIW. The guy is widely known for his LN2 stuff but he spends lots of time with air and AIO's for practical reasons and does give information and recommendations out for boards with that type of cooling in mind.

I appreciate you ignoring most of what I said there and selecting only what you wanted. I agreed with you saying that 6 true phases is better than a 4 phase, not that vrms don’t matter at all. Wendell said in his video the vrms were sitting in the 70s and 80s C on the tomahawk and handled the overclocked 2700X just fine. I didn’t say to get any B450 and overclock the hell out of the 2700x, I only talked about one specific B450 board. Watch the video if you haven’t already.

I guess these hardware threads aren’t much fun if we can’t call stuff garbage or poo poo and max that hyperbole meter out.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 11, 2018

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

edit: \/\/\/\/\/\/ I didn't ignore most, or any, of what you said at all there dude. I selectively quoted to keep the post length down since doing total quote posts of long length gets annoying after a while. And yeah I watched the video and the guy was basically fine with the VRM temps after making sure it had a 120mm fan blowing air around it in a case. 85C+ temps is pretty dang toasty at stock clocks for a CPU VRM in a open air bench. \/\/\/\/\/\/

That was overclocked running for 16 hours with the plexiglass cover on the test bench so it wasn’t open air at that point.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 11, 2018

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

At 9:55 in he gives the stock clock VRM temps on the open air test bench as a baseline and says its doing 88C under load for that mobo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqQcgwz1hYA

Ah I thought you talking about the level1tech video, not hardware unboxed. I just finished the Buildzoid video you linked and found it funny that the Asus pro heat sinks make the vrms hotter than some of these B450 boards, with the vrm clocking in at 92C or higher. It would be nice if these boards came with functional heat sinks and I/O covers that didn’t restrict airflow.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 11, 2018

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

TheFluff posted:

For most intents and purposes, a doubled 4-phase is pretty much as good as an actual 8-phase. The point of having a multi-phase VRM is to let many different components share the current load - in an 8-phase VRM, each phase (essentially consisting of a pair of MOSFETs, an inductor and one or more capacitors) is only turned on 1/8th of the time. These things turn on and off very fast - 300 kHz switching frequency is pretty typical, while higher end VRM's can be optimized for 500 kHz. You want a higher switching frequency and more "real" phases to smooth out voltage ripples and reduce transient voltage spikes since that helps keeping the CPU stable when overclocking.

A "fake" 8-phase with eight high/low MOSFET pairs and eight inductors but only four controller phases will turn on two "phases" at a time - each pair of phases will be turned on 1/4th of the time. For the most part it will behave like a "real" 8-phase thermally (since it splits the heat load over 8 phases' worth of components), but electrically it will be a 4-phase. A doubled 4-phase has the controller chip output PWM signals that turns on and off 4 doubler chips, and then each of those doubler chips will act as a pretty dumb 2-phase controller that turns on and off two phases alternately. Hence, you get 8 actual electrical phases, so it's almost as good as a "real" 8-phase. The only thing you usually miss out on is current balancing between the two phases in each pair because the doubler chips are usually too dumb to do that, but I think that's pretty much irrelevant in reality.

Hope I managed to explain it somewhat. If you want the gory details I recommend Texas Instruments' Application Report SLVA882, Multiphase Buck Design From Start to Finish (Part 1). It's actually pretty approachable!

e: WikiChips actually has an even more approachable explanation

This post was really informative, thanks. When you say doubled are you talking about have two high side and two low side mosfets per phase, or is there more to it?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

TheFluff posted:

Sorry, I got a bit unclear with the terminology. When I said "doubled 4-phase" in the post above I meant "an 8-phase that uses a 4-phase controller plus doubler chips". That is, the controller outputs 4 on/off signals (PWM signals), but instead of going directly into a MOSFET/inductor (a "phase"), the signal first goes into a doubling chip that turns it into two interleaved (alternating) signals. Hence, you get 8 distinct on/off signals and each MOSFET is turned on 1/8th of the time. You have 8 actual phases in every sense of the word, it's just that the controller chip only sees 4 phases and can only do current balancing on pairs of phases. It would perhaps be more accurate to call it a "8-phase with doublers"...?

When I was talking about a "fake 8-phase", I really meant "a 4-phase that tries to look like an 8-phase by having two of everything in each phase". So, just as with the doubled 4-phase, you have 4 PWM signals coming from the controller, and you have 8 power stages (high/low MOSFETs) and 8 inductors, but they turn on and off in pairs, so each one of them is turned on 1/4th of the time instead of 1/8th of the time. You have the components for 8 phases but from a control standpoint you only have 4.

Hope that clarifies it. I really need to come up with a term other than "phase" when I want to talk about the actual power circuitry so I don't have to go "a power stage, inductor and capacitor" every time.

e: for clarity, a power stage is the high and low side MOSFETs combined into a single chip, usually plus some temp/voltage monitoring bits

No that’s great, thanks a lot for responding. Is there an easy way for a person to look at a motherboard and tell whether something is for example a true 8 phase or in actuality a doubled 4 phase. I’ve noticed a lot of manufacturer marketing BS seeping in AMD calling things something when it’s actually not.

That wikichip link was very informative, especially to someone who admittedly has little knowledge in the subject and is trying learn.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 12, 2018

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
TR2 reviews are starting to trickle out at the usual places.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Any real difference between 1950X and 2950X performance? Is it the same difference as Ryzen, where you'd need to tune the 1950X manually and the 2950X can just enable XFR2 and be done?

From what I could find the 2950x can clock about 200mhz higher at most or so than the 1950x, usually just a 100 MHz higher. Best case I saw was about 10% faster, usually in the 5% range. Seems xfr2 and PBO is what gets it to peak higher but voltage nears 1.45V. Basically yea what you said, just turn on xfr2 and PBO.

The $600 1950X is a drat steal if it suits your needs.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 15, 2018

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

16c/32t 6 ghz 3700x on air confirmed.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

It's incredibly subtle going from Ultra to Very High, and even further down to High unless you spend all your time looking at the skybox. The only reason to set Volumetric Clouds to Ultra in AC Odyssey is if you want 20% less FPS for the privilege of saying you can do it with your big dick rig.

I mean ain’t that the only reason we build these machines, so we can repeatedly say big dick rig.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Right outta the intel playbook.

Polaris++++++

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Not gonna lie I’m am more hyped to see what the ps5 specs will look like with new AMD GPU and CPUs.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Yeah if anyone is expecting the PS5 before late 2020 you're clueless

No one said anything about it launching in 2019. It will interesting to see performance once they get off jaguar cores and get Ryzen in there. Plus whatever new GPU tech that isn’t based on Polaris.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

This seems weird to me. I haven't owned a console since the Super Nintendo, so excuse what may be a dumb question, but...doesn't this mean that the two base systems will be fairly similar to one another? If so, the only substantive differentiations will the online ecosystems and any locked-up exclusives?

The PS4 pro and Xbox one x have almost identical hardware, the GPU in the Xbox is slightly faster than the PS4 pro. Sony has been killing it with exclusives this generation though so folks might be more inclined to pick up a PS4 over Xbox despite being slightly slower.

Excited to see what performance gains are can be had with the new consoles by getting their slow jaguar CPUs, hoping for 60 FPS min for most games. The pro was my first console since the ps2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Space Racist posted:

I'm honestly curious how many CPU upgrades AssCreed Odyssey has spurred. I know it pushed me over the edge when it was 100%ing my old 6700K.

Is odyssey more cpu hungry than origins? Origins DLC would push my stock 9900k to 70-80% at times with a single core in the 90s. I’d see a power draw of a 120W on the cpu alone, it was nuts.