Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

LRADIKAL posted:

I should be happy that everything just works beyond expectations out of the box.

Yes, you should! That's a beast of a machine that should last you several years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

There have definitely been some growing pains with X370 chipset BIOS code. The latest release and beta BIOSes for the ASRock X370 Taichi still have annoying bugs, particularly with overclocking settings (a primary selling point for the board), but I've found that overclocking works flawlessly via userspace tools i.e. Ryzen Master on Windows or ZenStates.py on Linux.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

celewign posted:

My god, going from an fx8320 to this ryzen 1700 is like night and day.

Bask in the buttery smooth multitasking. Oooh yeah gimme all the threads.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

That opens up some interesting options for the desktop replacement/sff workstation niche. Most people will probably keep running them in desktops at max TDP though.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's always this sing and dance of hiding the KVM hypervisor and ideally not using the Hyper-V extensions (especially the SynIC helps with performance). Did this change?

I've had very good results with hiding KVM and leaving all the Hyper-V extensions enabled, but changing the Hyper-V vendor string to something non-default. It seems like NVIDIA's consumer drivers look for particular hypervisor vendor strings to detect GPU passthrough, but don't actually check for or care about the actual paravirtualization features.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Stupid AWESOME :awesome:

More cores plz

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Yeah I think the ASRock UEFI is just buggy. The only thing I overclock in the UEFI on my X370 Taichi is RAM, and I set the P-states after booting. It's more predictable that way.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

It's like having two PCs in one!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

Is there some sort of trick for finding AM4/X570 based workstation motherboards with not just the ability to boot ECC memory in non-ECC mode but actual verified ECC support - as well as a minimum of one PCI-ex x16 and two PCI-ex x8 ports plus a minimum of two M.2 x4 slots (preferably three), a minimum of 2 RJ45 connectors on a not-Realtek or similarily-lovely MAC+PHY, and preferably a baseboard management controller that runs IPMI with vKVM?

The plan is a minimum of 12 cores with SMT which givs me 8 threads for FreeBSD which is my daily driver, 16 threads for Windows when I wanna do some gaming, and 16 threads to spare for compiling stuff with poudriere when not gaming.

This gets as close to your requirements as I've seen: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Pro-WS-X570-ACE/

Verified ECC support
3x PCIe 4.0 x16 slots (all x8 electrical)
2x M.2 slots (one 4.0x4, one 4.0x2)
1x U.2 connector (PCIe 3.0 x4)
Two GigE ports (one Intel, one Realtek)
IPMI, but no iKVM

Slap an x1 Intel NIC in there and get a U.2 to M.2 adapter and you're there except for the iKVM.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Yep, this makes the choice easy to upgrade from a 1700 non-x to a 3900x in my x370 Taichi and then wait for AM5 for the next upgrade. The x600 chipsets better be awesome or I don't see a lot of people buying them with DDR5 around the corner.

AMD's marketing gaffe aside, I've had a very good experience with the Zen line of CPUs and am glad they brought some actual innovation and competition into the CPU market again.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Klyith posted:

(Sad for me, because putting a 3700X into my X370 is my plan for keeping this system until we're 2 or 3 years into DDR5 systems.)

This was my plan too, but I went with a 3900X because it's the best $/core value of the supported options for X370.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Unless your gaming rig is a VM :getin:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

If you’re like that dude with two Titans, you just use GPU Passthrough and spin up your gaming OS as a VM with one GPU, and leave the other on the host OS for transcoding. Your “gaming rig” restarts in about five seconds and causes zero server downtime.

Or run a bare metal hypervisor and have both gaming and transcoding in VMs. That's in the realm of possibility now on mainstream PCs with high core counts and IOMMU.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

X570 being essentially the same as the Matisse I/O die makes it a monster in the market segment for both features (IOMMU, SR-IOV) and number of PCIe lanes. It's pretty great for some lower end workstation applications that there's no practical difference between the CPU lanes and the chipset lanes if you plan your build with the chipset lane multiplexing in mind, even if it does use a bit more power overall, because it saves lots of money vs HEDT.

That definitely doesn't matter for a "mostly gaming" build that I imagine is the mainstream use case though.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The only good reason to get an aftermarket cooler is if the stock one is too noisy. Zen2/3 basically overclock themselves out of the box.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Ulio posted:

Fyi avoid the Asus Prime pro x570 piece of poo poo motherboard even though the design is amazing.

What sucks about it?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

pmchem posted:

can someone explain this, what does this mean? will a 5600G be better performance/benchmark-wise than a 5600X at stock settings?

also, what's the latest rumor mill regarding AMD chipsets? any new chipsets on the horizon in the next 6 months?

Imagine a 5600X but with integrated graphics.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

ufarn posted:

Will those be usable with a dedicated GPU like Intel's, or is it (still?) mutually exclusive?

You should still be able to use a dGPU but some of the PCIe lanes will be used by the iGPU, if it's anything like previous Zen processors with integrated graphics.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Same, I got one at $399 in the summer. It's very good

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm starting to think that being an early adopter on Zen 1 was an increasingly raw deal, since I have the exact same problems and keep having to drop memory timings to even boot, but I can't justify spending dosh to get off of this 1600 with how the market is, and I won't get onto a dead-end socket.

I think I'm down to 2800 from 3200 now.

I got a 1700 within a couple months of launch in 2017 and it's been chugging along fine this whole time at 2933 CL16 on some ECC B-die binned for 2400. Then again I think I got good silicon because it's rock solid stable at 4.0GHz on 1.35v.

Too bad your 1600 is probably out of warranty at this point or I'd say try RMAing it. Have you had the SOC overvolted pretty high for those memory clocks? Mine needed 1.1v to get to 2933 but that's in the safe range as far as I have read.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

/shrug

and here we are with three chips with dying memory controllers on the last page

I don't know if you're including my post in this, but I said my 1700 is still running fine. You're right though that the mobo set the SOC voltage higher automatically when I bumped the memory speed. It certainly could be to an unsustainable level, but I haven't observed any degradation yet.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Harik posted:

maybe there's a pcie x1 cirrus logic or similar out there i could use.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01E9Z2D60

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Any particular reason you're using the UEFI-configured RAID rather than plain Linux md?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

No strong reason - I thought that AMD RAID may offer an advantage over software RAID, but if that's not the case then I'll go with mdadm.

Tl;dr: You're better off using plain mdadm.

The UEFI chipset RAID is still a software driven RAID that requires the OS to have a driver that supports the UEFI's metadata flavor. The big downside of this compared to plain mdadm with standard Linux metadata is that it's more difficult to troubleshoot and usually not portable between UEFI implementations. I recommend turning off RAID mode in the UEFI and just going with plain mdadm.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Say I have four DDR4 sticks with JEDEC 3200 1.2v spec, what are the chances four of them will run in a 5950X, or rather upcoming VCache Zen3, at actually 3200MHz, with tightened CAS at 1.25v? (--edit: they're single rank, if that matters.)

Probably pretty good, depending on how tight you try to go with the timings and what type of die it is.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

First gen Ryzen had a not-great memory controller, so you'd have to juice the voltage quite a bit to get decent memory speeds and that probably contributed to the premature aging and instability over time.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Dropping in with an anecdote: I tried to flash my ASRock Rack X470D4U BMC this week and it completely poo poo the bed. I assumed I was well out of warranty but submitted a ticket anyway, and after a bit of diagnostics they just told me tonight that they're sending me a new preflashed BMC chip. Super happy with the support and though I'm glad this means I don't have to buy a whole new mobo right now, I'll definitely look at ASRock Rack products whenever I upgrade this machine.

The BMC EEPROM is actually socketed? Big if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

K8.0 posted:

5800X3D in stock at NewEgg if anyone is still trying to get one.

I grabbed one from antonline, which also seems to have them in stock.