Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SinineSiil posted:

PhysX isn't just fancy particles, it's general physics engine just like Bullet or Havok. Unreal 4 uses it for its physics calculations and quite few other games do so as well.

Nvidia-only GPU accelerated parts of it are very very rarely used nowadays. Last commercial game I recall using that was Batman Arkham Knight.

Killing Floor 2 and Fallout 4 have some Nvidia only particle/debris effects. There was also a lack luster Warhammer 40k game that had it, and that Free to Play Ghost in the Shell game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why? The plate is large, the radiator itself seems to be same size as others. If things like the NH-D15 or the Dark Rock Pro 3 don't kill mainboards, that TR cooler won't either.

Also, perspective in the picture.

http://i.imgur.com/mnkAMKE.mp4

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Just make sure your installers do a good job on keystone termination. And on the drain install. My installers messed up both (apparently they'd never dealt with CAT6a or any shielded stuff before?!) so I had to go and redo all of mine. Was very time consuming at first but after the first 5-6 it got fairly easy. Works great now.

CAT6a comes in unshielded as well as outer shielded and individual pairs shielded.

MOST people's home use should be fine with Cat6a unshielded, but I guess you can never go wrong with future proofing a little.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SourKraut posted:

Not being confrontational and I don’t want to sidetrack the thread, but relative to? Pretty much everything in the 2007-2008 period was relative steaming piles of poo poo, and all of the first and second generation “smartphones” had strengths and weaknesses. A number of (lovely) Android smartphones were even coming in at a higher price than the second and third generations of iPhone.

I am sure that this will become a massive derail, but at launch the first generation iPhone:

as 2g only
did not have GPS
could not send MMS
could not record video
did not have apps
could not multitask
could not copy and paste
was only available on 1 carrier in the US
did not have expandable storage (and the max storage you could get was 8GB)
did not have a calendar
could not update the OS over the air (no OTA updates)*
required iTunes on a PC or Mac to even set up
did not have a front facing camera
could not get email from exchange or lotus email servers
cost $500 for 4GB and $600 for 8GB and still required a 2 year contract on top of that

By comparison, Windows mobile phones that were available at the time of the iPhones launch did not have any of the same shortcomings.

Now, I am not saying Windows Mobile was good, because it was not. And the iPhone had a much better user interface, and in most cases bettery battery life than other phones available at the time. But it was missing practically ever feature that you would have said a smartphone needed to have be called a smartphone, even at the time.

* I am not 100% sure that Windows Mobile did OTA updates, but I am leaving this on the list.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
The fact that it had a touch screen UI that was designed to be used by a finger instead of a stylus, a click wheel, or a 5 way button was a pretty big feature. Also that it had a pretty good capacitive touch screen sensor and could do multi touch was also very impressive.

The browser was good for the time, especially when compared to the standard WAP browser a lot of phones had. But other smartphones had real browsers like Opera.

But then again, one of the iPhones selling points was that their good browser was built in and was the default (it just works). Windows Mobile you had to go download some 3rd party app to add the usability that you needed.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SourKraut posted:

I think you might be tacking on a few things that Android also didn't have when it launched in 2008

I didn't mention Android anywhere in my post.

SourKraut posted:

while Windows "Mobile" did support many of those, it often depended on the vendor and wasn't necessarily universally provided

I didn't I mean to imply that those features were universal. But most of those features were available on every Windows Mobile phone, and some phones even had all of them.

SourKraut posted:

Then, to get all of those features, you were paying a lot more than $500/$600

I don't remember any specific prices, but I don't think I paid any more than that for for a high end HTC Windows Mobile phone that all most/all of those functions.

SourKraut posted:

I think people forget how horrible the Windows CE experience was. Restarting several times a day because of instability issues? Yes please!

I am thinking you didn't even read my post because I specifically said that Windows Mobile was not good.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

FaustianQ posted:

Yeah, it's absolute garbage and it's just mindblowing they think it's acceptable. It's also in a 35W configuration, so it's basically running below UHD 630 performance. It's super dumb and I can't figure out how they think it'll sell at that price. To be special it'd need to somehow fully use the IMC to feed the 512 GCN3 ALUs, it'd have to be capable of running both DDR4 and GDDR5 simultaneously, and it'd need an adequate cooling solution to run at full speed. Instead it's just an obnoxiously expensive, underpowered toy.

Now, this on the other hand might be worthwhile https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/udoo/udoo-bolt-raising-the-maker-world-to-the-next-leve

I wanted to chime in on this as say that I was a backer of their previous x86/arduino hybrid board, and they missed their ship date by 9 or 9 months, they didn't have some of the advertised features working like HDMI CEC (still not working completely correct), and their customer service is really really bad. My unit shipped without the screws for acrylic case that was included and it took them 7 months to even ship them (despite being repeatedly told that they had already shipped them or would that day). I know many other users had to wait months to get the antennas for their wifi modules.

Basically, I wouldn't trusty these clowns to deliver what they promise or on time.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

NewFatMike posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13788/intels-unlocked-28-core-xeon-w-3175x-oem-tells-us-around-8k-usd

TL;DR Intel's 28C part could be priced anywhere from $4,000 to $8,000. In American dollars. I wonder if that includes the chiller.

We both know it won't.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
At this point I am expecting them to announce ZEN2 is a mobile phone exclusive.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Truga posted:

hell yeah super orb

there's two counter-rotating fans in there

That brings back memories. I used Orbs on every build I did there for a few years.

But My favorite fan/heatsink combo was the Vantec VA4C7040 Aeroflow Heatsink.

The fan was tip magnetic driven.

They claimed that with out the motor being under the fan, there would be less of an air "shadow" and that the air flow would be better and quieter. In practice, it was decent, but not silent.

But it was the torq-iest loving fan I have ever had and I made the mistake of putting my finger in it once while it was running. It went to the bone.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Statutory Ape posted:

did you put your finger there intentionally is what I want to know

:( yes...

Klyith posted:

Funny thing is, it actually was incredibly *un*torquey. One of the problems with them was that they were super easy to jam at startup.

It cut the gently caress out of your finger because the fan had a solid rim and mangets around the outside of the blades. Meaning it had a ton of mass moving fast around the outside edge. A ton of rotational inertia = fan blades don't want to stop when they encountered your finger.

Ah, good point. You are correct and I do remember the fan failing to start some times, especially once it was older.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Fans run by Internal Combustion only for me, thanks!

My fans are run by a stirling engine, so they are powered by the heat sources they are cooling. The better they run, the worse they run.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

K8.0 posted:

I bet under 1% of Netflix consumption is 4k.

Practically any TV that is more than 40" and sold in the last 3 years is 4K and probably have Netflix built in. I know 4k probably isn't the most of their usage, but it's got to be more than 1%.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Also to add something on topic, I thought this was a useful chart.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
A couple of PCIe questions:

Have they shown any kind of block diagram of how the PCIe lanes connect to the CPU cores? Do they go to the CPU chiplets or to the memory controller die?

I saw that they are going to be 16+4+4 lanes: graphics slot, M.2 slot, and mobo chipset/peripherals. Can PCIe 4.0 run in mixed mode? ie: Can you use a 3.0 GPU and a 4.0 M.2 drive at the same time at their native speeds?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Unfortunately, that picture doesn't show if the PCIe lanes go to the CCX chiplets or to the memcontroller. I am curious how PCIe bandwidth works on the CPUs with more than one CCX die.

Also, that image is misleading/wrong. It shows the 4x chipset downlink on both sides of the CPU.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 11, 2019

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

xgalaxy posted:

Noctua came up with a good compromise I think.

Noctua: Aww, you want RGB?
Noctua: NO! You can’t have it

Noctua has been reluctant to offer their fans in anything but the ugliest color ever seen by man. RGB is 100% out of the question for them.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

jisforjosh posted:

I've got 8 RGB fans, an RGB AIO, RGB mouse, RGB Keyboard, and RGB on the back of my monitor. I still feel empty inside

I made underdesk lighting that does this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-kGNQrF29Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7T0qC7OQpc

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Mr.Radar posted:

"Matisse" is AMD's codename for the Ryzen 3000 desktop CPUs

But I will never think of anything other than this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4snBmTzEt8

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Toofpaste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLYwU1mi90M

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SwissArmyDruid posted:

As I understand it, in Zen2, if Core 0 can't find what it needs in its L3, even if what it needs is just a millimeter away in the adjacent CCX's L3, it still goes to DRAM.

By "a millimeter away", do you mean in a neighboring CCX's L3 cache?

edit: by Neighbor CCX, I mean on the same chiplet?

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 7, 2019

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I mean the other CCX that shares the same die as core 0.

edit: Yes, the same chiplet.

ignore all this... I missed that you responding to someone else specifically.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Am I correct in believing that the 3960x is 4 chiplets with 1 core disabled on each CCX and not 3 chiplets with all cores enabled?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Can anyone explain to me why the 3960x and 3970x lose to the 3950x in some game benchmarks? On paper, the 3970x should be at least as good at any task as the 3950x.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Cygni posted:

Single core turbo frequency is very slightly higher on the 3950x. So things that favor frequency over lots of cores (like games) still like 3950x very slightly more. It is in the neighborhood of a couple hundred mhz difference.

At 1440p/4k, the fps difference is going to be very small though.

Ah, I had missed that when comparing. I thought that the boost clock was the same and that the base clock was higher on the 3970x. That makes a bit more sense.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Munkeymon posted:

That's weird - I had to reinstall Windows 10 on someone's laptop the other day that had been pretty obviously updated from 7 and it was perfectly happy to go without a new license.

A lot of laptop bioses have a certificate in them that Windows will read to active and Windows 10 will usually activate with a Windows 7 cert.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SwissArmyDruid posted:

AMD is awesome, the average Asetek AIO is probably dead after three years anyways, Noctua has never not been awesome, it's why they can make fans the color that they cemented their branding on and people will swarm to buy them anyways.

You can get them in black now. It's their Chromax series, which in any other brand would be the RGB fans, but Noctua Chromax is just not that brown and beige color.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I am interested in the Ice Giant cooler. I want to see if their production version does as well as the prototype that youtubers got to review several months ago.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

The Ryzen (Zen 2) auto overclocker from 1usmus of the dram calculator drops 7pm Eastern
https://mobile.twitter.com/1usmus/status/1310526652758274051

What are the "Addition Tweaks"?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Cygni posted:

I sorta remember it being a confluence of Creative putting Aureal out of business and killing 3D audio, Creatives drivers becoming bloated and unusable, and “sufficient” audio implementations of AC97 getting integrated into south bridges setting the stage for nobody bothering anymore. I guess you could say it was really just CPUs getting powerful enough to do audio in software as a side project, really.

Multiplayer games and voice chat kinda killed the 4.1/5.1 PC speaker setups too, cause everybody went to headphones.

Aureal was awesome and I will never forgive Creative for killing them.

Creative sued Aureal over some patents or something and Aureal actually won in court, but the court cost bankrupted them. Creative then bought Aureal and shitcanned all of their products, tech, and APIs. It's sad because A3D was so much more advanced than EAX.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Harik posted:

Or finding a single core on a single processor that has it's own idea of what AES is, resulting in encryption that can only be decrypted on that same core.

Great, a processor with a speech impediment.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Harik posted:

Now this is pretty much perfect for a mini homelab server. dual 10gbe, ipmi, 2x m.2 nvme and dual PCIe 4.0 x8 for raid controllers.

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4U-2L2T#Specifications

look ma, no chipset fan.

I'm tempted but ultimately for my purposes that's paying $300 for IPMI since I can get the rest cheaper.

This is the board I have for my home server. But I bought it refurbed for $180 off of eBay. It is a good board, feature wise.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Paul MaudDib posted:

out of curiosity, have you tried using ECC UDIMMs on it, and have you verified that it comes up in linux as reporting ECC support? the predecessor to this board was one that someone here on SA reported that while it was booting with ECC sticks, it wasn't showing as actually having correction capabilities enabled. Obviously maybe they were doing something wrong - it is bizarre that a server-segment board that advertises ECC as a feature, wouldn't actually do it.

Yes, I am using ECC memory on it with a 3950x CPU.

If this is accurate, then ECC is working:

root@Unraid:~# dmidecode -t memory
# dmidecode 3.3
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.3.0 present.

Handle 0x000D, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
Physical Memory Array
Use: System Memory
Error Correction Type: Multi-bit ECC
Maximum Capacity: 128 GB
Error Information Handle: 0x000C
Number Of Devices: 4

If there is some other way of verifying that it is really ECC, let me know and I can try it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

power crystals posted:

Really what I'd wish we'd see board makers do once PCIe 5 GPUs become a thing is switch to 8x GPU slots since PCIe 5x8 is basically the same as PCIe 4x16 and that already seems like more than enough, use the other half of the slot's normal lanes for two m.2 slots, and the x4 that used to go to the original CPU m.2 for four PCIe 5x1 slots for things like network cards or USB controllers or whatever other random crap you could want to add as even a x1 link in gen 5 is way faster than most peripherals would ever need. At least unless either Intel or AMD finally give desktop chips more than the absolute minimum number of PCIe lanes off the CPU.

When SLI was a thing, this was more or less what you were doing when you put anything in the second slot. GPUs where perfectly fine at running at 8x lanes.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
So does the 7950x3D have this same issue on those bioses?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Enos Cabell posted:

Huh, weird. I just went back to the page for the x670 elite ax and this morning it showed a bunch of downloads, F8c being the most recent, and right now the only one listed is F7.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X670-AORUS-ELITE-AX-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Same, and I just updated to F8c. Now I am not feeling very good about it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Has anyone gotten any of those Noctua off set plates for the 7000 series? Any feedback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

BurritoJustice posted:

If you want a 7950X3D for the use case of wanting background MT tasks while gaming, you've gotta get used to using affinity. I have genuinely no clue why AMD doesn't use affinity in the first place.

Partly because a lot of anticheat systems will not let you set affinity.