Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Thanks for the help guys!

Buying the 3600

What price should be looking for, for a motherboard? Seeing that most stuff is either too expensive or out of stock.

I just helped a buddy build out a new setup around an R5 3600, and yeah, component stock is hosed at the moment. Though, we managed to snag an MSI B450M Pro-VDH MAX board from Amazon for $90ish which according to the PC building thread is a solid budget board. It's still available here: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-ProSerie...ctronics&sr=1-1

If you can/want/opt for an ATX case, the B450 Tomahawk MAX for $115 seems like the go to (if you can find it in stock). Reason I had my friend go with the Pro-VDH MAX is because his case only supports microATX boards.

[edit] Also I learned from the PC building thread that any "MAX" branded motherboard from MSI supports Ryzen 3000 series CPUs out the box, no BIOS updated required. That was another thing that helped making picking a motherboard easier for my friend, since he doesn't want to gently caress with any BIOS updates when building lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Where the hell is desktop Renoir?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

So are Ryzen 4xxx APUs the end of the line for my B450 Mortar mainboard? If so, I guess I'm ok with that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mdxi posted:

In case you haven't seen it in any video game oriented threads/fora, here's what Unreal Engine 5 can do with RDNA2 hardware: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5KtatMcUw

It's pretty, but rendered at 30 fps. Where's muh HFR?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

It's just being true to the console experience.

Haven't Sony and MS made a big deal about this upcoming gen being capable of 60-120+ FPS at 1080p/4k?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

c0burn posted:

I have a 3200 set that will only run at 3000. I really should mess around with the voltages but life's too short

Ryzen and tediously tinkering with RAM timings/voltages when you get a pair of RAM whose XMP profile won't properly set is annoying, but we deal.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I believe my Manchester-based Athlon 64 X2 rig still boots. It's on an Epox 9NPA+ nForce 4 based mainboard with 2x GeForce 6800GS cards in SLI. I have it stowed away in the crawlspace now, but I last booted it up maybe like 3-4 years ago? And it worked just fine, lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Just LOL if you didn't go from Athlon Tbird -> Athlon XP -> Athlon64 -> Core2duo -> Core I5 Sandybridge/Ivy bridge -> Back to AMD.

Pentium (Compaq DeskPro 2000) -> Pentium III (HP Pavillion 8665C) -> Athlon (Thunderbird — 1st PC build) -> Athlon 64 X2 (Manchester — 2nd PC build) -> Core 2 Duo (I forget which model, but it was inside some SFF IBM box) -> Phenom II X4 (Propus — 3rd PC build) > Core i3/i5 (Haswell — 4th/5th PC build) -> Ryzen (RavenRidge)

For my brother, I built his PCs over the years that went from Pentium 4 (Northwood), Athlon 64, Haswell i5, to where he is now with a Ryzen 7 2700X. I remember when I built my first PC for myself (I was roughly 14 or so), I followed a guide that was in an issue of Maximum PC, lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I now remember reading about how the Opteron 165 was a super good overclocker on air cooling back in like 2005-2006ish and was tempted to go that route.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sneeze Party posted:

If you're noticing that it's not cutting it anymore, now would be a good time.*

*Disclaimer. Now isn't that great because of component stock being demolished. It'll be hard to find stuff either in stock or at decent prices, or both.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sneeze Party posted:

Power supplies are the only things I've heard of being somewhat marked up right now. Processor sales all the time, motherboards are available, RAM is relatively cheap... right?

I helped a friend source parts for a PC build a couple weeks ago and it was a bitch to find almost everything in stock at reasonable prices. YMMV :shrug:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

So, should I hold off on desktop Renoir for Cezanne then since Zen 3 is the end of the road for B450? I don't really need to upgrade just yet anyways.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

A friend of mine has sworn off AMD CPUs because he had to remove his R5 3600 a few times, and each time whenever he tried to take off the heatsink, the CPU was ripped out of the socket, still stuck to the heatsink. Lmao, I felt so bad for him. One time he had to fix some bent pins on the CPU. The CPU is fine and works, but I'm like 90% sure he hosed up the socket on the B450 board he was for the new build during one of the ripped out incidents, and he ended up having to go back to his old B350 board.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, I've removed my Ryzen chip a few times no problem with the twisty motion, and told my friend to do the same. He just couldn't finesse it enough I guess, lol. I even had him warm up the CPU first to try and loosen the thermal adhesive by playing some games for a bit before he had to remove it one time, but he still ended up ripping the CPU out of the socket.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

pixaal posted:

Is he putting on like an entire tube of arctic silver? God drat is that poo poo sticky.

Both times he ripped out the CPU was with pre-applied thermal paste: 1st time with with he stock heatsink that came with the 3600, and second time was with a Wraith Max cooler.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

I still want to know why he's replacing his cooler this often.

First time he pulled out the CPU was because he hosed up the stock HSF install; no bent pins though, and he was able to put CPU back in the B450 board no problem, attached stock cooler; the PC was running fine. The temps were a bit warmer than he'd like, so he got a Wraith Max on the cheap.

Second time he ripped out the CPU was when he removed the stock cooler because he was going to replace it with a Wraith Max cooler; bent pins this time, he bent them back, installed the CPU and Wraith Max on the B450 board.

Third time it happened was when he had to remove the Wraith Max because the B450 board wouldn't post, which I diagnosed was the result of either the pins bent back into place on the CPU, or possible socket damage during the second pull, lmao.

Fourth time was when he had to remove his old Ryzen 5 1600 from his B350 board so that he could use that board for his 3600 (he ripped the 1600 out of the socket of the B350 board).

Right now the 3600 is running fine in the B350 board, but he's having some other weird interaction/issue with the 1660 Super and his specific B350 board; long story short, he came across a "solution" to fix said issue by setting the power profile in Windows to High Performance in order to keep things stable... but that means his CPU idles at like 3+ GHz and 50C. Lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 14, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

E2M2 posted:

So I just built my wife a super budget machine.

Athlon 3000g
Asus B450M-A/CSM
16gb DDR4 Corsair Vengence 3000mhz
430W Corsair

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Anyways the question is why I can't set the ram to COPD speeds without crashing? Its giving it 1.35v on the DRAM. Straight up Youtube crashed it. And sometimes it wouldn't even POST past BIOS. I think I had to manually set it to 2933mhz to get into Windows.

100% likely because the version of the RAM you have isn't on your motherboard's QVL (quality vendor list). The Vengeance LPX RAM part number is probably listed on your motherboard QVL, but because of Corsair's super lovely inventory practices, you likely got a batch of LPX RAM from a revision that wasn't tested/isn't 100% compatible with your motherboard DESPITE having the same QVL part number. I've run into the same problem with Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM, twice. My Plex server only supports Vengeance LPX ver 4.31 DDR4-3200, but when I ordered the same part number online to add another 16GB, I received ver 4.36 or something, and I can barely run the RAM at 2933 MHz.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

QVL lists usually don't matter.

Not in my experience with Ryzen, lmao.

quote:

If your RAM is dual-rank, that is the reason - not it being incompatible. Running four dual-rank sticks is like running 8 single-rank ones, which consumer CPU memory controllers can't do at high RAM speeds.

See the following regarding my friend's issue with trying to get his Corsair Vengeance LPX sticks to run at their rated speed:

teagone posted:

ElehemEare posted:

Wait this is a thing? gently caress me. I have CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 v4.32, not v4.31. If this is my problem wouldn't I expect a DIMM debug, at least?

Hello, welcome to the recent experience I had when helping a friend build their PC, lol:

teagone posted:

Friend of mine got his PC all built, but he's having issues with getting the RAM to run at 3200MHz. Specs are Ryzen 5 3600, MSI Pro-VDH MAX mainboard, 2x16GB QVL listed Corsair RAM kit. With the XMP profile enabled in BIOS, the speed stays locked at 2133MHz. With the XMP profile enabled and manually setting the DRAM frequency to 3200 (everything else on auto), the board spits out a Memory Overclocking Fail error, sending him back into the BIOS. I had him try using the boards "Memory Try It!" CAS 16 3200MHz timing instead of XMP, but gave the same fail error. Also tried increasing DRAM voltage to 1.4, and still nothing.

The QVL part number is the exact same on mainboard's support page, but it does list a specific version number of 4.31... is it possible that he may have gotten a newer/different revision that would cause instability issues? The SPD tab in CPU-Z unfortunately doesn't list the version number, but he's going to remove the RAM module later to check the part label. Everything else in the SPD tab (below) matches up with what's listed on the mainboard's support page though.

Here's the QVL listing on the Pro-VDH MAX's compatibility page:

[edit] My only guess is that maybe he needs to install the new BIOS update with the AGESA 1.0.0.5 firmware? The board's current BIOS is the version just before that one.

teagone posted:

Confirmed, the RAM my friend received is version 4.32, not 4.31... ver 4.32 is not listed on the Pro-VDH MAX's QVL. That's unfortunate. Super annoying that the different versions of RAM share the same exact part number, and that you can't choose which version you get when ordering.

So, is it safe to assume the different version is likely why he can't properly run the RAM at 3200MHz?

teagone posted:

Was able to post and boot into Windows no problem using these settings:

I feel like with the CAS at 14, that should be comparable to like CAS 16/18 3200 right? Or just a little performance left on the table? Or am I completely wrong, lol.

So, unable to get the PC to boot with the RAM at CAS 16 3200, but CAS 14 3000 works no problem. Ryzen is weird. I suspect my Plex server (Ryzen 3 2200G/MSI B450M Mortar) trying to run 4.32 RAM sticks with 4.31 RAM sticks in a 4x8GB config is what was causing instability running the RAM past 2933MHz. I opened a ticket with Corsair to see if they can swap my 4.32 modules with 4.31 sticks, but haven't heard back yet.

I had similar issues trying to get my own ver 4.32 DDR4-3200 Vengeance LPX sticks on an MSI B450M Mortar board (latest BIOS) and a Ryzen 3 2200G to run at 3200MHz. I could only ever get the sticks to cap out at 3000 MHz on my Plex server; this was running with ONLY the ver 4.32 sticks installed. If I ran the 4.32 sticks with the 4.31 sticks together, I could sometimes boot at 2933MHz, but if I ever had to restart it was 50/50 if the RAM timings/frequency would stick or do the memory fail boot loop to reset the timings back to the JEDEC speed.

I can run the 4.31 sticks at their rated 3200 MHz speed without issue... because that specific version is on the QVL of my Plex server's motherboard.

[edit] Also, Corsair's RMA department won't/can't swap your sticks with the proper version if you didn't get the version number you wanted. Because of that interaction I had, I'm personally never buying or recommending Corsair RAM again lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 16, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MikeC posted:

Get QVL RAM for Ryzen. The small premium you have to pay in money and time is worth it when you could end up being the guy fiddling with memory timings to get it stable.

Yup. The thing is you don't get to pick what version of Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM you get from whatever vendor you're ordering from online. So while the part number for the Vengeance LPX is on the QVL, you're basically playing the lottery when it comes to what version you end up with because of Corsair's aforementioned lovely inventory practices, unless you physically got to a Best Buy or Micro Center and ask the employees to look for the specific version of the LPX kit you need... which is dumb, and why I now won't recommend Corsair RAM for any potential Ryzen builders.

[edit]

Some Goon posted:

but the performance difference between 2933 and 3000 or even 3200 will be imperceptible in all circumstances, so I wouldn't worry about it.

While true, it sucks when you don't get exactly what you paid for.

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 16, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mdxi posted:

After the past week I'm forced to admit to myself that I'm peeved that the Renoir APUs aren't available for the DIY market. What I can't decide is if this peevishness is justified or not.

Half of me feels that I get it; the global situation has boned everything to one degree or another, so it's safer from an expectations perspective to announce nothing and just ship what you got when you got it. The other half feels that this game of secret product releases and product forecasting by way of Magic 8 Ball ("When will Vermeer ship?" "Yes, 2020"; "What does the product line look like?" "Reply hazy; check twitter for leaks") is the most dumbass way to run a multibillion dollar company imaginable, and that they could at the least announce intentions in place of schedules.

I'm just grumpy

I've resorted to just waiting on Cezanne to put the final chip on the roadmap in my Plex/Steam server's B450 board.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Are A520 boards a smart purchase for someone with a relatively modest budget? Or are they in general just too gimped compared to just shelling out the cash for a B550 board?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CPU being paired with the potential board is a Ryzen 5 3600. My buddy currently has the 3600 in a B350 board because of reasons I mentioned before in this thread. He's decided to brave removing the CPU once more and is keen on getting a new motherboard, and has asked me for recommendations again. Trying to save him a few bucks, and saw Newegg has a few A520 boards that look decent. Is there one that's a general recommendation?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ok, scratch A520. My friend said they're willing to bump up their budget to $150 on the motherboard so looks like B550 it is, lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Bring back CPU cartridges IMO :colbert:

Intel's compute element is sort of a return to the "Slot CPU" days. I'd love a cheaper/better AMD competitor product in that formfactor tbh.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

My brother got a 2700X last year for $150 from Microcenter. I wonder if it'll go even lower this year.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lol, tech jesus owns.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

No the best was when you realize you forgot to bend back some random tab that some rear end in a top hat put on the shield for some reason and now you have a piece of metal blocking your Ethernet port and now you start debating whether it's worth taking put the whole thing, trying to bend/break/snip the tab from outside the case, or just using a spare NIC you have laying around

This poo poo is too real. Made me laugh pretty hard because I 100% experienced this on a couple builds back in the early 2000s lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cygni posted:

u know i had that ASUS K8N nForce3 250 board with a Sempron 3100+ OCed and hard modded to be an A64 baby, nForce boys rise up

I had an Epox nForce 4 9NPA+ SLI board with an Athlon 64 X2 3800+, paired up with 2x EVGA Geforce 6800GS cards in SLI back in the early 2006. Was probably the highest end system I ever built, relative to price/era.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Waiting on that Noctua Redux Line CPU cooler.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Holy gently caress the 5600X is a beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Pro tip for RAM over locking: put your reset switch on the clear CMOS jumper. You still need to completely power off but it saves so much time if you get too greedy.

I think most motherboards come with some sort of setting in the BIOS to reset tuned RAM timings back to their JEDEC default if they don't stick/fail after a set amount of times (default is usually 3). The last few boards I used in builds from ASRock and MSI have this feature.