Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

SourKraut posted:

If I can get a R5 1600X for $217, is that a good "jump in" price? It seems like a lot of people are going with the R7 1700 (non-X), so want to make sure I'm not missing something.

I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that all of the non-X ones will overclock to the same clock as their X counter part and come with a cooler. Normally the cooler wouldn't be a big deal, but AM4 cooler brackets are some what rare these days. So in short, you're still spending more even money to get less, since all of the motherboards can overclock unlike Intel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

incoherent posted:

Ryzen needs serious design wins. It's feel-good press material to talk about the "enthusiasts" and "end users" but the real money is when companies buy thousands of them.

I'd probably guess that getting back into the laptop market would maybe be a design win, but I'm guessing we'll have to wait until Ryzen APUs for that.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Here's a fun little video of Gamer Nexus benchmarking the 1090T. I remember when this chip came out, people were always saying that it would be amazing once games and programs were using all of the cores. Somehow, 8 years later, that never really became true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew4A5fYyKv4

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

These motherboard chipset conventions are getting a little ridiculous. Intel has the X299 chipset, so we'll call our competing chipset the X399. That will show them.