Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

orcane posted:

Also remember nForce? :haw:

Yeah, it was great and I think I even have the old machine in storage. Got an Alpha PAL(sp?) to keep the stupid proc stable under whatever strain I was causing it back in ~2005? I think that was before AMD bought ATI, though, and I haven't bothered with overclocking since except for RAM, but only a little bit.

Wonder how much I'd have to spend on DDR2(?) to get it to run Windows 7 without being annoyingly slow nowdays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Captain Hair posted:

I've still got my alfa pal 8045, beast of a heatsink. Iirc it was a solid copper base with hex shaped pins what rose out of it in an 80mm x 80mm cube.

Slapped an 80mm > 120mm fan adaptor on it with a 120mm 200cfm delta fan on it. Overclocked something like a 1.5/1.6ghz thunderbird to 3.2ghz waaaay back in the day. 100% overclock, those were the days. Nf7-s motherboard. Revision 1.0 till it caught on fire (!) Then a rev 1.2 board.

Was beating guys who were on water, but drat was it loud. Edit: was also in a case built from knex, because I was a poor and the with adaptor didn't fit in any standard sized case.

Yep, that's the one. Anodized aluminum pins for efficient blackbody radiation and a copper block in the base for efficient transfer into the sink. I just got the some super high throughput 80mm fan. 95cfm, maybe? It was absurdly loud. My roommates must have hated me :(

I wonder if it'd mount on a modern motherboard...

quote:

Also I can't say for windows 7, but windows 10 runs comfortably on 8gb ddr2, ran a bit janky on 4gb. I think windows 7 supports 8gb and given how windows loves ram that's what I'd go for.

Cost me recently £10 per 4gb for 800mhz ddr2. However if you're after the fast 1066mhz stuff... well I recently sold an 8gb 1066mhz ddr2 kit for £95. So yeah, it can be pricey.

Huh, I figured Windows 10 wouldn't run on anything that old but lol @ me for thinking Microsoft would break support for anything from the 32 bit era, I guess.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

sweart gliwere posted:

Am I crazy for thinking the Ryzen 5 1600 would be a decent option for a non-gaming home workstation? Paired with an efficient 4GB GPU, and 16GB of system RAM.

That's probably what I'm going to do... and then also play games on it because gently caress building another computer just for games

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I can't be the only one who immediately thought "K6!" as soon as I saw that 1998 number, right?

Hell yeah party like it's nineteen ninety, uh, eight again because I'm actually thinking about making an AMD system :toot:

E: too bad 3DFX is dead :\

quote:

Did I say I was waiting for the May AGESA memory compatibility update before I bought in? Never mind, I have much better silicon to be looking at.

What's this? If I'm going to go through with a Ryzen rebuild it sounds like getting good memory is gonna be Very Important.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 15, 2017

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This month's AGESA updates which they are pushing out to motherboard partners is adding up to 20 memory registers, in order to aid compatibility with XMP to allow kits with higher clocks to be used.

At last check, as the Infinity Fabric interconnect between cores appears to improve significantly with increased memory bandwidth, the higher frequencies of DDR4 are desirable. (Diminishing returns kicks in past 3000, but this should help more kits hit that number.)

Ah, I was hoping it was some official list of supported SKUs I hadn't heard of before because that'd make shopping easier.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

None of these product names are as bad as the AsRock "Fatal One Thank You" IMO

SwissArmyDruid posted:

AFAIK, Samsung B-die is still the thing to get. which means G.Skill and some Corsair.

(Not all G.Skill are Samsung, though. Venn diagrams and all that, but there's a lot less of it in Corsair's product stack.)

On that note, this reddit (sorry) thread is the least useless thing I found after clicking around some Google results and it's apparently still missing a bunch of > 8 gig sticks, which would be kinda useful if you're running a lot of VMs and also want fast memory, from what I understand.*

* the memory controller has problems driving four modules at over ~2800 (or so?) so you'd want two big ones instead of four small

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 17, 2017

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

MrBadidea posted:

Asus Prime X370-Pro. I slammed the latest BIOS on it I could when I pieced everything together, and there's been nothing newer since. It definitely helped at least with the weird disks-not-being-detected thing; still happens, just nowhere near as often.

I get that sometimes in my 5+ year old Asus mobo and, after the inevitable quick 'oh gently caress' moment where I assume the SSD died before I remember that this has happened before (and will happen again, I'm sure), I have to go into the BIOS and fix the boot order every loving time to get it to work again. Super annoying but also pretty rare. Maybe their BIOS authors just suck? Maybe I should stop buying Asus? Only time will tell.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Rastor posted:

Oh hey, I didn't notice that this week AMD released the AMD Optimizing C/C++ Compiler, AOCC. The Intel compiler is pretty well known for turning out better performance on their platform, so a similar move could be good for AMD.

Dammit, AMD.

It'd be surprising if AMD had the resources to release a compiler that actually did emit code that ran better on their hardware :smith:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

My desktop has bluescreened on my twice in the last twelve hours, so I might have to upgrade a few months early and as of right now I'm leaning AMD, satan help me.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, AMD distinctly doesn't suck in the CPU department anymore.

GPUs are still a disillusioned sigh at the top end though.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - I upgraded to a 1070 last year. Gonna continue to not bother with ATI no matter who's name is on the door

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

So the GPU passthrough issues do affect people using discreet graphics or no?

Also, people still do LAN parties?!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Drakhoran posted:

According to Fuad Abazovic, one 4GB stack of HBM2 memory costs $80. 16GB ($320) on a laptop CPU is not going to happen until prices come down.

That's a (reasonable) ~15% of the cost at the high end, though, which is where you'd see 16 GB in a laptop.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I did this too.
(I had to order a side panel from Germany without a window. Thermaltake took 3 weeks to reply to emails / FB messages, I mailed 3 different countries reps before getting one.)

Holy crap - I'd have given up and bought spray paint after a week or so

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Measly Twerp posted:

Also, 16GB? I'm going to need more than that.

That's just the L3 cache :getin:

But seriously I didn't realize HBM was slower than regular DDR4. Huh!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Paul MaudDib posted:

It doesn't show but it works when I put it in the cart. Thanks.

What does http://www.microcenter.com/site/products/amd_bundles.aspx show you?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

eames posted:

found a video comparison of 3200 Mhz CL14 vs 2133 Mhz RAM (R7 1700 @ 3.9 Ghz, 1080ti, 1080p)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlAboBQgAHk

Pretty stark difference in some of them. I'm guessing Witcher is very single-threaded?

Random aside but does anyone know what the game before Witcher was?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Don Lapre posted:

So take it off

But then the heat will get all clumped up. I hate it when things don't spread properly

TomR posted:

I found a old ram stick with heat spreaders on it and decided to take them off for curiosity sake and one of the chips came off on the thermal pad.

You have to should use floss or thread to cut the thermal compound/pads/whatever

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

inkwell posted:

I replaced some garish heatspreaders with some plain jane copper models and it looks pretty nice to me. Similar clearance to bare sticks and still gives you a bit of aesthetics.

I have, too. That's how I know you can't just lever the dang things off :rip:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Dell has been doing Thunderbolt docks on all of their newer business class laptops for a couple years, as far as I can tell. Heck, I'm using one right now. Granted, they probably aren't about to put AMD in their business line, but, yeah, Thunderbolt is a thing outside of Apple trashcans and donglebooks.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

NewFatMike posted:

Single cable docking solutions are very good, and that's a very good use case for TB3. Multiple drives, monitor, and peripherals all connected through one cable.

It'd be cooler if the cables could be extended or were more than a meter long, but it's progress.

ufarn posted:

You can also do some really cool things with Thunderbolt to create are more simplified endpoint device for peripherals; check 10:46 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshXgisNly4&t=646s

Also makes switching between desktop and laptop and using your laptop as a workstation a lot easier, or at the very least cooler.

No Faraday cage around the server room? :sad:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Does thermal compound ever go bad? The guy at Microcenter said this water cooling kit probably came with some so I didn't buy any but I have a ~15 year old tube of Arctic Silver around here... somewhere? Probably. If that stuff separates or something I'm not going to bother and just go back to Microcenter. Should have bought a case, anyway.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Hah, it sure does have a square of grease on it. I didn't even think to look at it that hard

I'm on the Ryzen bandwagon now

E: this thing has a garish rainbow LED stripe that shines through a gap in the PCB but I have to go fishing for a motherboard speaker to see what the hell the beep code is when I get no video. Gamer culture is so loving trashy goddamn

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 17, 2017

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

:thunk: hmmmm

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Scarecow posted:

what am i missing here?

My prime x370 is doing 8+8+8+8 and getting 16 as far as I can tell

Or maybe it's only using half of it for some reason?

At any rate, I need to look up some RAM overclocking guides because simply shoving more voltage in there isn't getting me the speed I bought

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Pablo Bluth posted:

I had almost exactly the same issue last night when my memory arrived and I assembled the machine, except for 8/16 rather than 16/32. Turns out one of the dimms wasn't quite seated properly so it knew it was there but couldn't use it.

Weird that it wouldn't say so explicitly on this otherwise overdone UI but, OK, I'll try reseating them when I get home tonight. I wish there were retention clips on both sides :\

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Pablo Bluth posted:

I had almost exactly the same issue last night when my memory arrived and I assembled the machine, except for 8/16 rather than 16/32. Turns out one of the dimms wasn't quite seated properly so it knew it was there but couldn't use it.

Thanks for the advice! I reseated all of them which was annoying because the heat spreader is basically all sharp metal with one thumb-sized flat plastic bit to mock you, I guess? Anyway, memtest finished and I have 32 GB of probably-stable RAM running at 3200 w/the timings it's supposed to get. Motherboard is Asus PRIME X370-PRO and RAM kit (from the QVL) is https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232207 in case anyone else cares about shoving that much RAM in with boring old non-ripped dad threads.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Combat Pretzel posted:

The "new" Metro app is actually the old Chromium based desktop client run through Project Centennial. Which is kind of odd, with what WinRT being able to run apps written in HTML+JS. The porting effort to the Edge runtime can't be that ball breakingly hard. But no, ship a fat as gently caress Chromium runtime with it instead.

That's still a fork they'd have to maintain separately.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

SourKraut posted:

We absolutely have AMD to thank for x86-64, what are you talking about. You'd be living in an Itanium World otherwise. But yeah, AMD shouldn't be built into a paragon of virtue. Although Intel is definitely the far greater of "evils".

Itanium had some cool features. Maybe if it'd taken over we'd have the sufficiently smart compiler it needed to realize its potential. More likely ARM would have buried it, heh.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

A lack of Itanium isn't something that has been keeping compiler development back at all though.

Yeah, and I was saying the opposite of that and also that ARM would probably have taken over the market before the compilers got good enough to make Itanium competitive with ARM or x86.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 25, 2017

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

My point was it wouldn't have mattered. Itanium could've been everywhere and the compilers to make it work well still would never have appeared. Its a fundamental problem that can't be fixed by marketshare or part volume sales so whether Itanium took off or not is a moot issue when talking about compiler development.

Guess I just don't believe that without some proof that it's impossible to write a decent compiler for it. Maybe more effort went into it that I'm not aware of?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

feedmegin posted:

Plus the fundamental disconnect between an OoO CPU that can see that actual things that are going on right now and schedule instructions etc optimally, and a compiler that has to see into the future and guess what's going to happen ahead of time. Itanium depending on compiler researchers to invent literal magic to fulfil its potential, and that never happened.

I forgot about that! I get it now. You'd need to somehow software JIT machine code to get it as close to optimal as an x86's internal dispatcher, basically, right?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

kirtar posted:

There was that AMD presentation a while back that suggested vSOC 1.1V and the RAM voltage 1.4-1.5V. I'm running dual rank B-die (G.Skill F4-3200C14D-32GTZKY) at the same timings and frequency without any voltage increase, so I'm surprised that there is a problem on single rank B-die. Video below in case you feel like watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZgpHTaQ10k

Chiming in to add that I did set the RAM voltage to 1.4, which is what the sticker on the box told me it wanted and it seems fine though I've only tested with memtest so far because I haven't quite pulled the trigger on the storage and don't feel like installing anything temporarily. We'll see soon if that falls apart under 'real' load, I guess :D

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Cygni posted:

Just a reminder that if you go off AnandTech's reporting on the process nodes, Zen 2 won't show up until late 2018/early 2019, which means it will potentially be going against Intel's 10nm Ice Lake and not Coffee Lake. Rumor is that Zen will get a mild refresh in 2018 to go against Coffee Lake, but no process or architectural changes. So maybe a few hundred mhz, but no IPC change.

Late '18-early '19 will be when things really get interesting for both companies.

Is Zen2 the same as Zen+ and are we still talking about AM4 or is this AM4+?

The 2 vs + is making me :psyduck: here

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

repiv posted:

new leak from wccftech

The compression blur just makes it :discourse:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Also getting some time away from work

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

bobfather posted:

Build came together nicely, though I haven't worked on a CPU with pins in a while (probably not since my old Phenom II X2!) so stress-free tasks like spreading the TIM made me nervous to bend a pin.

It's possible - likely, even - that I'm a dipshit who does stupid wrong stuff but if I have to apply thermal compound to a CPU with pins I do it when it's clamped in the socket.

quote:

The install was ridiculously fast, maybe 10 minutes or so.

I know right? Remember when that'd take over an hour? Mine was USB3 to NVMe and finished copying while I was downstairs grabbing a beer. Couldn't have been more than five minutes.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Why the hell would they even accept that for a return?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Would the driver do anything for single NVMe performance?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

What's a 'good' or at least OK temp as reported by Ryzen Master?

Playing Bethesda Post-Apocalyptic Inventory Management Simulator 4 hard-locked my whole machine the other night and I brought up RM as fast as I could on boot to check the temp which was at 45 C then immediately dropped to 36. Thing is, it changed so fast that I assumed the first number was a placeholder that it shows before it gets real data, so IDK if that was real or not. Heck, the CPU might have cooled off during boot for all I know, even though it was really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Paul MaudDib posted:

Processors can heat up/cool down quite quickly, there's not a lot of "thermal mass" there. My 5820K (soldered, like Ryzen) can go from 70C under Prime95 to 40C in a matter of seconds with my AIO. Let's say it'll swing at least 10 degrees per 5 seconds, probably closer to double that. Any numbers you got after a reboot are effectively meaningless.

Have you run the kill-ryzen script to see if your processor suffers the "Performance Marginality Issue"?

I missed that but I'll try it hopefully tonight, though. E; hold on - isn't that a Linux thing? I'm on Windows here, which I guess is technically a VM since I never disabled Hyper-V, but I haven't seen anyone talking about making sure to disable Hyper-V with Ryzen.

E2: oh, didn't see your edit. Is there a Windows version of that script or would I need to make a bootable USB to try it?

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 17, 2017