Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
:firstpost:

I'm excited for the rumored 16-core parts coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I forgot what heatsink it was but I had the genius idea of replacing the stock fan with the Vantec Tornado, holy poo poo what a terrible idea. I don't even know if it gave me more overclocking headroom I was just a dumb 15 year old who liked the idea of a really powerful fan.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

kirtar posted:

Is that better or worse than using a delta fan?

According to google possibly even worse, like I said it was a bad idea. I'm glad that fans have improved a lot from those days.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

PerrineClostermann posted:

...And a 300+ launch price is not mid-tier.

The $330 970 was perhaps their best selling card ever though, it's been #1 on the steam hardware survey for ages. What defines mid-tier?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Misc posted:

Raven Ridge is no good to me without some goddamn mITX boards

Yeah I'd really like to see mITX and even some mSTX boards, you could make a really tiny gaming system with an APU and board like this.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/H110M-STX/

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Kazinsal posted:

If anyone here is a super low level technical person and wants to know more about the conversion of x86 instructions to RISC micro-ops and associated pipeline/latency/clock/unit info, this is a really good PDF that goes into detail for pretty much every x86 microarchitecture since P5 and K7 (unfortunately no K6, which is where AMD introduced their RISC86 architecture): http://agner.org/optimize/instruction_tables.pdf

Thank you, I'm a big CPU nerd so stuff like this is right up my alley.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

This seems like a pointless conversation because no one knows how fast threadripper can run on all cores, I'm sure it's higher than 3GHz flat, and no one knows how fast Skylake-X can run on all cores. If you're using a 16-core CPU for gaming you're probably overclocking the thing, crazy TDP be damned.

If threadripper really maxes out at 3GHz it's a bad gaming chip but if it maxes out at like 3.7GHz+ it's just way overkill for the application.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 1, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Not sure if I'm even buying a CPU this year but I'm more excited about CPUs than I have been in a long time, didn't think we'd be seeing 12-core desktop CPUs for $500 anytime soon.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Some of the cloud providers really hate having only a single CPU supplier which could be an advantage for AMD, I know that has driven google to invest in IBM Power for example.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

https://twitter.com/JokerReview/status/870764544532021248

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

New AdoredTV video on Threadripper vs Skylake-X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3l9vZD7h_8

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

The i3 is only at 3.7GHz and the R7 can usually hit around 3.9-4 so they're probably pretty even in single-threaded performance.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 11, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Get the 1700 since there's very little difference between the chips other than the 1800X might clock 100MHz faster. If you live near a microcenter there are some good deals on 1700X/Mobo bundles as well.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Wirth1000 posted:

Ok, I don't know what to do with this build now. Somebody suggest benchmarks or something. 1600X + B350 + 16GB RAM

I've been meaning to ask someone with a Ryzen system to try testing an exponent in Prime95 for me.

Download Prime 95 and then go to Advanced -> Test and enter in "20996011" in exponent to test. No need to finish the entire thing just let it run for a bit and note the ms/iter and estimated completion time.

For reference that exponent took 16hr on a 2600k and 9hr 19min on a 6600k.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 16, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Not bad for having gimped AVX, that stock or overclocked?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

drat $600 for a 16-core server CPU, this is a really good time for people wanting to build a workstation.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

7700k but Intel's new stuff is coming soon and since you've waited so long already might as well wait a couple months.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Maybe that's why Vega sucks so much, needs a more aggressive name.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 2, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Fell for the clickbait title :doh:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

The Ryzen 5 1600 is the #2 best seller on Amazon now so that's certainly a good sign.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

They better make some mini-STX mobos for them too, that would open up some really tiny case options.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Probably won't get threadripper but I'm interested in those coolers, I was thinking about doing this project involving high-powered LED arrays and that massive contact plate would be perfect for cooling them.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Paul MaudDib posted:

(I'm assuming these are like 100W or something and will melt themselves in no time without cooling?)

How do you get the heat from the LEDs into the coldplate? Do you have some kind of machined heatspreader block which orients the LEDs and spreads heat for the coldplate?

Yeah they're modules like this that draw a ton of power, they have an aluminum plate on the back so the idea would be just to attach them to the contact plate of the heatsink with some thermal adhesive.

http://www.bridgelux.com/sites/default/files/resource_media/Bridgelux%20DS103%20V22%20Gen%207%20Array%20Datasheet%2020170309%20Rev%20H_1.pdf

The idea would be to attach several of those modules to the contact plate for cooling and power the setup with LiPo batteries to have an absurdly bright flashlight that's still relatively portable. Tons of people have done this on Youtube and a lot of them use water cooling but I figure this would be cheaper and easier.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

IIRC Zen 2 is supposed to have full speed AVX

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

The restructured L3 cache is hurting Skylake-X relative to Kaby Lake in gaming too, the 7800X just matches the Ryzen 5 1600 at almost double the price. And that's with the overclock that caused what you see in the photo above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfNMn7RWgLw&t=1160s

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 23, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

It seems like single socket would be more attractive unless you really need more than 32 cores because the single socket only 24 and 32-core EPYC is pretty cheap for what you're getting.

Compared to the 2P parts:

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 24, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

You could build two entire workstations based on the EPYC 7401P for the cost of one 24-core Xeon CPU from Intel :lol:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Ryzen Threadripper II, 64C/128T

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

isndl posted:

Unfortunate? You know Asrock engineers live for this poo poo, they would have gone insane years ago otherwise. :v:

PCB layout is the fun part, trying to figure our why your PCB doesn't work right when it comes back from the fab is the part that will drive you insane.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Malcolm XML posted:

The layout people for asrock deserve a goddamn medal

They get that as soon as they deliver the mini-ITX TR4 board :colbert:

And more mini-STX boards please

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

FaustianQ posted:

On AMD's own facebook page

I'm dying, this is loving absurd.

Ahahahaha that's amazing :allears:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Measly Twerp posted:

There are people on the AnandTech forums who think it's superior to Threadripper. They cite poor single threaded performance mainly.

It would have to be non-gaming single-threaded applications since the L3 cache structure of the Skylake-X is currently having issues with games and as a consequence it's no better than Ryzen even with a big clock advantage. The cache restructuring and possibly the mesh bus has totally ate away at the potential advantages that Skylake-X would have over Ryzen and Threadripper. Coffee Lake seems more compelling if the rumors are true.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 31, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

That was my main question about TR whether or not it could do 4GHz across all 16C and it looks like it does, that's some pretty fancy glue those AMD folks have.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Being an Intel fanboy is a weird thing to be, probably those same people who like to pay a woman to kick them in the balls while wearing heels.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

People were saying that the 1920X didn't have the best pricing, looks like there's gonna be a plain 1920 part that should be more appealing.

http://www.pcgamer.com/amds-partners-detail-unannounced-threadripper-1920-cpu-in-support-docs/

quote:

AMD has been slow playing the launch of its Threadripper lineup by first announcing the 1950X ($999) and 1920X ($799), then later unveiling the 1900X ($549). Now it appears there is a fourth SKU, one that will not support AMD's extended frequency range (XFR) technology.

The folks at Tweakers noticed that several motherboard makers are referencing an announced Threadripper 1920 CPU in their support documents. So far there are reference from ASRock, Asus, and Gigabyte.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

The 1920 also has a lower TDP but I'm not sure if it's binned for lower TDP like the 1700 or just has a lower listed TDP due to the lack of XFR.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Jesus I don't need 16 cores but I'll probably eventually get one because I'm a big dumb idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Malloc Voidstar posted:

wait for TR2, maybe amd will somehow get +50% IPC again

Yeah I might hold out for TR2 not because I expect a huge IPC gain but out of (probably futile) hopes that Glofo's new process clocks significantly higher. If they just deliver their promised 10-15% IPC gain and the new process got the clocks higher it would be absolutely insane.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 9, 2017