Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Microcenter has dropped the 5800X down to $370, at that point I'd say it's not a bad deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Fabulousity posted:

Isn't 3800 bad because then you're forcing the CPU's fabric to memory clock to go 2:1 instead of 1:1? If I recall Zen2 will do 1:1 up to 3733 MHz putting 3800 just on the other side of that barrier.

Zen 3 has an easier time running the IF at 1900MHz or more for some people.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

dex_sda posted:

The goddamn chipset fan on my x570 gigabyte elite is wearing down, loud noises all around. I can't believe such a tiny thing is the problem. What do?

My thinking is:
update bios so I can control the curve, it may not actually be necessary but it keeps slightly spinning up. @BIOS is the way or do I need a usb pendrive for qflash?

If not fixed lube up the fan. Never done it, but I can find a youtube vid and do it.

Replace the fan? This poo poo looks proprietary, where do I get a replacement? I don't want to gently caress around with jerryrigging a noctua fan.

RMA the mobo? Gonna take weeks if not months probably.

Any ideas? I wanna punch the guy who thought this was good

I got really unlucky with my X570 mobo and have a dead chipset fan and bizarre memory issues (which I thought were the fault of the CPU until I got Zen 3 and a different mobo). I actually set the curve to turn the fan off entirely and never have had any issues.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

If I update to the latest BIOS for my motherboard my mouse and keyboard stop working with my RAM OC so I just reverted back even though it said I couldn't. And it was quite goofy, they would work on the front USB but not on the IO panel USB.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also, does that really find any instabilities that might crop up at low usage? The most common failures when using the curve optimizer are at idle.

AMD should really just give us full VF curve control with Zen 4, like we have for Nvidia GPUs.

Yeah some of my curve optimizer settings would run things like F@H or P95 for days on end but crash at idle. The most reliable test I could find was to let the PC idle for a while and then start up something like ST Cinebench or Geekbench, and just repeating that process over a few times.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

The most goofy thing about ceramic caps that for some reason they don't teach right away is that applying a DC bias drops the capacitance below the nominal value and that this curve depends on package size etc so you really have to look at the datasheet.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

These rumors back up the kind of MT perf gain that Robert Hallock suggested for the 5950X vs the 7950X (up to 40%) and suggest a really high all core freq for the 7950X.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

My guess is that the 7950X3D will probably be the ultimate CPU of the Gen but that the 13400 and 13600/k will probably be the best value for most people.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

It's crazy how quickly people's expectations adjust, someone from 2016 would be absolutely floored at the prospect of a 29% ST increase in one gen. Zen 2 was a bit less than that and people were very excited, now the Reddit consensus is that it sucks (but I'm sure they'll buy it anyways).

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

It's still pretty silly to be mad about a 29% gen/gen increase in ST performance, the pricing on the low end sure but that's a very solid performance gain even for a longer generation and seems to set them up pretty well vs Raptor. Hopefully they adjust the pricing on the low end stuff though after Raptor comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Looks like Zen 4 is really good in Userbenchmark, which means they're really gonna have to do some creative re-weighing to make sure it loses to Raptor.