Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So, combined CCX and EMIB latencies are going to be hell of an annoying thing? The idea of a 16C/32T CPU tickles my fancy, if it's sub-1000bux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eh, so long the console generations don't last like 10 years again and PC gaming is the victim again by things being held back due to multiplatform poo poo. I mean, on the CPU front, things like IPC improvements have been slowing down for a while now, still current quadcores beat the consoles silly, and trend is going towards more than four cores, via Ryzen and also Intel's Coffee Lake. On the GPU side, dies are getting bigger and bigger and continue bring significant improvements due to easy parallelization.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Interesting. If the frequencies shown there is what the CPU ran at, instead of nominal while they were actually turboing, bumping the Whitehaven to 4GHz would mean near perfect linear scaling. Which seems doubtful, unless they've improved the interconnect speeds. Which means that the 8C's handicap makes the difference for the scaling to appear linear.

So anyway, are there any significant teething issues with Ryzen, that haven't been fixed yet with BIOS updates?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I did the GPU passthrough stuff a while ago. Worked just fine. However I refused to run the Linux desktop on a secondary poo poo GPU, so I ran either Xorg or Windows on my fat GPU (games and all). Given all the sing and dance, I might as well just have dual booted.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So without availability date, I suppose there won't be early samples going to reviewers any time soon?

sauer kraut posted:

Good god Threadripper is the size of an old school hard drive
Still smaller than those silly Pentium 2/3 cartridges.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

:aaaaa:

If that 16C price is true, I don't think I'll give too much of a poo poo about interconnect latencies. Gaming makes up only a fraction of all workloads.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh dear: :ohdear:

Every new news item keeps making me flipflop between AMD and Intel.

--edit:
I love how that dumb spreadsheet linked in the Phoronix article asks for mainboard but not which CPU version. Might as well turn out to be an issue with binning, AMD being a little too optimistic about the higher end models or some poo poo like that.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 4, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

similar problems happened with sandy bridge and didn't really even get fixed until ivy bridge. especially with the P67 :shepicide:
Wait what? My old P67-based system was rock-stable (was rev. 3 tho).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

repiv posted:

In true AMD fashion, they've released the Zen software optimization guide... over 3 months after Zen launched.

http://support.amd.com/TechDocs/55723_SOG_Fam_17h_Processors_3.00.pdf

Better late than never I suppose v:v:v
Doesn't say anything about optimizing for multiple CCXes though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

eames posted:

heise.de reports that Skylake-SP (and Skylake-X) uses a mesh (like the Xeon Phi) instead of a ringbus

machine translated link:
http://translate.google.com/transla...n&langpair=auto

e: i just realised that this is the wrong topic but I'll just leave it here because of infinity fabric :colbert:
Eh, it talks about the amount of hops depends on horizontal and vertical distance. Doesn't the same apply with the ringbus? Wouldn't the mesh result in shorter paths?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I suppose the physical layout of the LCC chips is 4x3, given that the top end part has 12 cores? --edit: Nope, 6x2. --edit: I wonder if the LCC part actually has a mesh or still uses the ringbus.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 15, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've been redesigning my fileserver, right now I am thinking of having a NAS with ZFS and ECC and an infiniband connection to an actual application server with good performance (perhaps Threadripper). It's a mITX or mATX case with 8 bays and I want another drive for boot/L2ARC cache (M.2 is nice).
L2ARC is nice, if you enable caching streaming data. I've added an 128GB L2ARC to my NAS and it's warm to the point I'm playing GTA and PU Battlegrounds straight from it instead of the spinning rust (I'm running Steam on an iSCSI share, over 10GbE).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yea, but it only fetches into primary ARC. L2ARC doesn't retain streaming data by default. Seems to be some algorithm that caches blocks that look popular, so that start of IO gets served out of L2ARC to give the disks time to start streaming. The relevant tunable is vfs.zfs.l2arc_noprefetch, set to 0.

--edit: Wrong thread for this, anyway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Everyone has sucky products once in awhile. I just hope AMD gets theirs sorted quick. I want a Threadripper ASAP.
You expect the Threadripper dies to be revisions?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hope that B2 stepping lands in the Threadripper. Is two months to release enough time to get dies manufactured and packaged into the MCM?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Meh.

Regardless of that, ECC memory, the fastest I've found is from Crucial, being DDR4-2666. However CAS is 19, not a fan of that. I wonder if the memory chips are binned well enough to be able to drive it down a lot, say to 15-16.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Zen+ is scheduled for when? Beginning 2018? The B2 stepping ain't it, right?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

eames posted:

so there's hope that Threadripper will be B2 and fix annoying errata like the NPT GPU pass-through performance bug.
Kind of makes sense, given that EPYC is all about PCIe lanes like a motherfucker, and uses them for intersocket comms. And B2 is supposedly about the uncore.

Question is whether Threadripper also gets the B2 stepping already, or whether they're running down their B1 stock on it first. I suppose it'd be an idea to monitor whether B2 Ryzens are showing up soon.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

At least AM4 doesn't fry your CPU, whenever you intent to use that weird upgrade path Intel thought up.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Desuwa posted:

Searching for NPT and ryzen in the VFIO subreddit will turn up some discussion over people attempting to manage it. The short of it is that leaving NPT enabled will ruin GPU performance but disabling it will ruin CPU performance.
GPU performance is currently irrelevant for cloud providers.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ZBrush is a general shitshow.

I mean, it's UI looks like it's from a 90's MOD tracker running on DOS.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Assuming they can fix the problems with leaking in the first-gen kits, EKWB does have a really nice setup where it's basically an AIO out of the box and you can buy "prefilled" GPU blocks that attach using quick disconnects. That seems pretty good to me.
The AIO from EKWB? I thought that was fixed, since they recalled their kits in 2016 already?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

A while ago I've seen a video of some Linux dude testing it and forcing errors by loving with RAM voltages. It actually reported single bit errors under Linux. And caused a kernel panic on worse errors. I figure it'll do the same in Windows, too.

Also, they need finally to officially announce/reveal Threadripper.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

You actually need to wait for at least three months after the reveal to see actual effects. People need to save money and then buy poo poo. And OEMs need to sell computers with Ryzen.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Been loosely digging into running Ryzen at 4GHz. Kind of reads all like a shitshow. I suppose I should sit it out for Zen+ or Zen 2 (or rather, their Threadripper variants), whatever the gently caress was supposed to go up to 4.5GHz.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Visually, my most ideal case would be an S340 without windowed panel. A black slab with a simple optional color accent. But it's a sing and dance with the NZXT support to get a solid replacement side panel.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So there's actually no Threadripper rocking it like it's 1998X?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Geekbench seems ridiculously useless. I've been looking up my current CPU on it to compare it to these supposed TR 1950X results, and within the results, there's huge disparities, like a presumably stock clocked 5820K returning higher results than severely overclocked ones. (Or at least the app seems to be royally stupid about recording clock speeds.)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So about MCM latencies of TR/EPYC, I suppose it would have been better to have a memory controller as separate entity on the IF and have the CCX groups be autonomous?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

From all I've read, it sounds like cross-CCX L3 cache accesses are the royal pain in the rear end, and probably one cause for funny latencies. Having a memory controller, maybe with some of its own cache, as separate entity on the IF, and disabling cross-CCX L3 accesses, things might be less bad? Just sounds sorta idiotic to access L3 cache on another CCX at memory speeds. Might as well just hit the memory directly.

I'm also just armchairing.

Cygni posted:

If NUMA aware OS didn't exist, that might be worth it. But with NUMA, and most calls being the first two options, the current solution on Epyc is probably much more efficient.
NUMA is nice for workloads that can wait a while. But on things like gaming where you need to get frames out as fast as possible, if for some reason there's no thread scheduling capacities for the CCX that handles the memory region most of the thread's poo poo is allocated in, there's a problem.

I suppose it doesn't matter so much for the current bunch of Ryzens, since as you say, the bandwidth is high between a pair of CCXs, but I'm eyeing at TR, and it sounds like I don't want it, if gaming is part of the workload for it.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 10, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh, I have things to occupy all 16 cores once a while. What I'm more concerned about is when there will be situations when NUMA is going to be a problem, i.e. mismatch between core a thread is running on and where memory allocations are. At a certain point depending on memory pressure, allocations will start to cross NUMA memory regions. If the IF bandwidth between CCX pairs is indeed so much worse as speculated, this is going to be noticeable in some form.

On the other hand, if IF is 32 bytes wide and can run an PCIe speeds, as said a couple of posts above, why the hell are there even bandwidth issues that depend on RAM speed?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 10, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So uh, if it's super high bandwidth, why does it get hosed over by the memory clock? Sounds like its data transfers are gated by the memory controller? If so, why?! I guess I kind of fail to see why it gets punished so hard versus Intel's ring bus.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 10, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

wargames posted:

Also Zen1 doesn't use Numa for CCX talk it uses a new scheduler that microsoft and AMD came up with to account for the slight higher CCX talk.
The NUMA stuff is speculation about Threadripper and EPYC.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's a single socket, but things look awfully like it being a Frankensocket (two smashed together). So yeah, NUMA.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If that's 4GHz boost, then I'm in. The IPC should be equivalent to my 4GHz Haswell-E, but I'd gain 10 cores and ECC.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

eames posted:

Four core 4 GHz boost seems realistic to me, double that of a 1800X and one core per Die.
Wait, I thought boost is all-core where as XFR gets you another 100MHz on a single (favored) core or something like that?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Actually AI is a thing that can be easily parallelized. Each agent can be simulated on its own thread.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Better not be some bullshit changes introduced to make that Linux subsystem stuff work. Process creation and tear down is already heavy-handed as is in Windows.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

On the other hand, depending on what you want to have running on your board, you might want to wait. That said, if the supposed 8C/16T TR clocks high enough, I might get tricked into upgrading the CPU eventually. Now a cheap TR waiting for a TR+ or TR2.

eames posted:

Zen+ may introduce its own infinity fabric multiplier so the interconnect runs faster with slow RAM. Intel's ringbus already does that and the knowledgeable folks at anandtech agree that there's no good reason why Zen doesn't, short of "AMD ran out of time for the Ryzen launch".
Yea, given that the IF has to transmit requests and data of any kind, there's a buffer stage in there somewhere, should make running async possible from the get-go.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

14nm+ for H1 2018 or what?