Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I think the need for ecc is overblown, generally a computer with bad ram will just crash immediately and rarely screw up the filesystem, that being said I still want ecc in a home zfs server if the price difference isnt huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Should the os be modified to workaround bad hardware? Its called efivars no combination of variables or lack there of should make a system unbootable, the real solution is a firmware update.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I guess that means PCIe extenders are dead now.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Seamonster posted:

So uh, [H]Bennett is joining Intel...

I was confused then I saw he was joining the marketing department so he's not getting hired for technical abilities like Anand was with apple.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Radar posted:

Intel's highest-end Xeons only have 38.5 MB L3 and now AMD goes and dumps 64 MB onto their consumer platform. :lol: EPYC Rome will have 256 MB L3 per socket with 64-core configurations.

Now I want to run linux solely off of L3 cache.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

sincx posted:

Is this the only 2x16GB 3600 CAS16 kit out there?

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236544

It's double the price of the 2x16GB 3600 CAS19 kits.

I have the vengeance cl16 3333 and it runs 3600 at stock volts, your ymmv of course.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to repost these for fun.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

FuturePastNow posted:

Why, so you can load a game in 10 seconds instead of 11 seconds? Who cares that much?

At 9GB/s you can load 150MB per frame at 60fps without using the cpu. If implemented correctly the ps5 will run certain games better than any mid range pc, but we’ll have to see what really happens.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
+46% faster in CS:GO, its over for intel.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Intel is going to have to bend over backwards to make a single benchmark win, adobe on igpu is all they have now I think.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to skip all this 14nm+++++++++ and 7nm+ business and to straight to best you can get: 5nm apple silicon :getin:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The Apple transition kit leaked benchmarks show a 30% overhead for x86 emulation. Amazon graviton arm servers claim 40% better price performance than x86. With those figures running x86 on arm is already cheaper if you can live with lower clocks and buy more servers, and if you can run arm natively your saving a ton.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That would nice, like those after market heat sinks without a plastic shroud, the branding should just be silk screened on the pcb.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The stock shouldn't be that bad, the bottleneck with the 30*0 series cards are because of samsung and gddr6x. Zen3 only relies on TSMC aka the only good fab.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The 3.5 mm audio jack takes up lots of internal space, most people would rather have more battery than a headphone jack. My non tech parents have never plugged their iphones into anything except a charger.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Now I can replace multiple racks of servers with a single computer.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Even if intel is a better value on paper I’ll pay a little extra for the power savings. Also I won’t buy another 14nm just on principle, since I bought a my first 14nm chip in 2015.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Amd’s price increases are a lot more reasonable because they don’t have a war chest like intel, they need to stockpile while they are ahead to survive in the future.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I thought I went way overboard getting an 850w with a 9900k and 2080, but overclocked and torture tested with prime95 and furmark I was pulling ~730w from the wall.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I want to hear that guys criticism of the 96 core epyc vs Intel.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I also have memory overclocking ptsd from frying my ram from overvolting. I did overclock my ram on my current ddr4 system but I was conservative and didn’t over think it. First I kept it at stock voltage and timings then went up in 100mhz increments until it crashed then backed off, 3333mhz @ 3600mhz for the last 5 years no problem.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I bought a new 5900x system with 128GB of ram for server stuff, while trying to get the idle power down I noticed my rx 570 uses 20w. So just for fun I tried booting it without a gpu, and it worked!? How long has this been a thing, I swear a gpu was required before. Motherboard is an Asus Prime X570-P.

Perplx fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 24, 2023

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
my board has a com port header doing nothing, just send the whole boot log over that like linux does, you could get real detailed, like tell you what dimms were detected and the speeds and voltages of everything, hell make it interactive

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The 110" is 4k so the 76" would be less.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Also we changed from measuring the vertical to the horizontal, 1080p high to 4K wide (3.84K).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That’s the worst screen to body ratio I’ve seen since like 2005.