Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Trip report. I was able to overclock my Corsair Vengeance LPX to 3200MHz by upping the voltage to 1.35 and loosening the timings to C16. The gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 has been a pleasure to work with so far.

It's handled my 1700 at 3.7 on stock voltage just fine. I only wish this MicroATX board came with built in WiFi.

This thing runs surprisingly cool, even with the stock cooler. Never seeing anything above 70 degrees, even with prime 95

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

In my mind, now that monitor prices have dropped significantly in the past two years, mid tier is either 1440p @ 60hz or 1080ps @ 144hz.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

So no zen 2 at 5ghz?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

12 core is still pretty cool. I still feel dumb for buying the 9900k after all of the exploits. I mean I might have to turn off hyper threading. I just wished the lower end models hit 5 ghz

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

eames posted:

der8auer video up early it seems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXbCdGENp5I

all CPUs top out at 4.2-4.3 GHz allcore, none of the twelve CPUs he tested reached advertised XFR speeds. :crossarms:
since they're all hitting a wall at that frequency seems safe to assume that they're heavily binning for later SKUs (threadripper, 3950X, etc) again.

Thats disappointing when the 9900k can hit 5.0 ghz on all cores. Still, the price is worth it unless you game on a high refresh rate monitor. But if you're gaming on a high refresh rate monitor the premium of a 9900k doesn't seem that far fetched.

edit: Not a knock on AMD, I just wanted a 12 core @ 5.0 Ghz.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 7, 2019

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

I’m really glad I have 100 stocks in AMD right now. :smug: bout in at 15.

Mr Money Bags here

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I'm still waiting on the 3950x, should be able to see which mobos are great or not

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Alpha Mayo posted:

The only reason I am waiting on 16-core is because I am disappointed with the single-thread performance of Zen2.. I was expecting parity with Intel at gaming but AMD still lags behind a bit, especially once you factor in 5GHZ Intel overclocks. Otherwise I'd be waiting on 3950X (imagine if they could actually do 4.6ghz all-core like some were claiming).

My thought is 3600 will blow me away compared to the 2500K (4.5) I have now, and spending $200 to not have Intel parity is acceptable, but spending $750 is not.

Then when Zen3 is out, which will be better to some degree (not known at this point but I hope it is at least a 200mhz bump which would bring it very close to Intel), I can maybe go with the 16-core version and sell off my 3600.

Future-proofing is an impossible task though, I'm sure people tried future-proofing 7th Gen intel and then they got completely hosed shortly after. So really, it is a 3600 for now, re-evaluate in 18 months when the next-gen consoles and Zen3 launch and see what would work out.

Your minimum 1 percent is gonna be horrible on that 2500k even with gaming on a low spec target like 1080p/60hz. You must be stuttering a lot because i was suffering a lot of stuttering on my haswell i5 when I jumped to a 9900k.

Checking benchmarks, the 3600 isn’t too far behind like my 9900k verus a 4 core 4 thread old intel processor

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 28, 2019

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Passburger posted:

Is it normal for Ryzen systems to take over a minute to completely shutdown?

No unless it's doing a Windows 10 update or something

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I really want a small AMD NUC using those new Ryzen Mobile 4000 series chips. along with added Thunderbolt compatibility. Its a pipedream I know.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 9, 2020

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Klyith posted:

The Asus B450M-A prime is not the board you want to use with a 3900X: the 3900X is a high power part and that motherboard has a 4-phase VRM with no heatsinks. That board will choke on a fully loaded 3900X. And with an AIO water cooler that has no air circulation around the CPU area it might even self destruct. It's a lovely mobo.

For mATX B450s, the MSI B450M Gaming Plus can handle a 3900X. Or if you are wedded to Asus mobos, get one of their X570 boards because all of those are good.

Man, I miss when mobo manufactuers paid more attention to the mATX. It's kind of stuck in the middle between SFF builders (ITX) and regular ATX builds but drat the mATX was the perfect size

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

19 percent increase in IPC and 4.8 GHz boost (not sure what the all clock boost is though)

drat thats huge

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

drat I'm not liking the prices

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

they dont gotta sell it at discount

*bangs on table*
BIG NAVI BIG NAVI

is that poo poo gonna be any good

The six core varient used to be the sweet spot for price and performance.

hobbesmaster posted:

Whenever Intel or AMD gets unambiguously ahead of the other in all metrics they crank that price up.

Yeah I understand. They probably cranked it up after seeing Intel's continued delay of 7nm

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

DrDork posted:

Yeah, honestly really disappointed there.

The 5800X is gonna be going up against, effectively, the 10700k. I'll wait for benchmarks, but in that the 10700k has 2 more cores and better clocks, I'd be real surprised if the 5800X beats it in much. And the 10700k is $75 cheaper.

But yeah, if you're the type to spend >$500 on a CPU, the 5900X seems like a no-brainer.

Don't forget that Ryzen 3 has a 19 percent increase in IPC and I bet (hopefully) runs cooler then intel's 14nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Finally, a CPU that can run C°ntinuum: roleplaying in The Yet

Lmao this was good

Been running my 7800x3d for two weeks now, replacing my heater of a 9900k. I only have a 2080 Ti but I didn’t realize how much of a bottle neck the 9900k has become when it came to frame time. The stuttering is all gone in games like Baldurs Gate 3 and COD MW2.
I was so used to the era where you could keep your cpu for 5 years (got the 9900k late 2018) and not be too far behind. I didn’t think I’d get this much of a gain