Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Drakhoran posted:

Since we're linking to Videocardz.com, anyone feel like a 48 core "Starship" chip on 7nm next year?

The Dreadnought class starship USS Threadripper.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

What, you think it's actually possible that there's a picture of "Threadripper II" and it's the size of a motherboard?

MoC = Motherboard on a Chip. :downs:

edit: and yes I know it's fake. :rolleyes:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

FaustianQ posted:

It's 2002 again.

History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

When is Ryzen+ expected to drop?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Are the 2200G and 2400G APUs overclockable and if so by how much?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Cygni posted:

Yes, and not much according to Linus.

Not even with a very beefy aftermarket cooler? Bummer.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

newegg is selling the APUs at a 30 dollar markup for this reason :laffo:

Why would buttcoin miners buy these APUs? Pentiums and Celerons are still cheaper if they need cheap CPUs for their mining rigs.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Xae posted:

Because an APU has a decent built in GPU.

But discreet GPUs would still be a lot better for buttcoin mining. 704 SPs at 1250MHz on slower DDR4 RAM ain't going to mine a bunch of buttcoins like a dedicated video card would.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 13, 2018

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

You need a CPU in your mining rig anyway, might as well have it do some work. Also, a GTX 1060 or RX 580 were $500 GPUs at the worst of this, so the price / perf of these iGPUs actually isn't bad.

Well then death to the buttcoiners.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Poor AMD. Just when we thought they finally got their poo poo together on the CPU side of things.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

My current CPU is a 2600k, running at 4.2GHz. Ryzen+ can do 4.2GHz with better IPC and twice the cores.

I'm so tempted.

Same here but I'm running a 2500K@4.2 and without hyper-threading this CPU is really starting to show it's age in newer games. I can only imagine going from a 4c/4t CPU to a 8c/16t CPU with better IPC to boot. For me it would be twice the cores and quadruple the threads.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 20, 2018

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Khorne posted:

There's a chance zen2 won't hit until q3/q4 2019. I just wanted to buy a new computer. :(

Same here. I'm still on a oc'd i5-2500K and it's starting to show it's age in newer games.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 10, 2018

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Cygni posted:

AMD will hold an event called "Next Horizons" on Nov 6th.

The original Ryzen brand was launched at an event called "New Horizons" in Dec 2016. Looks like some Zen 2 details are coming soon.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13538/amd-investor-relations-next-horizon-november-6th

YAY! :neckbeard:

Maybe I'll be able to finally ditch my aging 2500K rig soon.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I agree that those "leaked" specs and prices of Zen 2 are just too good to be true. But if they are true...:stare::fh:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Once again this looks too good to be true. Is 7nm really that big of a leap?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm still on a 2500K and I'm hoping that Zen 2 isn't a wet fart because I don't want to pay the Intel tax. I would wait for the next-gen consoles to be revealed before upgrading but it's probably a safe bet they will use 8-core Zen 2 based CPUs. Because of that I want to upgrade to a 8-core CPU because by then more games will probably take advantage of those cores because of Vulkan and DX12. I know you can't "future-proof" but you can upgrade with the future in mind.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Volguus posted:

The recent security vulnerabilities found in CPUs owe their existence in part to hyperthreading. Disabling it by default is currently the accepted and recommended way forward. Intel even in their latest line up only offer hyperthreading to their very high end CPU.

Can't Microsoft and Linux coders put out patches that mitigate those vulnerabilities?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

drat, that sucks. So I guess it's either have fewer threads and therefore less throughput by disabling SMT or have your poo poo in the wind.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

When is AMD's CES Keynote again? :f5:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

All I'm asking for is a line up and release date for Zen 2.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Show us Zen 2 already goddamn it! :f5:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm guessing they're saving Zen 2 until the very end of the presentation.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

At this point I am expecting them to announce ZEN2 is a mobile phone exclusive.

Either that or as a PS5 and Xbone 2 exclusive.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I guess this means Intel and Nvidia can both breath a sigh of relief and un-clench their rear end cheeks.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Lol did Anandtech get zerg rushed?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

This puts it over Intel for IPC at half the power.

Missing: cores, 5ghz, prices

Ugh. loving cockteases.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Now my old 2500K rig just needs to hold together until this summer or fall. Come on old girl, you can do it! :sweatdrop:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

OhFunny posted:

Gamers Nexus is reporting their sources have informed them that Zen2 core count will be 8, 12, and 16 for the Ryzen 3000 series.

Edit: Never mind, I'm a dummy and misinterpreted the source info.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 23, 2019

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

So it's actually going to be 4, 6, 8, 12, and 16 for the core counts then? That still puts the 8-core CPUs in the mid-range offerings doesn't it? A possible Ryzen 5 3600 with 8C/16T for ~$250 would still be pretty sweet.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 23, 2019

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Khorne posted:

Probably not going to happen. DDR5 is coming, and so are massive improvements after zen2. Zen3 is supposed to be another zen2 tier jump, and intel's new stuff will probably be pretty good once it finally arrives in 2020/2021. The next few years are going to be chaos and nothing like 2011-2018.

So even if I upgrade from my 2500k to a 8C/16T Zen2 CPU something much better is going to be right around the corner (1-2 years) anyway?

Now I want CPU tech to stagnate again so my next build will last as long at my 2500k build has lasted. I don't want to build a 2700X or a 3700X rig this Fall and then have to upgrade again only 2-3 years later.

Edit: but if my 2500k rig dies before then, gently caress it, I'll build a cheap 2600X system and upgrade again in 3 years.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 9, 2019

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

taqueso posted:

There is always 'something much better' 1-2 years away.

I actually don't want stagnation but I don't want to have to upgrade my rig every 2-3 years either. My rig before this one my C2D E8400 lasted me only three years but my current rig my 2500k@4.2GHz has lasted me almost eight years now and still runs every game I throw at it but some newer games don't run as good as they could because the CPU is finally starting to show its age.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Palladium posted:

R5 2600/B450/16GB DDDR4 is only ~$300 with deals and its still gonna take forever to become semi-obsolete in games. If you can't even afford that you have more serious IRL issues than PC gaming.

I mentioned that I plan on doing that if my current rig dies before Zen 2 launches.

quote:

Edit: but if my 2500k rig dies before then, gently caress it, I'll build a cheap 2600X system and upgrade again in 3 years.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 9, 2019

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

If you're still on a 2500k, try manually disabling the meltdown/spectre mitigations. Breathed life back in to my system, overhead on those old CPUs is nasty especially if you have an SSD. Something in the background starts throwing a lot of ops around and the added CPU overhead from the syscalls turns everything to a stuttering mess.

I do have an SSD but I'm mostly concerned with gaming performance and I thought games weren't affected by the meltdown and spectre mitigations. It's only some newer games that are having performance issues but I simply chalked that up to my 2500k being 8 years old. If gaming is affected by the mitigations, is there a how-to guide on disabling them?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Gah, that pretty much convinced me to go ahead and build an AMD rig this spring, probably in April or May. Either that or play older games and indie titles until Zen 2 becomes widely available meaning no price-gouging. And somewhat newer games don't "stutter" on my rig, I just get lower fps and some input lag. Then again I'm not playing every single new AAA game on my system.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 12, 2019

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

I was holding off from a 6600k upgrade until Zen 2 but after yet another issue with a current gen game I decided to just say gently caress it. Got a 2600x on the weekend and even if I only use it until end of the year, definitely worth it. I didn't realize the extent my CPU was bottlenecking my GPU (GeForce 1080) but all of my issues with stuttering and etc are gone now.

Which current gen game was that?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

Far Cry 5, AC: O, certain areas of Apex Legends, BF V, Division 2 and I'm sure others I haven't had time to test yet. I saw huge improvements in Far Cry 5 and BF V especially, no more stuttering or hitching. I was worried about it being a waste with Zen 2 in a few months but I decided I will just upgrade whenever I feel like it and toss the 2600x in my file server.

I'm so glad I have no desire to play any of those games because I'm still on a 2500k and waiting for Zen 2. I do want to play Cyberpunk 2077 when it finally comes out but I'll have a new system by then.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Now I'm getting this feeling that the 8C/16T Zen 2 CPUs will probably start at ~$400 and who knows how much a decent X570 board will cost. A 2600X or 2700X build is looking more and more tempting.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 2, 2019

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

So the PS5 is going to be like the PS3: powerful but also expensive (for a video game console) and AAA games will be more expensive to develop for it in order to take advantage of all that hardware horsepower. And last I read Microsoft was developing two next-gen consoles one for 1080p60 gaming (Scarlet) and one for 4K60 gaming with Ray Tracing support (Anaconda).

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

What were the 6/7 stream processors of the Cell even supposed to be good for?

Making the Uncharted games look prettier? Running Folding@Home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

If we don't get any new info on Zen 2 (specs/price/release date) at Computex I will start to worry.