Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Those are all great suggestions and I’ve done all of it as a good goon should. Thanks for putting that together.

The symptoms are the same on a replacement mobo with working psu, so time for a CPU upgrade I suppose.

Take care, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Truga posted:

some good poo poo coming down the pipelines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCgkzLayauA

oh man that's rad. thanks for posting this

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Trolling Thunder posted:

Can I get a sanity check?

I've got a 5600x on a b550 with a plat+ 1200W PSU. A couple of days ago, my pc abruptly shut down and now it won't reboot. Mobo LEDs are lit, but when I press power, I hear a click from the PSU and nothing else happens. No fan movement, nothing.

When I pulled the mobo, I noticed the CPU cooler push-pins had come detached from the mobo, but despite this, the CPU remained tightly stuck to the cooler due to thermal paste. I had to forcefully twist-pull to remove the cooler that had been stuck on the CPU.

PSU tests good on another system. I replaced the mobo and get the same "click" business upon powering up. No boot.

I assume I fried my 5600x, but want to check to see if there's something else I should check before I order a replacement. I wish there was a way to definitively tell if this CPU is hosed or not. I hate this poo poo. Thanks.

oh my loving god sometimes i hate computers so loving much

Over two months, I slowly replaced every goddamned part out, one at a time -- cpu / ram / mobo / psu -- and it wouldn't loving boot, only a single click. even with a new psu!!! wtf????

I unplugged the 8-pin power supply connection from the mobo (left only the 24-pin power connected) and it booted!

6-month-old 5600X abruptly shuts down and won't boot. Solution is to remove the 8-pin CPU power supply that had been connected up to that moment, because?? ;alkdjfaihjf;oavl;kjnfk jasdff ika;ifja;kldfasjkadfs gently caress me.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
okay, gently caress, I was wrong. It's something to do with my 980ti. It has a 6+8 pin connection. If I have the 8-pin connected on the 980ti, the computer won't boot. Have I said I hated computers?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
yep, video card is borked, lol. When the 8-pin is plugged into the card, I get one click from any psu/mobo/ram/cpu combo. Everything works fine with an old 670 put in.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Not upgrading to Windows 11 until it's more stable and has more interesting features is what's really won

Report from the field: I installed it and as far as I can tell, the only thing they did was change some fonts and gently caress up the task bar

/out

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I’m gonna oc it anyways and you can’t stop me, lisa su

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Oh man they’re juicing every last mhz out of this thing

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

hobbesmaster posted:

Now, must people would immediately ask “yes but is the cpu stable” but I’m jumping straight to “is the keyboard stable?”

lmao. it boots but touching the keyboard gives you a shock

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
lol getting angry about mobo vrms!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Wait, I’ve totally missed these rumors. Are these chips
intended for existing AM4 boards?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

kliras posted:

threadripper pro 5995WX review. note that they don't throw in a 5800X3D to compare with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ-c6SmVuDY

cups the size of ipads

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Which brand of mayo is the least conductive?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I'm on AM4 and I just got my 5800X3D which will be the end of the line for me -- hoping for a good, long run with this lil' guy. Plan to pair it with a 4080/RDNA3 card and hide in a cave for a few years.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

forest spirit posted:

I'm going to get the 5800x3d to swap out my 3600, which I got at release to let my Xeon monstrosity die. I think a lot of people are in the same boat

Yep. The last hurrah for AM4. I plan on a long run with this one. Cheers!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I went from a 5600X to a 5800X3D because I wanted to ride this AM4 board and ddr4 as long as I can. I play map games at 4K and could tell an immediate difference, fwiw.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Friendship ended with 5600X, 5800X3D is my best friend now.

What is up, my fellow friend in tha club! I made the same move a few months ago -- no regrets. Enjoy!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Rexxed posted:

AntOnline has the 5800X3D for $300 also:
https://www.antonline.com/AMD/Computers/Electronic_Components/Microprocessors/1446233

I'm trying really hard not to buy one but my reasons for doing it keep adding up.

snipe: you should get it

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
^ I have this card. It's on the shroud too. Wait, no, I'm wrong. Mine has that elf but she's holding a lazer weapon of some sort. Sorry everyone!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
in trying to reseat an nvme drive I broke a capacitor off from my MSI B550 board and everything still works fine? No probs for a day or so. Amazing.

Anyhoo...got a replacement coming, thanks for reading!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If your system is running all the time, there are (mostly internal, sometimes external) that keep things in check.

a Good Post

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Hi everyone,

I'm living in an apartment with terrible power, and I'd like to reduce my wattage during heavy gaming. I've heard about a voltatge "offset" and I went poking around, but I don't know where these setting might be or what they're called. I've got an MSI B550 tomahawk with a 5800X3D.

I'm not looking to push the envelope, but would like to know what a safe-and-sane reduction might be... and where I might find it.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Thanks so much for this! I apprecitate it and yeah, I've addressed the video card power in another thread. I'm good now.