Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
LGA makes it easy to add tons of contacts though. They're already at over 1700 for AM5. LGA2011-v3 and LGA2066 have a bit over 2000 and were 4 channel memory platforms.

There are mobos that support those sockets brand new that sell for around $160 these days so its not THAT expensive or onerous to do. Especially vs what new AM5 mobos can cost.

They're probably worried about appeasing OEM's would be my guess. OEM's are already so drat cheap they still often ship modern systems with a single DIMM of the lowest clocked stuff they can get to save a buck or 2. They'd probably be pissed if they were forced to buy 4 DIMMs every time for AMD systems.

That and until recently I don't think most cared about iGPU performance which is where that extra bandwidth would really matter.

FWIW technically DDR5 is already quad channel buuuut its 4x 32bit channels instead of 4x 64bit channels like with LGA2011-v3 and LGA2066 so we'd reaaaaallllly wanting here are 8x 32bit channel memory systems!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If they're gonna double stack like that then I'd think they'll have to lower power/clocks (even with the process shrink).

Or is the IOD big enough that you can put a CCD and the L3 die side by side on top of it instead of all 3 on top of each other?

I suppose if the edges over hang they can just put a support underneath it if necessary. Can't be that hard or expensive to put a bit of aluminum under it if necessary.

Probably would be worth it at that point to make the IHS into a vapor chamber instead of a slug of solid metal. But then I think doing something like that on the X Zen4 chips now would've been a good idea (and I wouldn't have minded a shim + exposed die instead).

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

BobHoward posted:

why not make the IOD and the L3 die one big die?
My understanding is thats a no go for AMD due to economics of a big IOD but conceptually what you're talking about sounds like it'd work out just fine.

BobHoward posted:

This would keep the coefficient of thermal expansion of all the support materials for the die on top the same so that there's no bending forces as temperatures move around.
Sure but I thought aluminum has minor thermal expansion at the temps a typical CPU would be running at? Isn't the epoxy or glue or whatever it is a bigger potential issue?

Arzachel posted:

The advantage of stacking the cache is that there's basically no latency penalty. Having a separate memory die on the interposer/IOD would be much less useful for CPU performance but would be great for GPU bandwidth, if they're going that route with APUs.
Yeah that is a great point. I don't think they care too much about APU iGPU bandwidth very much and are more interested in boosting general performance somehow someway so that would nix my idea.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Indiana_Krom posted:

Terabytes of cache to make up for everything being programmed as a lovely web app.

This is it.

This is the way.

Gentlement, we have the plan, now AMD need only execute on it~~

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess my TUF X670-E is already unsupported, given the latest BIOS is still on AGESA 1.0.8.0, while those dumb ROG boards are on 1.1.0.1 already.

--edit: Also, something something LogoFAIL vulnerability. A new BIOS would be nice. You Asusholes.

1.0.8.0 is pretty recent still and gives you the best benefits (higher DDR5 clocks + support for higher capacity DDR5) you'd need. 1.1.0.1 is mostly to support the new processors that are coming. Having tried it on my Aorus x670e you don't want it. Its VERY buggy right now for most people.

Actually just checked their site and GB pulled it! So yeah its super bad. Don't bother with it.

Yeah I think they've said BIOSes to fix the various (there is supposed to be a bunch of them) vulnerabilities in UEFI are coming in the next few months. That is going to effect EVERYONE (Intel too) so that'll be interesting to see get rolled out too. I hope they do a fix for AM4 as well.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
So at least some mobo OEM's are releasing updated BIOS'es that also have that UEFI fix that addresses all those new super hosed attacks that got brought up a while back.

The Gigabyte one is still in beta but so far so good as far as I can tell for stability. Didn't do a thing to improve overclocking the RAM or anything but seems no worse as well. Dunno if it really plugs all those security holes though.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Klyith posted:

For most of us it's a very low threat, and I wouldn't run out to install a beta bios just for that.

Fair 'nuff.

I don't mind installing beta BIOS'es these days due to flashback but I can understand others getting put off by dealing with any potential SNAFU's.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Combat Pretzel posted:

The 1.1.0.1 version of ComboPI AM5 still poo poo as 1.1.0.0?

Varies on a board to board basis. Its fine for me though. Gigabyte aorus x670e master. The previous version was poo poo for me and I have no clue why.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Jack Trades posted:

The 5600 looks like a really good upgrade for a very good price, so I think I'll go with that.

A 5600 will be a good step up from a 2600 but just keep in mind a couple of years or so down the road you'll have 1 more good upgrade out of AM4 if you get a 5800x3d. They'll probably be cheap in your country by then I'd guess are totally worth it for gaming so long as the price isn't too steep.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Koskun posted:

I thought the BIOS update for zen5 was due to the mobile chips just starting to hit the market?

I think you're thinking of the recently released 8000 series APU's which are pretty much the same as the 7000 series APU's (so same Zen4 CPU cores, same RDNA3 iGPU) but now they have a "NPU" built in for AI acceleration.

Anyways, its a rumor but supposedly Zen5 will have a full 512 bit wide FPU (Zen4/c is 2x 256 bit) and Zen5c will be the same which will be interesting if that turns out to be true. If they can keep the chip from throttling when the FPU is in use it could be a nice boost for some work loads. If nothing else the PS3 emulation guys will be super happy.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, there's rumors going around that there's going to be an AM5+ soon.
Unless the memory standards change (not happening soon for desktop) or they want to suddenly support a iGPU that'll burn another 50W+ on the same package with the CPU's burning 150W+ (also not happening) AM5 isn't changing for a good while.

AMD has already publicly stated AM5 will be in use until very late 2025 or early 2026 so we've got at least 1 more major CPU core update coming after Zen5 for it.

There is talk that the mobile socket might change to support a new DIMM standard (CAMM) but that is something entirely different than the desktop AM5 socket and is due to the memory standard possibly changing. AMD tends to lag Intel on changing sockets for new memory so I doubt this will happen "soon" as well.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The existence of an AM5+ socket is alluded to in the change notes for this tool.
Yeah I saw that, it means nothing.

Vague allusions to all sorts of things that never come to light are going to be found in these tools, firmware, and software updates so getting worked about them as if they're solid evidence is pointless.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You shouldn't assume that just because AMD said they'll support AM5 for X length of time that all new architectures released in that timeframe will utilize AM5.
I can understand being cynical about any companies' comments about future products but truly new socket is expensive enough that launching one for a specific architecture is prohibitive for AMD and they're not going to do it without good reason. I think either the AMD CEO or execs have stated that Zen 6 is coming for AM5 as well so its not unreasonable to interpret "support" as supporting new arch and not just BIOS updates or continued production.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Cygni posted:

What can we learn from this?
That the past of a decade+ ago is not a guarantee or indicator of the near future?

It should be noted that many of the "new" sockets were minor revisions of the existing socket, which was why there was significant compatability across chips from the """old""" sockets, and that most of these revisions were addressing relatively minor issues.

There isn't a hint of issues requiring a socket change coming down the pipe for AM5, it didn't play out that way for AM4, and AM3+ was around for quite a while too without issue.

Klyith posted:

So AM5+ might be the initial DDR6 platform that's compatible with AM5, but you need the new CPU to use DDR6.
Isn't DDR6 going to be a fairly large departure from DDR5? Power regulation is supposedly be moved to the DIMM modules themselves instead of the mobo now with DDR6. I think they're looking at doing a LP/CAMM2 variant for it too right? I dunno if it'll only be for laptops though.

I'm no EE but it sounds like its going to need a whole new socket.

I wouldn't be surprised if AM5 and AM6(?) exist along side each other for a while the same way AM4 and AM5 do with AM5 taking 4's place of being the cheaper option.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
There are a relative handful of X670/E mobos that have a PCIe4 x4 lane (but full length physical x16) slot but that is it as far as I know.

This time around everyone seems to have crammed m.2 slots everywhere they could instead of full PCIe slots, even at PCIe 1.0 or 2.0, like they used to.