Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Cygni posted:

Because we are consumers trying to get the best goods for as cheap as possible from huge billion dollar multinational corporations?
Intel tends to dissappoint so thoroughly on pricing that its unreasonable to make any expectations they're going to compete on price enough to matter here. Maybe if AMD had a hands down performance lead the story would be different and you'd see a ~$200 6C/12T Coffeelake but that isn't the case.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

it'd be great if software devs optimised for >4 cores.
Isn't this already happening? Its taken years but now there are several games that will use up to 8 threads. If you mean you want games that will use 12 threads or more unfortunately I think you're going to be waiting a very long time.

edit: That is still ~50%+ more expensive than what the 1600 is currently going for though. While certainly cheaper than what they used to sell a 6C/12T chip for that doesn't really seem all that affordable or "cheap" per se.\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I'm kind've surprised so many are so shocked about this. Its not like the AdoredTV guy was digging through some obscure legal files to find this information. I mean heck its all out there in public easily searchable articles and wikis, not moldering away in some ex-engineer's basement.

Intels technical side does produce some solid stuff but its been well known that from a business ethical practices and legal standpoint they've been incredibly shameless scumbags since at least the 80's. Every bit as bad as ol' Big Blue was back in the 60's and 70's for the legal harassment shenanigans they pulled to supress competition.

Oh well whatever raises awareness of the issue is a good thing I guess.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 27, 2017

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

kirtar posted:

The one problem I have with Ryzen 3 in concept is at that integrated graphics should probably be present in the entry level price range.
I'd have to agree with this. I think if they did a iGPU in the chipset again, just to have something it doesn't need to be much at all, to serve that need they'd be in the clear.

I believe AMD would argue that is what their APU's are for but they're not out yet and they'll probably cost at least a big more these new Ryzen 3's.

That being said if all you need is windows/word garbage tier nvidia GF210 dGPU's are available new for $30 or less.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Hm. The heatspreader has that weird rib in the middle...
The whole 4 dies on 1 package is pretty weird right now so odd solutions are probably necessary to make it all work. Maybe they were worried about the package flexing too much on install? Pressure should be pretty constant once the CPU is in the socket and the HSF is on right?

Cygni posted:

either way, the whole thing is weird.
If they're just salvaging Epyc's with dies that are a lil' too bad that can't be removed and reused for some reason and/or failed packages it makes perfect sense. Just weird to see.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Combat Pretzel posted:

What does memory latency have to do with IF? Does IF also use CAS timings?

Memory and IF bus clocks are linked so if you crank the memory speed up you'll increase the IF bus clocks too. Changing the memory timings won't do a thing to the IF bus.

That is why lots of people are trying to get to 3200Mhz on the DDR4 with AMD. Gets you something like 5-10% performance improvement in general. DDR4 3000 speeds (or 2933) is much easier to do and tends to cost quite a bit less ($124 for 16GB right now) and will get you much of the benefits as far as I can tell. There is some AMD specific RAM kits out (Flare X) but they tend to have a price premium that is too high IMO but if you want to get to DDR4 3400 or 3600 speeds they're pretty much the only game in town.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Then I don't get those graphs. Between 3466 whatever and 3466 CL14 there's a huge bump, IF speeds should be the same between them
Memory latency will still effect CPU performance though so lowering it can make a decent performance difference. The scaling won't necessarily be linear either.

But changing CAS memory latencies will have no more effect on the IF bus performance itself then it would on the PCIe bus.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

ShinAli posted:

can I just get any brand of DDR4-3600? Do I need to get 4 sticks in order to get it to clock at 3600? I heard some brands of memory were getting issues to clock right with Ryzen.
There is no RAM guaranteed to work at 3600 with Zen at all right now. The best you could do are those Single Rank GSkill Flare X kits that are rated for 3200 and try your luck OC'ing them to 3600. Its not impossible but its not easy so don't go expecting to hit 3600.

Really though given how well Zen performs with properly tuned 3400 RAM you might be better off adjusting your goals. And if you "only" can get 3200 stable I wouldn't get too upset either. That still provides a nice benefit over 2133 or 2400 DDR4 on Zen.

This post by AMD on RAM overclocking for Zen is pretty informative and useful, not sure if you've seen it or not but just in case:
https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/07/14/memory-oc-showdown-frequency-vs-memory-timings

e: woops didn't know Geil had their AMD specific kits out too now, they're not common yet but they are out there now and somewhat cheaper than GSkill's kits which is nice. Apparently they're supposed to eventually have a 3466 capable kit out but I don't see it in stock anywhere yet

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 4, 2017

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Sri.Theo posted:

So not many people have been discussing the lack of thunderbolt on AMD platforms. I think that will suck more then many people think for laptops, particularly as accessories are developed for it.
There aren't many talking about it because not many care about it nor is there any indication that TB is going to really take off since its inherently more expensive than USB3 while not offering any practical difference in terms of performance for use in something like a flash drive or external hard drive which is the sort of thing most care about.

The one possible thing that gets most anyone sorta excited about TB here, much less actual non-PC enthusiasts who don't even care much about this at all, is the possibility of using it to connect a external GPU to a laptop and even that is a fairly niche use case.

Honestly even that, and the other really high performance, niche(s) might not exist for TB that much longer given 20Gbps USB3.2 is coming, probably in late 2018 at the earliest, but still it kinda throws a damper on things. Yeah TB3's 40Gpbs will still beat it but TB1, 2, and 3 have been faster than USB3 for years and it hasn't helped it much at all similar to like how Firewire was faster than USB2 but it still ended up in the dustbin of history.

Fastest isn't the same as "best" since transfer rates are just 1 part of a pile of things that factor into which might be "best" for most.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Sri.Theo posted:

I hope AMD considers it for their laptop processors.
They'd have to do a new chipset and so far there is no word on that happening anytime soon for either desktop or laptops.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Arivia posted:

Maybe a new chipset to go with Raven Ridge?
Nope, not even a hint so far of any new chipset for AMD even in 2018. There are certain things that would be much nicer to have IMO (ie. integrated Wifi, more PCIe lanes, USB3.2, etc.) but they don't even need any of that its just nice to have. Something like TB making it into a AMD chipset at any point in the future is looking slim right now. I'd count on 10Gbe becoming a common feature before that would happen.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Munkeymon posted:

Itanium had some cool features. Maybe if it'd taken over we'd have the sufficiently smart compiler it needed to realize its potential. More likely ARM would have buried it, heh.
A lack of Itanium isn't something that has been keeping compiler development back at all though. Realistically any compiler that could make EPIC work well would've made any VLIW architecture work well too. Or at least better anyways. Imagine something like AMD's old Terascale GPU arch. but actually competent at general purpose work loads, THAT would've been impressive.

The reality is the magic compilers that were needed to really get the performance Intel was predicting out of EPIC for general purpose work loads are still a pipe dream and all talk by Intel of them being "on the way" or "just a few years out" was straight up lies. And Intel's response of "performance doesn't really matter anymore" to that issue, after several years of saying it'd all work out ~somehow~, was incredibly jaw dropping both from a practical standpoint of "we need more performance guys WTF" and from a marketing one given Intel's own comments about how badass EPIC was going to be.

AMD isn't some virtuous company at all (see their recent handling of Vega's launch/pricing) but Intel's been such incredible, and thorough, assholes for so many years on so many different things that AMD comes off looking like saints in comparison.

SourKraut posted:

We absolutely have AMD to thank for x86-64, what are you talking about. You'd be living in an Itanium World otherwise. But yeah, AMD shouldn't be built into a paragon of virtue. Although Intel is definitely the far greater of "evils".
I think AMD deserves some credit for getting the SIMD FP ball rolling in x86-land too. They didn't invent SIMD of course. But if they hadn't tried to improve the K6's FP performance by going the 3DNow route who knows when Intel would've bothered with something like SSE in their consumer grade chips. Imagine being stuck with only x87 today. Or at least for most of the 2010's.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 25, 2017

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yeah daily use has been fine since at least the 1st month. Installation has been boringly smooth on the one I did for my bother.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Munkeymon posted:

Yeah, and I was saying the opposite of that
My point was it wouldn't have mattered. Itanium could've been everywhere and the compilers to make it work well still would never have appeared. Its a fundamental problem that can't be fixed by marketshare or part volume sales so whether Itanium took off or not is a moot issue when talking about compiler development.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Munkeymon posted:

You'd need to somehow software JIT machine code to get it as close to optimal as an x86's internal dispatcher, basically, right?
I remember it as being worse than that (not a compiler researcher here, just remember lots of people's comments at the time about its viability and problems) but essentially yes.

Somehow the compilers were supposed to have kept nearly every internal hardware feature and resource running at near peak usage rates all the time to get the performance (IIRC around triple the IPC of x86 though in a round about way since the design was focused on TLP instead) Intel was expecting hence the denigration "magic compilers" is both a way of pooping on that approach and a literal description of what would've been required.

edit: they do and have gotten better since that time but the pace of improvement is relatively glacial compared to what was expected. The magic ones Intel was expecting with Itanium would probably appear right around the time we get true AI worked out.\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 26, 2017

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

NomNomNom posted:

So I I'm pairing the 1600 with a 1070, so go for the good ram?
Edit: at 1440
If you're gaming at 1440p then you'll be GPU limited nearly always for any newer game.

Its only at 1080p you run into some CPU significant bottlenecking with DDR4-2133. You don't actually need DDR4-3200 to address this for the most part either. DDR4-2933/3000 can get you most of the gains that DDR4-3200 will and runs around $130-ish for 16GB of it going by newegg while 16GB of DDR4-2133 goes for around $120-ish.

A ~$10 price difference is worth it. You'll probably have to do a little finangling of course to get it work at those speeds with Ryzen but unless you're after the lowest possible timings for each setting this isn't all that hard to do.

FWIW I used some DDR4-3000 that was meant for Intel X99 and X100 platforms and it worked fine at DDR4-2933 with the XMP settings in the BIOS after bumping up the DRAM volts to 1.4 and increasing the SoC volts to ~1.1. Took a few minutes to do those changes in the BIOS and to reboot and its been fine for months now. Some reported they had to switch to T2 command rates to get it to work at those speeds with Ryzen but that still isn't all that bad for non-B die stuff. A few have gotten it to work at DDR4-3200 but don't buy it expecting that.

It was this stuff here I used. Not worth buying right now if you're on a tight budget since the price went up to $150 for 16GB but it was $132 when I bought it a few months ago.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Seamonster posted:

But you have to buy good RAM ($$$becauseDRAMpricingisfuuuuucked$$$$) to get the better out of any Ryzen
DDR4-3000 litterally only costs a few bucks more than DDR4-2666 which is itself only a few bucks more than DDR4-2133.

Heck you can find 8GB DDR4-3000 that is only $1 more than 8GB DDR4-2133. Yeah its meant for Intel Z170 chipsets but as of AGESA 1.0.0.4-1.0.0.6 BIOS's most AM4 boards will run it at the listed speed with some minor volt bumps.

Now if you really want DDR4-3200 or faster with Ryzen then yes the more expensive AMD specific kits are necessary but DDR4-3000/2933 will give you nearly all the benefits for far less.

So at this point the whole 'AMD needs $$$$$$youfuckedboiDRAMlololol$$$$$$' RAM thing is pretty much FUD. Really it has been for months now.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Lolcano Eruption posted:

32 Gigs of B-Die RAM that actually runs at 3200 is $100 more than non B-Die.
I don't understand what you're getting at here: when did I say otherwise?

You should note that I did say that if you want 3200 or faster you will have to pay more for it on AMD in that post you quoted.

My point was that a)3200 and/or expensive RAM isn't actually needed at all and that b)DDR4-3000, which is c)relatively cheap at the moment, gets you most of the benefits anyways if you want a nice speed boost with faster RAM for AM4 AMD platforms right now.

Lolcano Eruption posted:

I Bought 32 gigs DDR4-3200 at $250, they were SK Hynix and I can't do over 2666.
That is normal right now and AMD has been pretty clear about this as have the mobo vendors with their QVL lists. If you want 32GB+ of RAM you have to expect to sacrifice some speed since that means either filling all the DIMM slots or using DR DIMM's which have a known speed penalty right now for AM4.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Craptacular! posted:

Yes B350 will let you OC, but I’ve read that the VRMs or something component-wise were less than ideal on some/many boards.

NewFatMike posted:

Ah did not know. I mean it's a pretty weird use case since it needs DP anyway, so it's extra research. I'll keep a lookout. Thanks!
Unless you're trying to OC a 8 core Ryzen or really pushing a 6 core as hard as possible even the cheap mobos are supposed to be fine for OC'ing the 4 core APU's that are coming.

Buildzoid did a very good video on this shortly after launch so its a bit old now but not much has changed with the cheap mobo's or their VRM's since then.

Think this is it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGrxhf_xZWI

No one really knows about OC'ing the built in iGPU. That has its own power plane that isn't really being used much by current Ryzens since none of them have iGPU's. vSoC power delivery will matter lots for that sort of thing though I strongly suspect that just slapping in some DDR4-3000 will be of more benefit than trying to crank iGPU clocks.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

AMD coming out with a 7-actually-10nm product that performs before Intel can push out their 10nm laptop chips would be quite hilarious

Yeah I don't think AMD has had a chip with a process advantage, or even been on par, on Intel since they beat Intel to copper way back in the early K7 days. It'd be interesting to see if they can really manage to knock it out of the park again.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 26, 2017

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
They probably did some marketing research and found Vega still sounds cooler so it gets more interest rather than Radeon Mobile or some such would.

Stupid? Sure. But that is marketing for you.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

FaustianQ posted:

Except it gives no specifics about it's actual performance whatsoever. Lmao at confused customers
True but everyone has been pulling that BS stunt for years now with confusing model names that don't tell you a actual thing about performance or features. Particularly on the low end.

Not saying that makes it right. Just that its become the de facto "normal" and venting about it is kinda hopeless at this point. You gotta save your capital M Mad rage energy for the important stuff otherwise you'll burn out.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I think AMD is happy to sell its GPU's to anyone and if that means they get to take a piece of Intel's pie as half of the APU equation that is fine by them. That doesn't mean they wouldn't have preferred to have Vega or Fury work out better for them but business is business.

Price is going to matter lots here. If it turns out to cost $400-500+ then I think it'll be a hard sell for most since it'll work out to probably offer similar bang vs buck to a more typical Intel/AMD + dGPU laptop. If its like $200-300-ish and offers mid-ish range dGPU performance with a 4C/8T or better Kaby Lake with good clocks with good volume parts then that is a big big deal and Nvidia's entire low/mid range mobile market share might just drat near evaporate within 2 quarters.

Given that they're supposedly targeting high perf thin n' light platforms with this thing that strongly suggests to me it'll be fairly expensive and either a ho hum or low volume part for high end laptops while also being fairly power limited in what it can clock to which will have a significant effect on performance in a bad way. Which to me would be disappointing and kinda uninteresting since I strongly do not care about the $1800+ laptop market and I don't think most others are interested or capable of spending that much money in general on a laptop these days either.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
That is drat interesting.

If its accurate it sounds like GF's "7nm" process will come out slightly ahead of time vs Intel's "10nm" and they'll essentially trade blows overall with either one having small-ish advantages in limited circumstances instead of the more typical situation of Intel having a head-and-shoulders-above-the-rest process lead when it comes to making high performance CPU's.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

it's with regard to HBM2 stacks not presenting a level plane with Vega dies.

Honestly, I don't envy the engineers who have to figure this poo poo out.
They just have to start attaching a thin metal layer (can be aluminum or copper, both will work) over the dies to bring everything up to even at the foundry/packaging processing site to level out height differences since the AIB vendors can't seem to get the HSF tolerances right. Or just do a IHS if they don't mind spending a little more per package if you want a more durable solution.

Actually changing the package or dies themselves to level out height differences probably is more trouble than its worth and would indeed be a engineering mess.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

I mean they could just set specifications with reasonable tolerances and stick to them I guess.
All companies have a hard time following specs though. I remember back in the day a story about how K6's were overheating cuz' a certain OEM couldn't be bothered to get the HSF specs right and initially put all the blame on AMD. Stupid poo poo like this happens all the time, no empty platitude alone can fix it.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 21, 2017

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I think historically (well since the late 90's) speaking nearly every time we've had these simultaneous and dramatic DRAM price increases someone always gets busted for price fixing, gets a tap on the wrist, and prices go back down to sane levels for a couple of years or so before it all starts again.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Potato Salad posted:

30%... is almost as far back as Sandy Bridge?
Probably a tad slower at somethings if the hit is really that huge. Most things don't seem to be getting effected that bad though + the software to address it seems to be getting worked on super fast so its probably more of a blow for Intel's prestige than anything else.

If it was an across the board 30% hit to performance + the fixes didn't come out for a long time then I could see it hurting their server sales significantly.

AFAIK the biggest issue AMD has is in the server market is getting more Epycs out the door since demand is high so its not like they can really capitalize on that potential weakness anyways. Given the way Epycs are made they should be able to get production ramped relatively quickly so maybe in another quarter or 2 their supply issues will clear up and we'll really begin to see them get some market share in the server space. Taking "just" 10% of the market from Intel would be big for them, getting back to 20% market share like they had back in the Opteron heyday would be huge.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Paul MaudDib posted:

The really funny thing is that 50% number actually comes from running the patch on Epyc processors, not Intel (where the pathological case is 30%). In other words, a rough guess might be that this patch hits AMD twice as hard as it hits Intel. If they switch it on by default, Intel could actually gain relative performance :allears:

10 years from now we'll still be hearing about how Bernie Would Have Won if only Intel wasn't cheating, release the nopti benchmarks shintel!

It's really not the world's worst idea to just do it by default if the performance impact is that minimal, though.
This is the crap right here that people are talking about when they're talking about your excessive bias and ridiculous posting when it comes to anything that might be bad for AMD Paul.

It seems like you're bipolar or something when it comes to Intel or AMD and you need to address that or at least learn to tone down the hyperbole 20 or so notches when it comes to anything anti AMD or pro Intel you might say.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Mediatek or Rockchip SoC would be my bet.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

It's not biased to say it affecting epyc more then Intel is funny as hell
Given his past comments there was no reason to believe he was just trying to be funny plus it wasn't the bug effecting Epyc in that test, it was the fix for Intel's chips that was causing the poor performance.

Since the fix won't apparently be needed for AMD's chips its not a issue.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

I was referring to Paul's post about the patch.

Really we should all hug.
I know so was I.

I don't think Paul is a bad person/poster. I think he/she does post some good information on plenty other topics. Just anything Intel/AMD is gonna be questionable all too often.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Haha for having a desktop CPU in it its not even all that thick for a 2017 mid-high end gaming laptop. Its almost like a svelter version of the old school desknote which I haven't seen in a long time.

I kinda wish more companies would do something like that for the gaming/power laptop crowd. Thin n' light is nice but if I really need/want the performance and upgradability I'm happy to sacrifice those things to get it. Especially if it can save some money.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Cygni posted:

Essentially, yeah. It's on a slightly improved process, and they will be launching new chipsets (rebadged? i cant think of any new features to add)
Rumor mill says the 400 series AM4 chipsets are going to have increased bandwidth between the CPU and "south bridge" and no word yet of any other changes. So yeah pretty much a rebadge. If you already have a AM4 mobo it doesn't seem like it'd be worth bothering with but if you're doing a whole new PC it'd a "why not?" thing to get.

Cygni posted:

But they have explicitly said its the same architecture, so maybe a few hundred more mhz?
For stock clocks this is about what I'd expect. OC'ing might get you mid to low 4Ghz range with some degree of reliability vs being stuck at ~4Ghz now. If you already have a AM4 chip or a Skylake or newer Intel CPU that won't be worth getting either unless you really want/need a affordable 8C/16T chip at those speeds. If you're still holding on to Sandybridge it'd be a tough upgrade to hate on though I think.

Cygni posted:

If yields are good, maybe we get 6 cores all the way down the stack or more aggressive pricing, both of which would be cool for gamers targeting the R5 1600/ i5 8400 bang-for-the-buck zone.
I don't think you'll see 6C chips all the way down, not when they can still sell 4C/8T for ~$100, or see them for much cheaper than what they're currently going for but I'd expect to see them at similar to current prices with more Mhz. For ~$200 a 6C/12T Ryzen @ 3.6-3.8Ghz non-boost speeds w/ HSF is a decent deal. Not worth the upgrade if you currently have a AM4 chip but might make some Sandybridge hold outs make the jump. Especially if they live near Microcenter. Although some of those Amazon mobo+CPU combos are getting to be respectable too price-wise.

For anyone with a current AM4 chip or a Skylake or newer system your probably best off saving money for a better GPU or monitor until Ryzen2/+/whatever they're calling it now comes out in super late 2018/early 2019. That sounds like it could be a big IPC + clock speed jump there. Unless maybe you need more threads I guess but most won't need more than what a 8C/16T or even "just" a 6C/12T Ryzen/Intel chip can offer.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Haha boy I still can't believe either AMD or Intel though it'd be a good ideal to implement these sorts of "secure and trusted" shitshows into their systems or chips.

Its virtually guaranteed they'll either miss something in testing or years down the road the latest greatest security methods are found to have some sort of exploitable flaw and then they've got a mess on their hands.

If they'd at least give the end users some way to disable it permanently (ie. a jumper on the mobo) then I wouldn't care but neither seem to want to do things the right way here.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I suppose but fix is already out and can’t you just outright disable PSP anyway?
Supposedly a AGESA update was going to allow that (there was some talk of it in early Dec in response to Intel's IME mess) but I don't think its available yet and some have said there is no way to really confirm if its disabling PSP at all or not anyways.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 6, 2018

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
The OEM's do what they want and AMD can't make them use their chips. What do you expect them to do? Follow Intel's practices of paying OEM's to use their stuff?

Even if they wanted to do that I don't think they have the cash flow to pull off that tactic.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Craptacular! posted:

I can't see it? Intel users seem to be pretty self-aware of the company's failings.
There are a handful of prolific posters that get super defensive about either company that would quickly raise the shitposting fights to a degree that would overwhelm anything useful to be gained by combining them and gently caress it up for everyone.

Craptacular! posted:

I've spent most of the past 24 hours trying to find out if the budget Ryzen motherboards are stable and finding that nobody in charge of having tech opinions actually buys them. :shobon:
Is it for a office corporate setting or what? If so yeah they won't yet until Dell/HP/Lenovo have been selling them for a while.

If you're buying for home/enthusiast use so long as it has a BIOS update with the latest public AGESA version almost all of them are perfectly fine. If you're overclocking you'll want one with a good VRM and maaaaybe a external clock gen if you want to try and max it as much as possible but the latter is usually not really needed especially if you're sticking to air cooling with sensible (ie. 1.3-1.4v tops) overvolting.

SlayVus posted:

So if I planned on doing a system upgrade to TR4 in November, should I just wait for Zen 2 in 2019?
If it were me I'd try to limp along on that system until Zen2.

At this point its looking to be a few months difference of wait and that sort of wait is worth it if the jump is even half as big as its rumored to be.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 13, 2018

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Depends how you define a couple of months. With Zen+, TR+ seems like at least 3 months behind, with what that super precise H2/18 timeline.
While you're right about AMD's time line being more than a little loose I would point out that I said "few" and not "couple" of months and that the guy said he was looking at a Nov. 2018 time frame to upgrade. While a month or 2 of date slippage isn't unreasonable to consider I'd be very surprised if it takes nearly half a year to a year for the TR version of Zen 2 to pop up after desktop Zen 2 appears.

They will still essentially be the same die AFAIK, the difference will be in the package/validation which is the whole advantage with AMD's approach.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Craptacular! posted:

How much does single channel and dual channel matter?
For iGPU performance its pretty much a deal breaker. Like a 40-50% performance hit. Possibly worse at times. Single channel memory for these iGPU's is so colossally stupid as to make them pretty much pointless to buy vs a weaker Intel iGPU based system. Its a huge gimp for a ho-hum cost savings really since a 4GB stick of DDR4 2133 can be had for ~$40 retail right now and the OEM's can get a volume price break on that of some sort.

For CPU only performance the difference will be a different story, it won't be anywhere near as bad, but you'll still see some sort of a performance hit.

If you have a dGPU you'll only have to worry about the CPU performance hit but yeah it won't be too terrible.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Craptacular! posted:

Will this matter if it's a Linux based media player and bittorrent box? I just want to run a Plex server that can trascode because my pokey ancient ARM-based NAS device can't. There won't be any gaming happening on the actual silicon (I'd do Steam in-home streaming from my i7 dGPU if I was into that.)
I want to say it won't be a big deal, that stuff is either mostly CPU dependent or is handled by dedicated hardware in the iGPU I believe, but honestly I haven't used one in that config so I can't say for sure.

Sorry

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Nice to see the X370 Taichi finally get a new AGESA version update too by Fri.

They were pumping updated out frequently for that mobo until Sept of last year and then they just stopped. Maybe had something to do with trying to come up with a Spectre fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The current 3.20 has some core clock locking bug where the processor would be stuck at 1.55Ghz despite whatever settings you applied.
Interesting. Haven't run into this at all with my Taichi. What is supposed to trigger the bug?