Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Just replaced my 2500k crew chiming in. Went with an R5 2600 in a B450 tomohawk with some 3200 c16. Idea is when I see a Zen 2 chip or a good x570 board on sale, I can jump on it without needing ram, proc and board all at once.

I would have waited, but my last of 3 Z77 boards started to get flakey, I've had to drop my overclock down to about 4400 and the thread count/ram bandwidth alone will make up for any differences in pure CPU grunt.

gently caress, my GTX980 will probably never be cpu limited in this thing even at 1080 anyway. I for one welcome our new AMD overlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Stickman posted:

Nobody should, but there's still plenty of people willing to throw a $70 bandaid on an old system rather than $250 to upgrade. And to be fair, even though the upgrade is a much better value it is still quite a bit more expensive.

Anecdotally, in Australia it cost me $578 AUD to upgrade to a 2600/B450 Tomohawk/16GB LPX DDR4 3400 on Monday. That was the cheapest option, even after shopping all of the potential options including those with 3+ week shipping and sketchy RMA stories. So $150 for a 4.5GHZ 2500k (and a $30 Evo 212+) with 16GB DDR3 1600 is a bit of a no-brainer.

I actually managed to get a spare gigabyte z77 working after all - the fucker still lives and still runs at 4.5 - and I'm considering putting the lot on FB marketplace with a GTX770 I have lying around for a few hundred bux. I could probably cover the cost of a 3600x if I put it in a case, but I only have a 450W PSU spare. Is it a smart purchase? Probably not, but for half the cost of a new barebones system, someone is probably gonna pay it.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Well this is an interesting development

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Pro Tip: Don't buy a 180mm PSU if you ever want to run a nice small case again.

When my RM750 finally dies, I'm going smaller. Almost all the nice small ATX /uATX cases want something under 170, or you end up with cables doing 180 degree turns straight out of the back of the PSU.

Looking at rehousing things into a Corsair Graphite 275R because apparently it'll take up to a 300mm monster.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Puddin posted:

God I wish I could get a 1600 and mb combo for that much here in Aus. I'd be all over that so fast.

Yeah the parts picking thread can be a bit mad for your mental health sometimes. A lot of the dudes there are happy to look at aus pricing and suggest something but there's always the guy who inadvertently rubs it in our faces that stateside Amazon specials are just criminally cheap.

My 2600/tomahawk/LPX 3200 16GB combo cost me over $500 and compared to what some places were charging that was a steal.

Can't wait for the 3600 to debut at $399 if it's any good

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I've heard of people overseas taking trips to the US and buying the electronics for much cheaper seems to be half the reason for going sometimes or at least a nice side benefit for going.

Is that sort of thing common or are there some gotchas involved?

$1600+ and 22 hours on a plane, and getting randomly interrogated by jackbooted border thugs at both ends - to save $45-75 extra for intl. expedited shipping? yeah I'd pass.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

TheCoach posted:

I have the same GPU and I still consider sticking with it until something happens to GPU prices as they remain a "gently caress no" for me whatever I look at.

Same but GTX980

Apparently a 1660ti is marginally faster for 1080p gaming but gently caress throwing down 3-400 for a marginal improvement on something that already lets me play games on ultra on 1920x1200 and racing games on medium-high at 5760x1200.

At this rate I'll probably be too old to see the difference by the time 4k becomes affordable enough to be worth it for me.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Lambert posted:

Let's hope it doesn't, those prices are insane. But I guess pre-release prices usually don't hold.

That's AU, including tax. For reference, Newegg has the 9600k at $390AUD, which is at a whopping 17% off.

Considering the 3600x is positioned to compete with that cpu (and should spank it given it has SMT and superior performance per clock), pricing for launch day is fine.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Speaking of coolers, I picked up a cheap 2600 with a tomohawk four fitty when they dropped to $230 AUD over here, and it's hitting pretty high temps at 3.85ghz on the stock cooler. Wondering if a $50 Hyper 212 RGB or black edition will get me to 4.2, or do I need to spend Noctua money to tame this drat thing?

Also the scythe mugen 5 rev. b that gets mentioned 5 times per page ITT is not available here at all, just to save y'all some effort.

I may upgrade to a 3600 down the line, but with my use case of occasional gaming on a @1080p 60hz GTX980 I probably won't notice the difference until it's 4600 time.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Lungboy posted:

I think Cryorig H7 or the Arctic Freezer 33 eSports One are both better than the 212 for approximately the same price. No idea if they are available in upside-down land though.

I can get the Cryorig H7 Plus for $69 AUD.

Nice!

Arctic Freezer don't seem to have a presence over here.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
A friend's just asked me to help spec out a Ryzen 3 system - emphasis will be on some casual 1440p gaming, longevity and power efficiency. Thinking 3700x, some DDR3200 or 3600 depending on what's cheap, but not sure whether the Goon Favourite B450 Tomahawk is a good bet, or whether it's best to shoot for a 570 right now, based on some of the beta bios issues I've been hearing about. Is there a go-to board yet, or is it still too early to really tell?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
As a Ryzen 5 2600/ B450 tomohawk owner, I'd disagree with that sentiment.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
To be honest even if it's slightly sketchy, it puts you in a position where you can do cpu, then a b550 board when you catch one on special, and then flog the remainder off with some cheap ram down the line.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So I scanned the last three pages and couldn't see a similar question so sorry if this is a frequently answered one but..

I'm looking to upgrade my 2600 non-x before the end of financial year as a tax deduction. PC is mostly WFH use with some 1440p gaming on occasion.

System is a B550M mortar (original B450 died), WD SN570 nvme ssd and 2*8GB 3200Mhz ram. CPU is cooled by a 360mm AIO because it was cheap and I am dumb. Also have a GTX980 in there which I plan to swap for a 3060 later in the year.

I can claim $300 AUD on an individual purchase without needing to factor in depreciation, so my options are a Ryzen 5600 for $285 or a 5600G for $279.

Is there any reason not to go for the 5600G? Figure if my 980 dies at least I'll be able to work using the iGPU, but if there is a significant difference in architecture or some performance limiting factor on the G I would rather have the 5600.

Thanks folks xoxo

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

lih posted:

the 5600G is not just a 5600 with iGPU added, it's significantly slower than the 5600. the 5600 is far better value for money.

Oh so it's not vermeer-based at all then, well yeah that's an easy choice. I did a bit of digging before deciding to upgrade and it looks like the delta between zen+ and zen3 Vermeer chips is around 40% in the sorts of use cases I'm interested in, and given how long it'll probably take for ddr5 to sort itself out, seems worth it for me.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

orcane posted:

I only wanted to drop a 5800X3D into my SFF PC (currently a 2700X on a B450 board that just got 1.2.0.7) but ended up buying a new mainboard (B550) and SSD for it too :shepspends:

Still rocking my old GTX 980 because lol video cards.

I mean given I don't think I would drop that kind of money on a CPU in general, but it makes a certain kind of sense if you want it to last a couple years, given to upgrade anything beyond this point you're looking at motherboard, CPU and ram in one hit.

Given mainboards are typically the first things to die and the hardest things to find on their own on the used market, you probably made a good choice, plus you can probably find some cheap OEM ram on marketplace and repurpose the 2700 into a decent server or something.

Consider your purchases justified, sir.

Also as a fellow 980 owner, the 4060 isn't coming out for probably 18 months at this point and who knows what fuckery the chip shortage that everyone says is only just beginning will do to the market, so it's probably worth grabbing a 3060 or RX6600 when you can. It'll never be a "good" time to buy a GPU, but there have certainly been worse times, and the 3060 is dipping below MSRP on sale at least, and the RX range actually selling for less than launch MSRP at retail. The 3070 and 3060ti still ain't worth it IMO.

Apart from the huge performance boost, you pick up ray tracing, DLSS, Freesync support, and the ability to display HDR content at greater than 60hz, which the 980 can't do due to old HDMI/Display port standards and the lack of tensor cores.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I got my R5 5600 delivered and installed. Haven't had a chance to play a game or so anything particularly CPU hungry, but absolutely amazed how noticeable the difference is over the 2600 in just general browsing, office apps etc. I wasn't sure I'd see the difference at all. Boot times are down a bit, I feel the 2600 was blunting the impact of moving from the EVO 950 to the WD 570 NVME SSD a bit, definitely seems snappier all round.

Seeing as I have a ridiculously over-specced 360mm AIO on this thing, I was wondering if it's worth playing with overclocking at all? I can't actually find any OC testing and benchmarks for the non-x chip, but I understand that there may be a couple reasons for a chip to get binned down, and I did notice when looking for info on overclocking that they dropped the L3 cache by 1mb, presumably so they can sell chips with very minor faults on that RAM.

Obviously I didn't buy this expecting it to be a Sandy Bridge affair, and if I recall from the initial reviews, Zen3 chips are binned pretty close to their max anyway - but I'm wondering knowledgable goons, if it's worth taking the time to see if this thing can hit higher max clocks or not, seeing as I have the cooling and a decent board (MSI B550 Mortar)?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Klyith posted:

There's probably almost no performance gain from just turning on PBO and giving it more watts, thought you can try. If you have more time to experiment (and validate stability), the new hotness for OCing zen 3 is using an undervolt offset + the curve optimizer to try to get more MHz with less volts. The downside is that stability testing is much harder -- in this method it's possible to be stable running a stress test and occasionally unstable at idle.

Yeh, I use this machine primarily for work, so losing stability on idle sounds like a bit of a shitshow, but the wattage thing was something I was considering. I did a few stress tests using prime95 small FFTs on both single and all core, and while all core hit 4.3ghz and 82c in a few seconds, with one thread it sat on 4.45 with PBO enabled, at about 60c. Given it wasn't thermally constrained I'd have to guess it was hitting its power budget.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm not sure if anything has changed significantly, but doesn't the NH-D15 outperform even most 360mm AIOs on overclocked/generally hot CPUs still? I mean if you were to swap out the stock RGB fans and add top end Noctua high static pressure units and run them at full tilt it would probably compete, but I was under the impression that like for like, AIOs aren't that flash vs premium air.

Custom loop is obviously still king, but yeah, that was my impression.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

Add a +200 auto OC , it’ll probably hang out at 4.65GHz all day.

My wife’s 5600x has a 240mm aio and it’ll cleanly stay at the +200 boost for quite some time while in anything except a stress test.

Finally got round to doing this.

Chucked a +200 "Boost Override CPU" in Ryzen master for the Game Mode profile, let it reboot. Fans on my 360 AIO went psycho, kinda freaked out a bit. Opened HW monitor, and we were sitting on 4650mhz with a peak temp of 83. Did the RM stress test after that and it still didn't pip 84c so I feel like that's pretty good, given my 2600 non-x couldn't hit 4ghz without locking up. I have a bit of experience overclocking Sandy Bridge as well as on the X-55 platform so I could probably improve on that if I really wanted to. Also I don't seem to have anything installed that does fan control. I thought RyzenMaster did but I guess not.

Nice to have an excuse to own this ridiculous AIO (CoolerMaster ML360-R) other than "It was my birthday, I needed to find something around $200AUD and it was on special".

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The normal MSI app does it, but I installed the dragon one because the normal one won't talk to my Corsair RGB ram and you apparently can't have both. And gently caress having icue installed, I like to be able to reboot without having to kill the loving process every time.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The concept of even being able to emulate a current gen (even Nintendo) system is insane to me. My emulation box is a HP SFF desktop with a Haswell 4770, and it struggles to do PS2 stuff, can't handle WiiU and occasionally struggles with N64 games.

I feel like grabbing a second hand WiiU and homebrewing it is gonna be a better option than trying to emulate more recent Nintendo stuff, given that a heap of switch launch titles were apparently ported straight from that system anyway?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Not specifically an AMD question, but I'm looking to grab another 16gb of RAM before EOFY as a WFH tax write off. Currently have 2 sticks of Vengeance Pro 3200 CL16, so I was looking at grabbing another 2x8 kit of the same - but the 3600 CL18 seems to be more readily available with faster shipping etc for around the same price.

As I understand it, it's probably the same RAM with different clock speed and timings and maybe a higher bin on clock speed on the 3600, and I would probably be able to manually set the timings in Bios to have it run at the same timings as the CL16, and possibly vice versa, but I do like being able to just enable XMP and go. My current ram has two different XMP profiles if I recall, but Corsair don't seem to advertise them anywhere.

I have an MSI Mortar-M B550 board and a Ryzen 5600 with a GTX980 so there's basically not gonna be a noticable performance difference either way, just looking for a recommendation on whether I should wait longer and get the exact same RAM, or get the 3600 and either downclock it with the same timings as the 3200, or OC the 3200 a bit?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The best rule of thumb is to have exactly matched RAM, but downclocking the 3600 to match the 3200 would probably work. Personally I would do my damnedest to get exactly matched RAM.

Thanks for this. I grabbed the 3200mhz stuff, hopefully it arrives before June bloody 15th given that it's shipping from Amazon AU.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

orcane posted:

Good decision IMO.

I'm assuming Corsair mostly sources memory chips from whatever supplier costs the least to hit MT/s, CL and XMP/AMD optimization now, even for middling Vengeance sticks (unlike the high-end stuff where they have to use the same top performers as everyone else).

Corsair has this reputation for their LPX sticks already, they come in a million different versions and the only common feature is (mostly) hitting the advertised clocks and latency on specified platforms. Even if someone had V4.20 that ran perfectly and even overclocked a little, there's zero guarantee a V8.69 DIMM would overclock the same or even run at XMP together with the older sticks of the same rating. Running different versions of different speed/latency kits might work for 90% of people but if it doesn't work for you, have fun and good luck!

Yeah when I built this system originally I used LPX 3200 C16, and it went bad in about 6 months. At that point it was a pretty typical goonbox with the understated MSI Tomahawk mobo (with the RGB LEDs set to steady red or off), the stock 2600 cooler and a mix of black and noctua brown fans. No RGB. Hadn't touched the stuff since the days when Antec cases shipped with tricolor fans. The LPX ended up getting caught up in an RMA battle with the fair trade ombudsman, so I grabbed the only other 3200mhz ram I could get at the time - the Vengeance Pro RGB stuff. Zen2 had just dropped, 3600CL18 was the new hotness, but because Zen+ had some issues with higher clocked memory iirc, I wanted to stay with what worked.

3 months later I had a 360mm coolermaster RGB AIO in there and since then, I've been fighting against the urge to replace the rest of my system fans, add some ARGB strips and swap out the gross corsair RM power supply leads with pretty ones. It's a bug that bites hard.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
This does sound like some windows power profile fuckery. I would maybe reset/update the BIOS to eliminate that and make sure your windows power profile is set to something other than performance.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Is that 4.5 all-core though? Keep in mind it's holding 4.3 on 8 drat cores while having the absolute piss kicked out of it under prime95, unless you've told it to use a single thread or something, and wearing a big chunk of 3D NAND as a blanket :p

Given that the X3D's magic trick is its gigantic cache, does the performance benefit of that actually scale with clock speed? I imagine that the frequency of read/write operations would be tied to the CPU clock, and fast memory being faster = more good?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I tried to update my B450 tomahawk to the latest bios with the new AGESA version and it wouldn't even post. As soon as I went back to the 2020 release it booted up fine. My B550 Mortar seems fine on the latest version though, so perhaps MSI just hosed that one up. I'm only running a 2600 in the older board so no harm no foul I guess.

Least bios flashback still worked.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
What was it that the Cyrix 6x86 was missing, the FPU or the L2 cache? I remember there being a really critical bit of architecture missing vs the Pentiums they are trying to compete against?

Until the Pentiums with MMX came out and absolutely murdered them.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't know how much we should trust this as I've become quite skeptical of the source (greymon55), but the results would be surprising if true: https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-7700x-7600x-rumored-cinebench-r23-scores-are-in

It suggests a much larger single-threaded cinebench score than expected and a much lower multi-threaded score than expected. I thought the idea was that these CPUs would not have much IPC gains but they'd be able to achieve much higher all-core boost clocks.

I guess it's feasible that you would see that sort of result if they run hotter than expected, enough that the test unit wasn't able to sustain the max boost clocks on all core loads without throttling, but managed well enough on single core?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Given almost everyone in this thread either had, has, or knows someone that ran a sandy bridge at four and a half GHz or higher for a decade or more with the only limit on lifespan being the eventual scarcity of Z67/77 boards to drive them, I feel like modern CPUs have been over-engineered to last well beyond their expected life span even when operated at frequencies/temps far beyond manufacturer specifications. I don't recall having a CPU quit on me since sometime before the Pentium 4s, even then I had Slot 1 P2s and 3s running overclocked in lovely cases with one or two 80mm fans and probably stock coolers for years before that.

My Prescott P4 ran hot in Australian summers even at stock clocks and shut down on me due to overtemps more than a few times, and I'm pretty sure it outlasted 3 mainboards and ended up going in the trash with the last one while still working. I've got an i7 950 in the shed that hits 86c on a mild oc and not much less at stock with stock cooling in the shed that still boots and will pass a stress test every time, despite being well past it's functional used by date. I'm fairly comfortable with the idea that AMD are just running these things closer to the edge, at no real risk to reasonable lifespan based on those experiences.

YMMV, but modern CPUs seem really drat hard to kill.

E: Actually makes me wonder if they left performance on the table with Zen 2/3 that will never be realised, as tweaking their thermal throttling behaviour with an AGESA/bios update or similar would probably lower the value proposition of Zen 4 even further.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 9, 2022

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Blurb3947 posted:

I just upgraded to the 5600 from a 1600af and general performance is noticeably better across the board. I didn't expect the old CPU to be a bottleneck but loading especially seems quicker for everything.

I couldn't get over how noticeable the change was when jumping from a 2600 to a 5600, particularly in terms of just general day-to-day stuff like browsing and opening desktop apps, which I had assumed would be bottlenecked by memory or storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I grabbed a 5700x on sale this weekend so I could throw my 5600 into a new build for my girlfriend who's laptop just randomly died.

I chucked some DDR4 I had in a spare machine my kid uses occasionally in there, but need to replace that at some point, and was considering grabbing something faster than the cheap 32gb 3200 kit I have in my PC and passing that on to her too.

The TridentZ Neo 3600 kit seems pretty heavily recommended, but I'm wondering if there's anything quicker I should be looking at, as I plan on sticking with this 5700X setup for another year or two at least. DDR4 being cheap atm, it might be a good time to snap up something higher-end. I know conventional wisdom used to be that 3600 was the sweet spot for Zen 3, but my experience in the past has been that older platforms can get a big late-life boost from tricked out RAM...