Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

rex rabidorum vires posted:

My brother upgraded to a FX 8350 from a 5 year old Intel system because....cheap? I think he fell into the core trap with it. That said he likes it and has a R9 390 and can run BF1 well enough that he doesn't care. I'm still on a Phenom II x4 system and really feeling it in terms of gaming. Elite runs, but going to planets can lead to single digit FPS and while I can "run" BF1 I wouldn't exactly call it playable. Really think the R5 is currently the way to go. While memory seems to be a bit of a pain, on a B350 board the most you're going to hit is 3200 anyways so meh. In addition, with the AM4 platform you have a pretty obvious upgrade path even with a B350...which for better or worse I didn't get an AM3+ socket 6 years ago when I built this thing otherwise yeah I'd probably Bulldozer it up.

5 year old Intel could mean Sandy or possibly Ivy. Unless we're talking dual cores, they would be better than Bulldozer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

Weird strategy to release the mid tier first.

They thought that was such a great strategy, they did it twice.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Kilson posted:

Are those wooden fans (edit: casings)? I imagine it's some kind of stupid audiophile equipment :v:

They look like normal enough Noctuas to me...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Is AMD managing to go from CPU = BAD and GPU = GOOD to vice versa in one generation?

That's definitely a summary of current events, yes

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Suddenly many core chips are uncool if they're from AMD, but an object of lust if they're from Intel, and the inter-core latency of AMD's solution is given an enormous amount of weight even though it's found to be a minor issue at worst in a handful of situations, and in others it's simply not a problem.

These new AMD chips are offering ECC RAM, a ton of cores and tons of PCIe lanes, no doubt at a price Intel won't want to compete with. What the hell is there to really complain about?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

:lol: gaming doesn't need ECC, why would you even suggest that?

I'm not talking in relation to gaming at all, I'm just saying it's a nice bonus for other uses

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Then I think you didn't read the quote you were responding to. Here's the excerpt that redeyes found fault with:

OK, I guess I was just making a slightly disjointed comment then, never mind

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Such a stark contrast from the GPU goings-on. AMD is truly back in the game with those prices.

We've been saying Intel needed competition for ages; they finally have it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Col.Kiwi posted:

That is simply not correct.

I gave some examples that apply to millions upon millions of PC users including many who post on this forum so rather than beat a dead horse I'll leave it at that.

Nah, most games these days will use more than 2 cores, and background tasks will always be chewing up CPU time.

The reality is that if you're simply comparing raw FPS in a few single threaded games, then you might have a point, but that's completely meaningless. The entire rest of the experience when using the machine will be immeasurably better. Not to mention the fact the 1700 has way more cache, which will help in minimum frame times anyway. The clocks and IPC are otherwise fairly similar.

There's basically almost no scenario in which one would genuinely want the i3, and if your computing load is so light that i3 could possibly beat out the 1700, then you're not the sort of person looking at an upgrade anyway.

vv I didn't make any hard claims with numbers. Is this really worth our time? Not to mention the 1700 can be overclocked to ~3.9GHz making it much more compelling all round.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 11, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Malloc Voidstar posted:

204,772% (22.5 seconds to 11 milliseconds lmao)

Unreal. FineWine™ in action. No, but really, is that kind of optimisation in a shipping product really heard of? That's incredible.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

ZBrush is a general shitshow.

I mean, it's UI looks like it's from a 90's MOD tracker running on DOS.

You make it sound attractive.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

They still get quite toasty at 3.8.

I'd still get a noctua personally. They use dark magic in the fans.

Yep. My case is full of those classy chocolate and tan motherfuckers.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

The restructured L3 cache is hurting Skylake-X relative to Kaby Lake in gaming too, the 7800X just matches the Ryzen 5 1600 at almost double the price. At that's with the overclock that caused what you see in the photo above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfNMn7RWgLw&t=1160s

This also kills the idea that Skylake-X is a "premium" gaming choice. Even at 700 MHz more and a much higher price, Skylake-X fails to impress over Ryzen...

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 23, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

NewFatMike posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who unironically loves this packaging because like the entire Zen lineup it's totally over the top.

Yep. I like it. Screw it, AMD is going for an over-the-top vaguely retro marketing feel, and I'm for it. If they have a great product, that's all that matters.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 24, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

PerrineClostermann posted:

Christ tell me about it. I knew they did some poo poo, but not on this long and pervasive a level.

I love the part where Dell's revenue was mostly from Intel's bribes.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Huh, a binned EPYC. Surely this is kind of expensive to make.

Edit: He suggests AMD says only 2 of the dies are used. Why on earth would you bother to put two extra dies on the thing that will never be used? That has nothing to do with binning, unless they're not testing the dies until they're already on a package, and they only make EPYC packages. Is this industry practice? I have no idea.

Now the rumours of unlocking the other dies will start.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 27, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

wargames posted:

cheaper then throwing it away something makes it so you can't split up epyc?

Yeah, of course it's better than throwing away a failed EPYC, I just figured the dies would be tested before sticking 4 of them on a substrate, but now I think about it, how the hell would you? Eh, I'm not a microprocessor production expert guy.

Still, exciting times. Threadripper is looking to be more and more compelling.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Considering they test chips before they leave the wafer...

See, that's what I assumed, so none of this makes sense, unless they're failed dies put in place just to keep the heatspreader level or something weird.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

eames posted:

Der8auer's delidding videos were taken offline at the request of AMD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbffGyrkjMM

This makes no sense. If it's an engineering sample, just say it. If not, any joe could find out after the release anyway...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

(Over the last few years I've just gotten loving sick of link rot. All but a handful of my early Youtube favorites are now gone forever, it just shows "video removed". gently caress that poo poo. Also, being able to use a local media player instead of Youtube's web interface is way nicer and saves on your data cap if you need to seek around a lot.)

I absolutely 100% understand this.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Alpha Man posted:

The MSI video is still up, and they don't slather the paste and squeegee it all over the mobo: https://youtu.be/Z1j3S6MKB_E

That's a pretty interesting and fun retention mechanism. Nice.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

ufarn posted:

Can anyone explain to a dweeb like me why Intel are using iGPUs and AMD aren't and what the pipelines for both are? Intel keep fumbling, and I'm a bit worried about Coffee Lake, but I also like the eventual Adaptive Sync support that a modern iGPU might support.

AMD does use iGPUs, they call those chips APUs. They released previous-gen ones a while ago, you can now buy them retail, and they do support Freesync. However, there are no Ryzen based ones available yet. I'd definitely wait for Ryzen based APUs.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 2, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

FaustianQ posted:

Zen2 is most assuredly going to be AM4, and will likely be very worth it

If they could reach an out-of-the-box 4 core turbo of 4.5GHz or so with their existing architecture on a new process node, it would be a pretty decisive win. It doesn't even seem that far off.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Shame the Ryzen system is hobbled with slow RAM... AMD really needs to tweak the architecture in this regard.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Generic Monk posted:

local leftist political party

Don't think that would make me feel better..

But yes, testing a 16 core CPU paired with suboptimal RAM on gaming workloads isn't much more than a curiosity; we're balls deep in diminishing returns, or indeed regression.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 6, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

bobfather posted:

I'm surprised they labeled the bars. Outs it as a sham graph pretty easily. I work with data on a daily basis and laypeople's eyes glaze over when they're asked to interpret an X or Y axis.

So what you're saying is we need to make graphs in the third dimension, because people only concentrate on the Z axis...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Volguus posted:

At the time (early 2000s) Itanium looked like the platform that will free us from the clutches of x86, with all its hacks and band-aids upon hacks and band-aids that it received over its long history. Alas, it wasnt meant to be.

It really didn't. I remember talking to a friend back then and betting ARM would become the next big architecture, even on the desktop, but I never saw the demise of x86, it's just too deeply embedded. It's.. kind of come true. At least ARM is far more successful than Itanium.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Now that's just nice

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ryzen XP

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Hell, if they fix a few of the issues, decouple the Infinity Fabric from RAM speed and get the clocks up a touch, I don't care what they call it, it will be fantastic

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

eames posted:

some models like the 1800X seem pretty niche now that the 8700K has way higher singlethread and equal multithread performance. The only USP is ECC RAM but people building a workstation will probably get 1900X.

Main thing left is PCIe lanes

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't know understand what's going on in that photo... maybe it's because my brain is trying to preserve my sanity.

The socket is half full of pins.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Kerbtree posted:

What's the thermal conductivity coefficient of Chinesium?

If it's a shim, why would that matter?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I know, you just never get that 15 minutes back.

I envy your workflow if a clean install of Windows will do everything you need.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

So the point of the VM is to have the DRM implemented in an unknown instruction set, so that it can't be easily reverse engineered?

http://vmpsoft.com/
Pretty much:

VMProtect posted:

VMProtect protects code by executing it on a virtual machine with non-standard architecture

It can do this over and over:

VMProtect posted:

Each time you protect the application, VMProtect generates a completely different set of virtual machines, so even if a cracker finally understand an architecture of the particular virtual machine, he has to start from the very beginning for the second protected procedure of the same file.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I think Zen+ being a small bump is actually compelling. That's all AMD needs to be back in the game and compete with Coffee Lake.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Those "leaks" seem like horseshit, but if they were true, everyone would be rushing out to buy one.
8700K would seem like a plaything even with slightly better single thread perfomance, especially with a 5.1GHz stock boost.

But I'm pretty sure someone has just scribbled out their fantasties, keeping them just on the edge of possibility, and then spread them around.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

repiv posted:

that "leak" is a month old /r/ayymd shitpost lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/AyyMD/comments/79aiwh/ryzen_2

Not that that was a surprise

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Yeah, I enjoyed that one too

Xae posted:

I'm a little skeptical because the GPU market is about 15M units/year.

The discrete desktop GPU market anyway.

To be fair, it could be the core architecture of a very popular GPU as opposed to a specific SKU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

NewFatMike posted:

R5 2600 spotted posting 3.6-3.8GHz vs the current 1600's 3.2-3.4. Hopefully production samples will be able to break 4GHz on boost.

E: WCCFTech salt now, salty later, etc

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccfte...hero-x470-leak/

200MHz more at the same TDP isn't exactly getting me excited, but I guess it's a start