Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Has anyone had trouble with getting an AMD RAID array to show up in Linux? I have an Aorus Pro X570 with a single RAID 10 array set up, however Centos 8 is not picking up the array - it only sees the disks directly.

I had it running fine on F33h, however after upgrading to F34 the array was invalidated or corrupted (unfortunate, but all the data was backed up anyway), so I removed and recreated it. However, the new array is not picked up by mdadm even after scanning for it. Not many results online for this situation - most seem to recommend using rcraid instead, but the drivers appear to be significantly out of date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

SamDabbers posted:

Any particular reason you're using the UEFI-configured RAID rather than plain Linux md?

No strong reason - I thought that AMD RAID may offer an advantage over software RAID, but if that's not the case then I'll go with mdadm.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Am I reading the bottom table correctly in that the TRX50 will support both non-Pro (X) and Pro (WX) processors i.e TRX50 and WRX90 are socket compatible?

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Kibner posted:

The non-Pro boards support both Pro and non-Pro CPUs.

The Pro boards only support Pro CPUs.

That's good news then - the processor incompatibilities between TR4, sTRX4 and sWRX8 hurt any idea of longterm investment in the threadripper platform.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

What are the concerns re: current AM5 boards? I'm looking to put together a 7950x3d system within the next couple of weeks - I know that the 8000-series CPUs are coming sometime in 2024 but if there is a major reason to wait until that release to pick up an AM5 mobo then I'll reconsider

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Is 6000 CL30 still the sweet spot for AM5 or is it worth going higher speed? I was planning on pairing the 7950x3d with the MSI MPG Carbon Wifi board plus Corsair Vengeance 2x 48GB 6000CL30. The board states it can run 1 stick per channel at 6000+, I haven't checked the compatibility list for this specific RAM as the table on the MSI website is garbage for searchability on mobile.

Bjork Bjowlob fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 21, 2023

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Seems like the 7000 series accept a small undervolt fairly well, so it could be worth investigating that. Here's a guide I'm planning to follow when I've finished putting together my next AMD 7000 system.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Kibner posted:

Doing an undervolt would go against their desire for a more stable system over a small performance or efficiency gain.

Fair, Tom's Hardware found only a few percent gain in performance for this processor after undervolting and applying PBO, so while they didn't find any stability issues at a low UV (-10) it's likely not worth it for this use case. I was planning to run my system continuously so I'm focused on ekeing out any efficiency gains I can.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

EU goons - any idea what might be behind the recent price hikes on the 7950X3D? I was initially thinking Christmas demand but it hasn't cooled off. I'm hoping that it goes back sub 600EUR in early Jan but perhaps there's other factors forcing it upwards for a while.

Other CPUs in the same generation don't seem to be affected by the recent changes. There's an Avatar bundle currently running until end December but I don't think that's causing it.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Houthis probably. A lot of stuff recently got rerouted from Suez canal to all the way around Africa. It's made a bunch of stuff more expensive

Ah, the sex arses conundrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

The MSI MPG X670E Carbon Wifi could be another option, it will do x8/x8/x4 with the first two x8s at PCIe 5.0. I've been using this board populated with a 3080 in the first slot, P420 SAS controller in the second, and a X520 2x 10Gb NIC in the third without any issues so far.