Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The Dennis System posted:

Did this really happen? Oh, Jesus.

Well, Wil Wheaton gets a mention as a revered figure in the book, so it makes sense! Pretty cool if you ask me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
but seriously imagine president cory doctorow

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The Dennis System posted:

Did this really happen? Oh, Jesus.

Oh yes, and the man cannot do voices so every character has the exact same Wheatonesque inflection. Which I am glad I used an Audible credit for 15 hours of my life.

Jimby Nougats
May 6, 2009

I like Ernest Goes to Jail a lot, ERnest Cline not so much

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Groovelord Neato posted:

jaws is a top 10 film of all time.

That's all Benchley's doing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the book is a lot worse than the movie. it and the godfather are the go-tos for "movie adaptation that was way better than the book".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sorry I can't pretend there's anything good about that garbage book. I was so happy Audible has a return feature.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I had this book recommended to me by a (now ex) girlfriend and a good friend who is a lawyer. I got to the part where there was some line-for-line reference to an Oingo Boingo music video (this is about ten pages in IIRC) and dropped the book like the hot piece of poo poo it was. It was so bad I lost a ton of respect for my gf and my friend because they REALLY liked it and KNEW I would like it as a nerd.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I loved this book because the hideous nostalgic onanistic garbage world reminds me of our own.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Talk about balls!

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

rideANDxORdie posted:

I had this book recommended to me by a (now ex) girlfriend and a good friend who is a lawyer. I got to the part where there was some line-for-line reference to an Oingo Boingo music video (this is about ten pages in IIRC) and dropped the book like the hot piece of poo poo it was. It was so bad I lost a ton of respect for my gf and my friend because they REALLY liked it and KNEW I would like it as a nerd.

This post does not fit well with the theme of the thread :colbert:

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

Groovelord Neato posted:

think of all the great writers that can't get poo poo published and this rear end in a top hat has two best selling books and one of the greatest directors ever is adapting his trash pages.

Even worse, consider the fact that he panders to SV techlord types with high-paying jobs and disproportionate cultural and social influence :stare: :coffee:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

is this the girl who wrote the heart is deceitful above all things?

realtalk, the JT LeRoy hoax is one of my favorite "celebrities are stupid" stories

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I sat through an audiobook of this garbage poo poo and I kept hoping the main character was going to get owned for being a massive nerd and there would be a lesson on not basing your identity on consumerist bullshit but really I just got mega owned for listening to wil wheaton for multiple hours

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

As long as I didn't apply a lot of critical thinking to it, the nostalgia and "OH MY GOD WOULDN'T IT BE COOL IF..." ride was alright. :shrug:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
a world where everyone endlessly picks over minutiae of eighties nerd bullshit and never creates anything new or original at all sounds perfect to me and not like a grotesque hellscape at all, no sir

(seriously i thought that was the point of the book but then i googled ernest cline and guess what, it isn't)

e: oh, and having the climax of the entire book being the main character reciting the script to monty python and the holy grail verbatim was great, can't wait to see what spielberg does with that

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 19, 2017

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Clipperton posted:

a world where everyone endlessly picks over minutiae of eighties nerd bullshit and never creates anything new or original at all sounds perfect to me and not like a grotesque hellscape at all, no sir

(seriously i thought that was the point of the book but then i googled ernest cline and guess what, it isn't)

e: oh, and having the climax of the entire book being the main character reciting the script to monty python and the holy grail verbatim was great, can't wait to see what spielberg does with that

Our only hope is that a direct remake of the scene is not considered fair use and the BBC prevents the movie from being released.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

frogge posted:

As long as I didn't apply a lot of critical thinking to it, the nostalgia and "OH MY GOD WOULDN'T IT BE COOL IF..." ride was alright. :shrug:

Retard.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Someone has mentioned it before, but it's worth keeping in mind that for all the concentrated awfulness of Ready Player One, Cline's second book Armada is worse in every way.

I hate read it so good, and I was not bored. In that way, they can both be considered to be successful pieces of fiction.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

MLIOOBE posted:

I like Ernest Goes to Jail a lot, ERnest Cline not so much

Ernest Cline Goes To Jail (For Writing Bad Books)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

remember that movie with philip seymour hoffman about a guy whose wife dies and he huffs gas because he's depressed. anyhoo phil hoffman's dead much like my interest in Ernest Cline's novel Ready Player One available in paperback by Random House.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
"atari: game over" is a documentary about a hollywood idiot who believes he's located the landfill where atari dumped all those game cartridges they couldn't sell back in the eighties, and sets about excavating it.

ernest cline hears about this, and naturally he wants to watch. so he jumps in his replica of the delorean from back to the future and drives all the way to alamogordo:

unable to convince or bribe anyone to come with him on his nerd road trip, not with all his millions. driving for hours with only a doll for company. on his way to dig up thirty-year-old trash for no purpose whatsoever, a perfect metaphor for his whole career, and not a jot of self-awareness about any of it ever entering his bearded head

that's what i think about when i think about ernest cline

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 19, 2017

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Naw mang sometimes you don't want to read anything deep that's going to give you an existential crisis before you pass out before you have to get up early the next day. It's perfect mindless entertainment.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Troy Queef posted:

realtalk, the JT LeRoy hoax is one of my favorite "celebrities are stupid" stories

yeah it's real loving good.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Clipperton posted:

"atari: game over" is a documentary about a hollywood idiot who believes he's located the landfill where atari dumped all those game cartridges they couldn't sell back in the eighties, and sets about excavating it.

ernest cline hears about this, and naturally he wants to watch. so he jumps in his replica of the delorean from back to the future and drives all the way to alamogordo:

unable to convince or bribe anyone to come with him on his nerd road trip, not with all his millions. driving for hours with only a doll for company. on his way to dig up thirty-year-old trash for no purpose whatsoever, a perfect metaphor for his whole career, and not a jot of self-awareness about any of it ever entering his bearded head

that's what i think about when i think about ernest cline

Don't forget that he wrote this piece of poo poo movie.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

rideANDxORdie posted:

Nerds like references and that book is full of references.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Clipperton posted:

Wait the point isn't that it's a grotesque hellscape five minutes in the future?

Edit where cargo culting the tastes of Silicon Valley overlords is the last hope for a better life

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 19, 2017

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

shovelbum posted:

Edit where cargo culting the tastes of Silicon Valley overlords is the last hope for a better life

Ah, uh, ... well sure, I unironically loved Ernest Cline's "Ready Player One". I particularly liked the bit with the video game [grins hopefully at venture capitalist like a dog]

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
When the hero controls a spaceship like it's a compuiter game, but the spaceship is real: that's my favorite part.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I didn't like the part where Player Two turned out to be a bad guy. I yelled "booooo!" at the book.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I forgot that the hero recited every line in Holy Grail. Christ.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
One of the pages of my copy of the book was just a scanned image of the author's grocery list. Brilliant meta humor!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I loved it when the girl character was hot.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The scene where it is revealed our hero is a master guitarist fit perfectly with what we knew about him up to that point and did not seem like the author was arbitrarily giving him skills.

The scene of the hero being sentenced to work in tech support was brilliant satire.

A novel set in a dystopian America where society has collapsed to the point where travel between cities is plagued by bandits should have a resolution where the villain is arrested and has reason to fear civil authorities, as his unlimited wealth and influence would in no way stop a fair trial.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

shovelbum posted:

Wait the point isn't that it's a grotesque hellscape five minutes in the future?

it's absolutely that, it's just that cline sees it as totally awesome instead of nightmarish. read any blog post by the guy, he's sick in the head. also the quotes in the front of the book are all like:

john scalzi posted:

Imagine that Dungeons and Dragons and an '80s video arcade made hot, sweet love, and their child was raised in Azeroth. If you're not already experiencing a nerdgasm at the thought, I don't want to know you.

which is apparently supposed to make me buy the book instead of break out in hives. like serak said, it would be great if spielberg did a starship troopers and parodied the gently caress out of the nostalgia-nerd mindset, but cline wrote the screenplay so good luck with that

anyway that's what i would say if i didn't unironically like ready player one. my favourite part was where the hero goes to an 80s dance party in a back to the future delorean with knight rider lights on the front and ghostbusters logos

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The amount of published, semi-respected authors who praised the book will always astound me. It's literally a book that will have no literary or popular merit within 10 years as all of the references are completely beyond the understanding of anyone under the age of 30.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
i blame the city of austin for allowing the author to win poetry slam contests and i hold this as evidence of why hipsters shouldnt be allowed to win anything, not even a participants ribbon

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

When I hear the words "gamer culture", I reach for my nugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

The amount of published, semi-respected authors who praised the book will always astound me. It's literally a book that will have no literary or popular merit within 10 years as all of the references are completely beyond the understanding of anyone under the age of 30.

we're stalled in 80s nostalgia dawg they rereleased the NES the bar arcades are huge business

• Locked thread