Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Poniard posted:

I sat through an audiobook of this garbage poo poo and I kept hoping the main character was going to get owned for being a massive nerd and there would be a lesson on not basing your identity on consumerist bullshit but really I just got mega owned for listening to wil wheaton for multiple hours
I want to write this novel now. Like, 200 pages of fawning over The Epic Fandom Nerd References Good Sir, Because We Are Gamer Geeks Who Preorder Collector's Editions For The Win and then the last couple pages are just "look at yourself you loving idiot. go outside"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
i liked the part where there was a problem, but the protagonist solved it by solely by having an encyclopedic knowledge of 80s pop culture. I also liked the second part where that's exactly what happened. and the third, fourth, and fifth times.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I liked the part where the tree man said I Am Groot

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

HAT FETISH posted:

I liked the part where the tree man said I Am Groot

It gets funnier each time!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

shovelbum posted:

we're stalled in 80s nostalgia dawg they rereleased the NES the bar arcades are huge business

Only for a while. Remember that if you were born from 75-85 you're probably at peak disposable income/and more likely to spend money like a dumbass to recreate your youth. We are turning into dad. Eventually this will pass and there will be nostalgia for whatever poo poo kids like today.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Oscar Wild posted:

Only for a while. Remember that if you were born from 75-85 you're probably at peak disposable income/and more likely to spend money like a dumbass to recreate your youth. We are turning into dad. Eventually this will pass and there will be nostalgia for whatever poo poo kids like today.

That makes sense I was born in 87 so the ppl before and after me have probably much higher odds to be tastemakers (rich 20 years down the line from childhood) than my broke graduating college into 2008 generation

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

shovelbum posted:

we're stalled in 80s nostalgia dawg they rereleased the NES the bar arcades are huge business

its cause what else do you move on from? the rose colored googles people think are 80's nostalgia is stuff that mostly didn't even exist before like 1988 and cultural trends that stretched way into the 90s. most of the stuff that's '90's' is either clearly a progenitor to current trends or so hilariously dated you wouldn't try to appeal to it. signifiers of era like clothing trends in so far as what regular rear end people wear hasn't changed significantly in the last thirty years.

the internet misdirected people's attention away from the mass media crucible that the last sixty years of american culture was formed in. except nowadays its like half dead and the out of touch market execs are desperately trying to appeal to the last period of time where their understanding of the world is still relevant. people will follow market trends so don't think that whatever passes for 80s nostalgia is actually what people pine for beyond the illusory sense of fufillment in consumerism

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

I was already tricked into reading the nerd favorite Wool by Hugh Howey (a bad book)

Never again

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Scalzi praised the book? Ugh, the Wheaton/Scalzi endorsement should be a kiss of death for any form of entertainment. Looking at you, Welcome to Night Vale book.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Whil Weaton liked it and narrated it! Wow, sign me up!

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Having missed the spirit of the "ITT" portion of the thread (I saw the title of the book in the thread title and went straight to hateposting) I would like to submit this as well:

I LOVE when Family Guy (so random, lol) does weird line-for-line renditions of scenes and songs without any jokes in it. Just a weird lifeless recitation of a thing that exists. Reading Ready Player One was like that but a little less funny (but still random, so lol). AS A GAMER, this is what makes me laugh.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

pentyne posted:

The amount of published, semi-respected authors who praised the book will always astound me. It's literally a book that will have no literary or popular merit within 10 years as all of the references are completely beyond the understanding of anyone under the age of 30.

I disagree, this will become an Ulysses, once the references are forgotten

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I think it's a really good and innovative idea when really bad writers cynically ripoff Ender's Game and Neuromancer too.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I like this book about as much as I enjoyed Name of the Wind by nerd fave Patrick Rthdhsjdfas pls col ambulances no habing strokedx ccv

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

round up everyone who enjoyed this book and lock them in a basement and don't let em out until they've read Hogg and Dhalgren

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
This review of Armada is really great.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2015/07/armada_by_ernest_cline_follow_up_to_ready_player_one_reviewed.single.html

quote:

Armada is a story about how gamers are the most important people in the world. This is not a new story; it's served as the inspiration for countless video games over the past 40 years, not to mention the recent harassment campaigns that spawned out of gaming culture and the wounded, entitled pride at their heart. While the aims of the novel are onanistic rather than malicious, Armada nonetheless demands to be bronzed as the perfect embodiment of the impulses that so often make games—and gaming culture—boring, self-indulgent, and regressive.

quote:

Armada often feels like it's being narrated by that one guy in your group of friends who never stops quoting the Simpsons, a tic that feels increasingly tiresome and off-putting in the face of the novel’s supposedly apocalyptic stakes. On more than one occasion, soldiers salute each other en route to world-ending battles by solemnly swearing that “the Force” will be with them, and one character flies to his supposedly tragic and moving death while screaming quotes from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. This is a book that ends with someone unironically quoting Yoda.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Every time I hear the word onanistic I think of Infinite Jest which is a book worth being insufferable about

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The invitation email had a video that was just like the music video for Dead Man's Party from the 80s.
I flew a starship that was just like the ship from the series Firefly by Joss Whedon, it was named after Kurt Vonnegut one of my favorite writers, in it I had my X-wing fighter from the Star Wars series and my customized Delorean from Back to the Future equipped with the scanner thing from the car KITT from Knight Rider and with the ability to go through solid walls and obstacles like the car from Buckaroo Bonzai starring Peter Weller who also played Robocop both films from the 80s.

Many years ago me and some friends had this video recommended to us by another friend on the grounds that it was hilarious and referenced Star Wars and poo poo. Stupidly we decided to watch it, then realized that 20 minutes had agonizingly gone by and none of had even laughed or smiled once. That movie is a piece of poo poo.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 19, 2017

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
My favorite part was where the main character was rewarded for is regressive and emotionally stunted lifestyle. It's truly an inspirational novel.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

taco_fox posted:

I was already tricked into reading the nerd favorite Wool by Hugh Howey (a bad book)

Never again

I (actually) unironically enjoyed Wool and thought it was at very least much less bad than RP1. The sequels were pretty much poo poo though.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i wish ernest cline still did poetry slams so i could poo poo in his shoes while he sleeps

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

shovelbum posted:

the 80s will outlive us all, it's the most powerful culture zeitgeist, how else do you think Trump got to be president?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Clipperton posted:

a world where everyone endlessly picks over minutiae of eighties nerd bullshit and never creates anything new or original at all sounds perfect to me and not like a grotesque hellscape at all, no sir

(seriously i thought that was the point of the book but then i googled ernest cline and guess what, it isn't)

e: oh, and having the climax of the entire book being the main character reciting the script to monty python and the holy grail verbatim was great, can't wait to see what spielberg does with that

whats up with nerds and monty python

like the humor is entirely based on the subversion of expectations yet the people that drop monty python references betray their lack of understanding of the joke by thinking its appropriate outside of the context it was given

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
also life of brian is secretly the best movie a shame the dvd release has literally the worst audio mastering ever released on a digital format and that isn't hyperbole for the sake of a point it is LITERALLY the worst

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

ready player one by ernest cline but the monty python and the holy grail part is replaced with the part where the monks hit themselves in the face with a tablet and the protagonist must do this repeatedly to win the game

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
This book is terrible and yet it has positively effected more people than you ever will in your entire life and Ernest Cline lives a life of idle wealth and leisurely celebrity because of it. When you put in another 8 hours at a job you hate or settle in for another afternoon of unemployed or disabled self-loathing he's living a life of happiness and comfort you can't even dream of.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

This book is terrible and yet it has positively effected more people than you ever will in your entire life and Ernest Cline lives a life of idle wealth and leisurely celebrity because of it. When you put in another 8 hours at a job you hate or settle in for another afternoon of unemployed or disabled self-loathing he's living a life of happiness and comfort you can't even dream of.

he hangs out at literal garbage dumps with his ET puppet. i could probably manage that if i wanted to

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
My favorite part of Ready Player One are the Japanese characters who are always bowing and talking about how things are and are not 'honorable', referring to people as "*-san" in English and all of whose touchstones for their own culture happen to be things a white american dude would recognize.

Of course your spaceship looks like a Gundam and is name the 'Kurosawa'. Of course it is.

Serak fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 20, 2017

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Books are for dorks but I'm sure the movie will win best picture 2 years in a row.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
An autistic kid really wanted me to read this book. To the point of checking it out for me and putting it in my bag at the library.

That and paying the late fee are my only experiences with this book.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

nigga crab pollock posted:

also life of brian is secretly the best movie a shame the dvd release has literally the worst audio mastering ever released on a digital format and that isn't hyperbole for the sake of a point it is LITERALLY the worst

Worse than the audio for Primer?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Because I don't think Primer would be considered such a confusing movie if the dialogue and narration were audible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

I'm sure the book sucks, but that review is not good. It's just a spastic reaction to gamergate.

• Locked thread