Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hello NMD, today I would like to talk to you about the Barenaked Ladies. Those of you that are smart and have taste already know about them, and the fact that they are amazing and can do no wrong (unless they're Ed). Warning, to the uninitiated -- the Barenaked Ladies have a lot of songs that are very good, but most of them are by founding member and former frontman Steven Page, and none of them are the ones I linked in that parenthetical, so you probably shouldn't click on those.

Some of the rest of you might not be aware of how good the Barenaked Ladies, and in particular ex-lady Steven Page, are, and so I'm here entirely of my own free will to tell you about a really excellent and underappreciated group that technically doesn't exist anymore. I'll contain the next comment to a single sentence: The BNL debut album, Gordon, was what would prove to be a trademark blend of light-hearted humor, self-deprecatory satire, and a sense of genuine introspection. Unfortunately (perhaps), it was the jocular nature of the band that caught fire with the public, and so the poor souls who bear fond feelings towards BNL are forever met with "really? the joke band?"

Despite the depth the aforementioned amazing and do-no-wrong Page lent to the band in the form of his struggles with addiction and mental illness, BNL had the odds against it from the start, given that Ed was like "hell yes, a fake joke name is perfect for my new musical group!". If you clicked the BNL wikipedia link earlier, you don't have to worry about following that one. It's the bit about Ed abruptly calling the group the Barenaked Ladies and Steven not being on board. Well, Steven regardless continued to produce songs that were as pithy as they were insightful, and managed to keep the group floating along as somewhat more than a flash in the pan. I am not at all biased, nor am I an enormous fan of Steven Page himself. Shame on you for thinking such. You can click on all the links in this paragraph. The joke name and pan-flashes are not good though.

Ed did some good stuff too, and much of it leaned on his own fights with depression. He's relatable too, I guess, and often has a smart turn of phrase, but his lyrics are just... lazy, sometimes. Come on man. Give it more than ten seconds' thought. Surely you don't need to rhyme "sticks and stones" with "mobile phones." Also you're the worst and ruined everything, I wish Steven were still in the band.

I've run out of narrative, here are a bunch more BNL songs that I like, and most of them are from Steven probably.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rseecmTF_Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJO931kbicI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLOxRHV35Ic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoFMRXlNJ6Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs3xXlXSOKk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I respect your incorrect opinion, friend

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

all-Rush mixtape posted:

The fact that 'Maybe You're Right' hasn't been used in a movie's climax is a crime.

DC Murderverse posted:

Favorite Barenaked Ladies fact: Paul McCartney is a fan, to the point where he said "Their harmonies are right on. They could outsing us any day of the week. I don’t think John and myself ever had the sort of range they do."

This song and this quote are both things I meant to include in the OP and didn't. Thanks friends :c00lbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYrfl_HpZpc

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Here's another song I forgot to put in the OP, from Born On A Pirate Ship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUt-wGmklWI

I think Pirate Ship is my favorite studio album, Everything to Everyone was a really strong contender but Another Postcard just... really torpedoed that whole thing. Thoughts?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

DC Murderverse posted:

Everything to Everyone is a bunch of lame songs with a few truly great songs (For You, War on Drugs, Have You Seen My Love?).

I like quite a few of the songs on EtE but looking back over the tracklist you're not wrong, there are several really poor showings. I totally forgot that Shopping was on this album because I removed it from my iTunes list :lol:

The only Pirate Ship song I usually skip is In The Drink, less due to dislike and more that it's just very... meh.

Break Your Heart is one of my absolute favorites, and I like Straw Hat a lot too. "I'll catch you, spread my tiny wings and fly away" is a really :3: mental image to me despite the context and being in the middle of a song about a delusional murderous stalker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHT-7rMJ5WI

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah I gotta admit I put your

DC Murderverse posted:

I can listen to [Maroon] without skipping
theory to the test tonight and it checks out. I hadn't visited this album for a couple years, thanks pals :fyadride:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Okay BNL friends I have a question for you. Here's It's Only Me, from the greatest hits album, in case you hadn't heard it recently --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3woCrJgJebU

I am pretty sure it is just about being a narcissist but I also know a person that thinks it is about masturbation?? :confused: Please advise.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well now I think it's about masturbation...

YOU'RE WELCOME

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hedrigall posted:

Okay now let's talk rare b-sides. How many of you have heard Powder Blue? It was a Stunt era b-side I think, and it's one of their absolute best songs.

Edit: sorry, Maroon era. Here:

https://youtu.be/XW006QIYMzA

Mmmm, that's the good stuff.

Re: Maroon: I've found that it's great for putting on for long drives etc where I don't want to be fussing around skipping tracks or suffering through something like "I Know," but it doesn't have any real stand-out songs for me. Which is weird because it's like 95% Steven but the world is a mystery :shrug:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Honestly I literally don't understand why I don't like it as much as all of you guys do. It's clearly something wrong with me :ohdear:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tonight I went to my FIRST EVER karaoke session and the only people there were the staff and my friends and me so we all got really weird with it. It was super fun but also INCREDIBLY EMBARRASSING and I discovered that when your choices of BNL tunes are not available on youtube in karaoke edition you really shouldn't settle for Brian Wilson, it's only upbeat by Steven standards and also not in your key.

Props to random equally awful dude who showed up out of nowhere and duoed with me after I started getting embarrassed

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hedrigall posted:

Okay now let's talk rare b-sides. How many of you have heard Powder Blue? It was a Stunt era b-side I think, and it's one of their absolute best songs.

Edit: sorry, Maroon era. Here:

https://youtu.be/XW006QIYMzA

Hi BNL thread, here's a reminder that this song exists, because I remembered it tonight and it's extremely good :) Why isn't this on the actual album again?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Edward Mass posted:

Disc One was released after Maroon, and includes Pinch Me on it. That being said, here's my list of 20 songs I like released since Disc One:

Celebrity
Another Postcard
Shopping
Testing 1, 2, 3
Adrift
Bank Job
Easy
Wind It Up
Something You'll Never Find
Quality
Four Seconds
Every Subway Car
How Long
Boomerang
Odds Are
Get Back Up
Hold My Hand
Silverball
Canada Dry
Bag of Bones

I can't comment on the post-Steven albums but from EtE you're missing Upside Down and Unfinished at the very least :colbert:
For You and War on Drugs as well but they are probably both too depressing for a greatest hits album.

Maybe You're Right and Sound of Your Voice from Are Me should be on there too.

I nominate we cut Another Postcard and Shopping. You madman.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Diet Poison posted:

Excuse me, but do you know where the Brian Street Theatre is?

Anyone heard the new Steven Page album yet? I actually really liked All in Good Time and Page One but neither Steve nor the other guys were able to maintain that level.

I think I really like it, actually. It's not the quality I would have expected from him ten years ago but I mean, ten years is a long time. I prefer it to Instinct for sure.

Also I have tickets to see him at the end of the month I'VE ONLY BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MOMENT FOR FIFTEEN YEARS, gently caress

e: I should add that -- credit where it's due -- the track Feelgood Summer feels shockingly close to vintage Page. And gently caress yes, that operatic comment, BonoMan. Steven's voice when he's really feeling it just does something super primal for me I've yet to get from another singer.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 10, 2018

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

oh 👏 my 👏 god 👏 you 👏 guys

It was amazing. I am amazed. Oh my god. His voice is unbefuckinglievable in person and he is SO loving NICE I nearly died.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

zakharov posted:

Steve's solo shows are incredible though.

Seriously. You can tell how much he loves singing and man is he good at it. Semi-relatedly, he's been doing weekly "Live From Home" shows since a bit after the pandemic started, and while virtual shows aren't really my thing I'm still on his LFH mailing list so I see the odd gif or whatever. He looks super happy these days, it's really cool.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 15, 2022

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Listening to Maroon all the way through for the first time in years. It's great stuff

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Re: Maroon: I've found that it's great for putting on for long drives etc where I don't want to be fussing around skipping tracks or suffering through something like "I Know," but it doesn't have any real stand-out songs for me. Which is weird because it's like 95% Steven but the world is a mystery :shrug:

you'll come around, past me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Cemetry Gator posted:

It’s especially great for long drives when Tonight is the Night I Fell Asleep at the Wheel comes on.

I’m not allowed to pick the music for road trips anymore.

:lmao: I can understand a passenger becoming disconcerted by this, yes.