Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Benten is obviously and most certainly out for herself.

Doesn't mean she only cares about herself though. She just cares about herself the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Benten is a force of nature.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding capricious characters (or people in general, really), I feel it makes more sense to judge people by the bad things they do than the good things. Like, no matter how much good a person does, if he also does terribly evil things for no reason that makes him evil. It's not like things balance out if you give to charity after knifing someone in a dark alley.

All this being said, I don't really mind the show's approach to these topics. The fact that I personally disagree with the way it seems to be portraying some of the characters doesn't mean I don't still find it interesting. It would be a much more boring show if it was just about the tanukis getting together and loving up the Friday Fellows.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Obviously if this was real life Benten would be going to jail for a long time but I think the story really wants us to inhabit the headspace of Yasubaru in particular, in which case Benten should be regarded with not man-morality but kinda god-morality. Like Zeus has killed loads of people for dubious reasons and eaten his own daughter and raped lots of women and he's still sorta the good guy because he is above normal morality somehow and helps the hero and abides by promises. Similarly the Friday Fellows thing is more like a religion with human sacrifice - you might individually not want to be the guy on the chopping block but everyone recognises that it just happens and it's not the domain of normal people to question why it happens.

Also the head of the Friday Fellows might actually BE a god so things get complicated.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The show has a sorta detached view from morality I guess. It's not something the show's interested in addressing. I kinda enjoy it. It's interesting.

You know, I was noticing that too. It's definitely an interesting direction to take, but by the end the approach almost seemed... self defeating? Like it was constantly setting up for some kind of commentary about nonjudgemental fatalism, or self enforcing hierarchies and the ethics of power, and just never went anywhere with it. Maybe I was just expecting too much from it.

I mean I guess it could still go that way, but it would seem like a weird shift at this point.

Fangz posted:

Similarly the Friday Fellows thing is more like a religion with human sacrifice - you might individually not want to be the guy on the chopping block but everyone recognises that it just happens and it's not the domain of normal people to question why it happens.

Now that's almost what I was expecting the show to get into, because for things like human sacrifice, people don't tend to say "we do it because tradition", they tend to construct an extensive series of justifications to support it, and the worse the practice the more extensive the justifications. It's how you get divine right of kings, the white man's burden, and manifest destiny.

Like, the Aztecs believed that the gods all sacrificed themselves to sustain mankind, so worshipers would volunteer for sacrifice to emulate those gods and give back some of that life-force. Being sacrificed was repaying a great and eternal debt to the cosmos, and was praised as a high and noble act.

That's the sort of poo poo you need to keep people doing human sacrifice.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 19, 2017

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

The show's finale should be Yasaburou turning into a T-Rex and eating Benten.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Pavlov posted:

Now that's almost what I was expecting the show to get into, because for things like human sacrifice, people don't tend to say "we do it because tradition", they tend to construct an extensive series of justifications to support it, and the worse the practice the more extensive the justifications. It's how you get divine right of kings, the white man's burden, and manifest destiny.

Like, the Aztecs believed that the gods all sacrificed themselves to sustain mankind, so worshipers would volunteer for sacrifice to emulate those gods and give back some of that life-force. Being sacrificed was repaying a great and eternal debt to the cosmos, and was praised as a high and noble act.

That's the sort of poo poo you need to keep people doing human sacrifice.

This is a little inaccurate. Volunteers did provide some victims for the aztecs, but captives from war was also a common source, as is in the case in many other civilisations. You can pretty easily balance being comfortable with the idea of having someone die now and then with also not personally wanting it to be you or someone close to you. Souichirou debatably volunteered, it seems like. I really should watch the first season again, but wasn't the subtext there that he viewed his death as a way of securing the favour of Benten for his family?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 19, 2017

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Thanks for translating that short Doc V!

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Blank Construct posted:

Thanks for translating that short Doc V!

You're welcome! :)

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Holy poo poo chin dude is amazing.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
https://twitter.com/Uchoten2_EN/status/806617235259211776

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Oh my Nidaime is going to die so much.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I will not judge him for wanting to be stepped on by Benten.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Hahaha gently caress you benten, get dumped.

You know I did wonder why everyone was so scared of benten in particular. In the first season her only real talents were flying and gold digging an old man. I'm guessing if she can deflect bullets she's got some other poo poo up her sleeve though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Any woman who grabs a whale by the tail and pulls, just because she can, is someone you should be a little afraid of.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Hahaha gently caress you benten, get dumped.

You know I did wonder why everyone was so scared of benten in particular. In the first season her only real talents were flying and gold digging an old man. I'm guessing if she can deflect bullets she's got some other poo poo up her sleeve though.

She's a human, the most terrifying being in the world, who is also a Tengu wizard and eats Tanuki for fun. She's very scary.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Oh my Nidaime is going to die so much.

Hey, did you see his pro ironing? British Gentleman are not to be trifled with.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well now Nidaime's alright in my book.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 24, 2017

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Man I just realized, if the magic society is a stand in for feudal japan, then nidaime gets to play the roll of the westernization that upturned it. He literally upturned it this episode, right on her rear end.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Man I just realized, if the magic society is a stand in for feudal japan, then nidaime gets to play the roll of the westernization that upturned it. He literally upturned it this episode, right on her rear end.

He doesn't seem like he really wants to upturn the system or anything, he just wants to kill his dad.

If anything he kinda comes off to me as a parallel to Benten. Tengu who acts human (i'm guessing that's where his "i'm not a Tengu" thing is going) compared to human who acts Tengu.

Edit: If anything Benten has more upturned magic society since she's just a human and she's mastered Tengu magic and all.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 24, 2017

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Pavlov posted:

The biggest thing she's done on-screen was is the short story I translated where she dragged a giant blizzard across the mountains, but suffice to say that she's quite a bit stronger than she looks like.

Then again, so is the heir. Fun little fact that got cut out of the anime: that top hat he had in the first two episodes was actually forged out of a WW1-era cannon shell.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The scene with granny tanuki was extremely good :unsmith: and Benten's entrance scene was pretty great too

Yashiro really is an adorable little tanuki :3: and LOL at that ending

Knorth fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 24, 2017

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He doesn't seem like he really wants to upturn the system or anything, he just wants to kill his dad.

If anything he kinda comes off to me as a parallel to Benten. Tengu who acts human (i'm guessing that's where his "i'm not a Tengu" thing is going) compared to human who acts Tengu.

Edit: If anything Benten has more upturned magic society since she's just a human and she's mastered Tengu magic and all.

Benten is still working within the established power structure. She's like an adopted child in a noble house, which happened sometimes.

Nidaime doesn't need to want to upturn the system, just being powerful and not respecting it is enough. The west didn't destroy the last shogunate because it wanted to, it just refused to go away one day and the system collapsed on its own. Nidaime kind of strikes me like a meiji style reformist though, so he might turn out a bit more proactive than we've seen him.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I didn't expect Benten back so soon into this season, but I'm glad, things are always fun and tense when she's on screen. And drat, I don't know what's going to come of Nidaime vs. Benten, but I'm kind of terrified.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I don't know what's going to come of Nidaime vs. Benten, but I'm kind of terrified.

She's gonna chip a teacup or something and in the ensuing battle we're all gonna die.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I didn't expect Benten back so soon into this season, but I'm glad, things are always fun and tense when she's on screen.

They actually shuffled things around a bit to have her come back sooner: in the book, the shogi tournament from next week's episode happens after the "duel" between Akadama and his son and before Tenmaya shows up. Combine that with how much stuff they packed into eps 1 & 2 and she's actually away for almost the entire first third of the book.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Jeez OP, tag those spoilers.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Fangz posted:

Jeez OP, tag those spoilers.

What exactly did I spoil? Everything in the OP is either stuff that has been previously established or basic character traits that are common in-universe knowledge.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Doc V posted:

What exactly did I spoil? Everything in the OP is either stuff that has been previously established or basic character traits that are common in-universe knowledge.

Tournament in next week's episode? The thing about the guy's hat that might be later revealed in the show? Even really talking about shuffling around events from the novel has implications about events happening. Please, I think it would just be polite to spoiler tag all discussion of the novel.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fangz posted:

Tournament in next week's episode? The thing about the guy's hat that might be later revealed in the show? Even really talking about shuffling around events from the novel has implications about events happening. Please, I think it would just be polite to spoiler tag all discussion of the novel.

Nothing about the guy's hat was mentioned at the tournament happening next episode was shown in the preview at the end of the last one.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm not gonna dance around discussing whether particular details are spoilers or not, I just think general discussion of the novel and differences between it and the show should be tagged. If you aren't spoiling the show you are still spoiling the novel.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Fangz posted:

Tournament in next week's episode?

Spoilers: the episode literally titled "The Tanuki Shogi Tournament" features a tanuki shogi tournament.

Fangz posted:

The thing about the guy's hat that might be later revealed in the show?

Possible, but I doubt it. It's one throwaway detail that gets mentioned once, never shows up again and has zero plot relevance. They would have to write a whole new scene just to establish it and if they cared so much about it they wouldn't have cut it in the first place.

Fangz posted:

Even really talking about shuffling around events from the novel has implications about events happening. Please, I think it would just be polite to spoiler tag all discussion of the novel.

Like, I get your concern, but everything I've posted in this thread untagged is stuff I can't see as having a major impact on anything. There are a ton of other changes that I'd love to talk about but have not mentioned specifically because they actually tie into other things or have significant implications, and if I were to talk about them I would tag them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Again, I think it would just be nice to spoiler tag everything, and I don't see a reason not to. Safer too. Even making the implication that 'X is not important' and 'Y that I am very clearly not talking about *is* important' is arguably a spoiler.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Snape kills Souichirou.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fangz posted:

Again, I think it would just be nice to spoiler tag everything, and I don't see a reason not to. Safer too. Even making the implication that 'X is not important' and 'Y that I am very clearly not talking about *is* important' is arguably a spoiler.

Just spoiler tag everything to be safe. Even if it's not a spoiler. Best solution :colbert:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
oh my loving god this is a magical realism story you pedants

also this ep owned. what happens if an irresistible force meets an immovable object

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Fangz posted:

I'm looking at your avatar text and it's highly relevant.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Well, time to build and apocalypse shelter, for whatever good that'll do me when they clash.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Tanukis are very adorable

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Is there some goofy rear end reading of the kanji there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well that was certainly a twist ending.

• Locked thread