Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow, they really butchered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I'm surprised they cut so much stuff. I thought the ending felt rushed, but that's a whole lot of information that really should've been in the show - even if it had to be creatively condensed. I wonder if an additional episode could've helped or if they would've needed to rearranged/rewrite things more extensively to fit everything in.

Still enjoyed it but losing that much context is certainly disappointing and definitely makes the ending we got weaker.

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 27, 2017

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I wonder if they're just counting on a third season, and they'll explain it better there. The kind of did that with the detailing the first season too.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Doc V posted:

Okay, here we go. Stuff from the last episode, off the top of my head:

-They cut out all of the heir's actual character development from his epilogue lol

Could you explain what this was? Sounds vaguely important if a 3rd season ever ends up happening.

I wonder why they skipped that stuff about the Hotel though because that seems interesting, and kinda essential to the mystery of the connection between Benten and The Nidaime's old flame. And while I think I got a decent understanding of The Nidaime's past and even how his relationship with Benten is affected by his old crush, I thought it was a conscious decision to not really go into the context behind the women he fell in love with rather than something that was seemingly cut for time. I assumed we were just supposed to read Benten's similarity to her as a coincidence.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
I'll post the stuff they cut from the heir's epilogue when I get back from work.

But yeah, they definitely needed more episodes. Having one ep less than season 1 when book 2 is about 50 pages (1-2 episodes worth of source material) longer than book 1 seems like a pretty fundamental mistake.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Could you explain what this was? Sounds vaguely important if a 3rd season ever ends up happening.

Here's a quick translation of the bits they cut out from the heir's ending:

quote:

After my oldest brother's wedding, I took Professor Akadama back to his apartment.
I crammed my dear grumbling teacher under his kotatsu and was walking down the stairs when I saw the heir standing on the snowy alley beyond the fence, staring at me from under a black umbrella.
It was the first time I had seen him since all the fuss at the end of last year.
That same fuss had reduced his belongings to ash, but he had moved back to Hotel Ookura in Kawaramachi Oike and spent his days as if nothing had happened whatsoever. There seemed to be no end to the flow of the Napoleon-era gold coins from his pockets.
Nevertheless, it was obvious that the root cause behind all that fuss had been me. I prepared myself for a scolding, but instead the heir raised his hand in greeting.
"Hello, Yasaburou. I see you're still busy pandering to his whims"
"Well, he is my teacher, after all"
"You tanuki truly are diligent" he muttered. Then, without as much as a glance in the direction of the apartment, he bluntly asked me: "How is he?"
"Sulking about the cold and the boredom"
"I see. That's good to hear"
The heir swiftly turned around and started walking. I hurried after him and asked: "Aren't you going to visit the Master?"
"It's not as if I'm to meet him" was the heir's curt reply.
We walked through Demachi shopping street together.
"Still, I have to say that last month's commotion was an awful bother"
"...My deepest apologies"
"I wonder how much of it was your doing and how much was just an accident"
"I have to admit I'm not entirely sure myself, what with there being secret plots involved and all... But honestly, in this country and in this city in particular, that sort of commotion is nothing out of the ordinary"
The heir stared at me, narrowing his eyes.
He seemed well aware that I was feigning innocence, but decided not to pursue the matter further. And that awareness was the exact reason why I had no intention of spilling the fuzzy beans.

After that, there's the exchange that actually made it to the show, followed by the two walking in silence across snowy Kyoto, and then:

quote:

Suddenly the heir whispered, quietly like a blushing maiden: "Can we ever become friends?"
"I'm flattered, but unfortunately that's impossible"
"Why?"
"Because I am a tanuki and picking on tanuki is the way of the tengu"
The heir grinned. In all the time since he returned last spring, I had never once seen him smile so sincerely.
"Unique. You truly are unique"
"Thank you very much"
"Don't hesitate to stop by and visit me at the hotel sometime"
And with that, the False English Gentleman walked off into the swirling snow.

So it's not really plot critical, but it's a nice character moment that reveals that he actually cares about his father now (even if he still refuses to admit it) and shows a side of him that we've never seen before.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is the book translated? It'll take me like ten years to get to a level where I can read it in Japanese. I'm on kindergarten level picture books right now, so unless they've got one for this series... :(

I liked this season but the ending felt super rushed. Like everything happened in five minutes and then fifteen minutes of aftermath.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
Huh, thanks for the book summaries. That does help. The ending was good and cute, but still felt like it was missing a good wrap up. Another episode would've definitely helped.

It's kinda funny they didn't mention the smell thing much at all. Especially with that earlier setup of Yasa reminiscing about his dad coming back from the hot springs and not having any scent. Actually, I forgot about that scene until the explanation about how Soun faked his death.

That backstory of the heir and the hotel would've been nice, too. I do feel pity for Benten, too. Like someone else just mentioned, being kidnapped and raised by a tengu would probably mess a person up.

It's still a great show and I hope the next book gets written soon and gets another anime season!

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Is the book translated? It'll take me like ten years to get to a level where I can read it in Japanese. I'm on kindergarten level picture books right now, so unless they've got one for this series... :(

Nope, I'm pretty sure none of Morimi's books have been translated into English. I think some are available in Chinese and Korean, but it doesn't look like western publishers have taken an interest in him.

But speaking of translations, I've got one more thing to post. The teaser for book 3 from the end of the second book:

quote:

The rivalry between Benten and the heir grows ever deeper as the two contend for the right to succeed the great Nyoigatake Yakushibou, Professor Akadama. At last, the fearless Benten forms a plan to take back Nyoigatake from the Kurama tengu... The fate of Sou'un and Tenmaya who were swallowed into the picure of Hell, the final transformation of the 120-year-old Juroujin and the secret origin of Fake Denki Bran that has remained hidden for a hundred years will all be revealed. Can the four furry brothers of the Shimogamo family live up to their father and drive away the dark clouds looming over the ancient capital? The heavens and earth are trembling, the release date is pending! Please look forward to the third chapter in the fuzziest depiction of Kyoto ever written: "The Eccentric Family 3 - The Great Tengu War"!

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Thanks for all the work you've done to fill us in on the details Doc V!

I really enjoyed this second season but I have to agree with others when I say the first season was stronger for many reasons. I look forward to a new season turning up as a surprise 4 years from now.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
This little tanuki girl that likes frogs and digging holes is pretty adorable

Also, :ohdear: Yasaburo hurt Benten and now she's gunna eat him. His hideout is freaking gorgeous though

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yasaburo is way too big an idiot to ever get eaten

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Benten... :smith:

Grandma Tanuki! :kimchi: That was a really sweet final scene

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Knorth posted:

Benten... :smith:

Grandma Tanuki! :kimchi: That was a really sweet final scene

Who is the person Benten needs though? I mean, she's a the point where she had isolated herself from everyone tanuki and tengu.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Alder posted:

Who is the person Benten needs though? I mean, she's a the point where she had isolated herself from everyone tanuki and tengu.

Lets be honest, benten and the heir are going to end up boning eventually. It's just a matter of how much drama the author wants to slip in before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Lets be honest, benten and the heir are going to end up boning eventually. It's just a matter of how much drama the author wants to slip in before then.

I hope not :catstare:

Benten is awesome when she doesn't care about anything but her own interests. I'm still undecided how I feel wrt to the heir.

• Locked thread