Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

emoji posted:

I'm saying, why should I trust the product at all that had 3 generations to not suck, with the technology available to work fine with the first generation. And they made the new Apple TV case bigger for no reason and I would have considered it if it was a stick that could be forgotten about forever. The teardown shows it can fit into a stick.

they made they appletv 4 case bigger to accommodate a bigass heat sink so it could have a higher clocked version of what was then their latest SoC, the A8. it could fit into a lameass stick if they crippled performance and went with a lovely parts bin SoC that can barely handle media playback, let alone games, like amazon and google did.

the apple tv 4 is supposed to be a bideo games console AND a media playback thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

is that the new apple tv?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

angry_keebler posted:

imo if you post in yospos but didn't build a monster htpc that supports all media types stored on your beefy media nas and also it can play all video games at incredible resolution then idk try building a sick htpc to do all that

I want to play bloodborne

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

still only 3 ethernet ports :smith:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Smythe posted:

wow didnt know the space under Tim Cook's desk, where you live, to suck him off daily, had a spare room.

atv 3 came out during Stevie's watch. you're thinking of the wrong desk

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Sweevo posted:

lmao at paying for content

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
speaking of TV boxes, someone should make a Plex server box that automatically sorts incoming media into folders

something that's low power, small, and can play poo poo itself via a wifi remote

maybe that'll be my next project

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I want the girl with a short skirt and a looooooooooooooong router!

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Steaming is poo poo for things that need to be perfect quality (TV and movies).

The best way by far is the "watch while downloading" that PSN had on my old PS3. You're basically streaming but with perfect quality all the time, best of both worlds.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
who watches movies or tv

that is just background radiation while you're doing some sick gamin'

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ultravoices posted:

who watches movies or tv

that is just background radiation while you're doing some sick gamin'

i watch people on youtube drink whisky

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

akadajet posted:

i watch people on youtube drink whisky

i watch maangchi make korean food, and then feed my husbands said korean food

then sick gamin'

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Silver Alicorn posted:

I want to play bloodborne

it's not really worth it, it's pretty tedious

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cool conversation

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

echinopsis posted:

cool conversation

i'm sure you are just a delight at parties.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

my Xbox one is a piece of poo poo I regret being given it as a gift in 2013 also related I went to my parents house and found my playstation that I bought in 1996 in the wardrobe I'm too loving old anyway one more thing for the swamp

the xbox one kinect can be useful for motion capture and 3D scanning

pram
Jun 10, 2001

long router is long

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ultravoices posted:

i'm sure you are just a delight at parties.

just keep an eye on your gf when echis around and you'll have a good time

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

pram posted:

long router is long

:pram:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Silver Alicorn posted:

I tried buying a movie on iTunes (STAR WARS ep. 7) and, well. apparently something changed and my PC setup is no longer HDCP compliant. so I can't play it full res. plus, it's compressed down to only 5.2 GB? like, they call that high definition?? that's practically a scene release squeezed into a DVD.

disgusting

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

SamDabbers posted:

just go to the public library which is like an old fashioned video store that you don't have to pay to borrow from because taxes. also there are books there not just dvds and blurays

you wouldnt download a movie?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

The Management posted:

lol, let me get off the couch, put pants on, get in the car, drive to the wherever it is they sell movies these days, pay for box with a plastic disc in it, drive home, unwrap it, put it in my video james console, wait for it to do a firmware update, then use a controller to play back.

lol let me watch some macro blocked to poo poo 4:2:0 compressed source material that DOESNT EVEN HAVE THE FILM GRAIN HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO MAINTAIN THE ARTISTIC REPRESENTATION OF THE FILMMAKERS DIRECTION????

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Sweevo posted:

lmao at paying for content

"man why don't they make movies for me?"

-a person who never pays for movies

pristine pixels

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

SO DEMANDING posted:

is there an acceptable way to rip blurays without relying on a complex toolchain of ultra-grognardy programs full of complex encoding options that only pagancow would understand? does it still take hours and hours for a single movie? tia.

yep but you'll need to read a 40 page document from the library of congress to see if you qualify for a copyright exemption

READING WHITEPAPERS LOL SO HARD

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Sniep posted:

apples tv prior to 4 suck i give you that, never claimed otherwise

the 4 resolves all these issues though

i will proceed to set this ticket to closed

my apple tv 4 works great thx for closing the ticket

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

SAME OP

i play them on the pc tho with a blu-ray drive and anydvd + vlc

they look perfect

don't tell pagancow

lol 16 as 16 black looks just fine yep

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

angry_keebler posted:

you can just use makemkv

might as well use bath salts to cure a cold too

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Last Chance posted:

the only blu ray i own is lotr theatrical editions

they're more tightly paced and generally better films than the extended versions

how dare you not like the peter jackson jack-me-off special special "i have no life" 3.5 hour editions?!?!?!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Sniep posted:

i buy every movie on blu ray, rip it to my NAS, then play off appletv 4 the raw blu ray rip off the nas while the discs stay on the shelf

275 movies as of today

on the same shelf as the comic books, or the anime titty lady figurines?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

The Management posted:

if I was creating a high def video format, I would probably not name it something close to blurry

and yet blu-ray won despite the name. it was just sony dickwaving because they are 10 for 10 on technical achievements in formats, and now that they have playstation to push it they will continue to dunk on errebody else

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

gently caress outa here, just get DPX masters straight from the distributor. lol fisher price codecs.

UHD Blu-Ray has HDR and 10-bpc, so time to throw your OS in the garbage because it doesn't support either.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sniep posted:

i buy every movie on blu ray, rip it to my NAS, then play off appletv 4 the raw blu ray rip off the nas while the discs stay on the shelf

275 movies as of today
^doing it correctly

plex is poo poo because it actually requires ur comp to be on / a vps capable of decoding 1080 fast enough. appletv can direct stream off an external hooked up to my stebeport xtreme

why plex can't just stream off a nas, i have no idea. i use this app called infuse instead and its v needs suiting

pagancow posted:

gently caress outa here, just get DPX masters straight from the distributor. lol fisher price codecs.

UHD Blu-Ray has HDR and 10-bpc, so time to throw your OS in the garbage because it doesn't support either.
this is bc AACS 2.0 hasnt been cracked yet, current uhd blu ray rips are just stream rips. supposedly the redfox guy is working on it though

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 18, 2017

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Sniep posted:

275 movies as of today

same

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

guys guys guys gusy

i have an 18 tb drive! I can post ALMOST ONE movie!!!@!!@@! (at 2k lol)

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

actually i just use 1080p because 4k is a gimmick designed to create a 3 year TV cycle, just like 3d was.

literally nobody gives a gently caress

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

generally ppl who claim that dont have a 4k display

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

"my eyes can totally discern this pixel is half an mm smaller when im 6 feet away from my display!"

-a guy trying to justify spending thousands of dolalrs on a gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

theres a big and obvious difference between 1080 and 4k content on either my 32" monitor or my 55" tv (from ~8' away.) again the only reason u wouldnt believe this is a thing is not having a 4k display.

rip yospos no poors rule

• Locked thread