Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The best part was that it wasn't some dumb War movie and was actually about the effects of how dumb War is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

blue squares posted:

I thought this movie sucked. A lot.

First of all, it was boring as hell. WAR for the planet of the apes takes place almost entirely in a loving prison and ends with one little battle. And the writing was so LAZY. Multiple times characters live just long enough to say something before dying. Caesar's death another cliche. Donkey's heart finally growing two sizes another cliche. Characters acting like morons not guarding the front door or watching the cages all night. Oh we have a bunch of soldiers how do we get rid of them? How about an avalanche. The whole script could have been written in a day

^^^You might want to spoiler some of that^^^

I have to say, your review is an outlier for this film of all the ones I've read so far.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Thought Dawn was better. While I agree I don't need to see a cliché war film, it was still full of clichés and could have had an entire hour cut.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Woody Harrelson wanted to build a wall because he was afraid of white genocide. And then the soldiers crashed into the concentration camps to whip the apes to work while the Star Spangled Banner played.

Also I liked this film's conflict between professing Christians and literal Ape Jesus. A neat touch is that when Woody Harrelson signs the 'alpha,' it looks like he's making the sign of the cross.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Hand Knit posted:

Woody Harrelson wanted to build a wall because he was afraid of white genocide.

Pretty sure he was afraid of human genocide.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Did anybody see this in 3D? My wife and I saw it in 2D and it was great but we suspected that some of the closeups on Caesar and maybe some others were meant to have that high depth of field that made it look like you were right there next to him like that Ben Kingsley movie from a few years ago, kinda made me regret not springing for the 3D.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GonSmithe posted:

Know what I really appreciated about this movie? The score. It's loud and intrusive, with snares and xylophones. You don't hear scores like this very often anymore and it absolutely gives it an old-timey vibe while still being used to great effect for setting the tone.

The score for this film is phenomenal.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

RedSpider posted:

Pretty sure he was afraid of human genocide.

Racists are trying to rebrand 'White Genocide' as 'the Great Replacement'. The language of Woody Harrelson's speech about humans being replaced was lifted entirely from that, uh, "discourse."

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Hand Knit posted:

Racists are trying to rebrand 'White Genocide' as 'the Great Replacement'. The language of Woody Harrelson's speech about humans being replaced was lifted entirely from that, uh, "discourse."

Woody Harrelson wasn't a white nationalist in the film.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

RedSpider posted:

Woody Harrelson wasn't a white nationalist in the film.

he wasn't, that's right

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
You could say he was a humanist (speciest?). There are strong parallels between Alpha Omega and white nationalism.

nelson fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 23, 2017

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Well that is one outdated plot summary for the OP but whatever, that's what it was being sold as at the time. Just watch the drat thing.

Even being spoiled on Cesar dying and a lot of the plot through youtube clips and such I still thoroughly enjoyed it. The score is fantastic and-other than the prison break which drags between the tunnels being dug and the actual breakout it felt pretty tight and kept me interested the whole time.

Finally to sperg out a bit RE: Nova's doll if you actually care enough to explain how it infected the Colonel so quickly I would figure it would be because the doll probably had a bit of her saliva and/or blood on it so the thing would be crawling with mutated drat dirty ape flu

EDIT: Also did anyone else's audience go nuts over Bad Ape? I'm glad he didn't become mo-cap jar jar binks but for some reason the theater I was in went (ape poo poo) :downsrim: every time he said something.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 24, 2017

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

The SituAsian posted:

Finally to sperg out a bit RE: Nova's doll if you actually care enough to explain how it infected the Colonel so quickly I would figure it would be because the doll probably had a bit of her saliva and/or blood on it so the thing would be crawling with mutated drat dirty ape flu

EDIT: Also did anyone else's audience go nuts over Bad Ape? I'm glad he didn't become mo-cap jar jar binks but for some reason the theater I was in went (ape poo poo) :downsrim: every time he said something.

There is a tiny bit of red on it that I noticed, which is eventually overshadowed by s lot of red by Woody's nose bled at the end.

And absolutely. He was the ray of comedy to offset the bleakness. The audience definitely needed it based on the reaction.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ape Agitator posted:

And absolutely. He was the ray of comedy to offset the bleakness. The audience definitely needed it based on the reaction.

Same here, theater was about half full at a 3:30 pm Friday showing and everyone really responded to him, just the right amount to levity.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

drat this was good. Hot, hot drat.

I rewatched the other two recently and I'm really struggling to think of a better Hollywood trilogy from the last decade.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

drat this was good. Hot, hot drat.

I rewatched the other two recently and I'm really struggling to think of a better Hollywood trilogy from the last decade.

Batman?

You guys have got me psyched to see this. I loved Rise and Dawn a little less but now I'm interested even though I've looked at spoilers.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

RedSpider posted:

War of the Planet of the Apes is easily the best one out of the three. Woody Harrelson's villain was superb and not a one-dimensional cliche like superhero villains are.

They're calling this a trilogy, but I know a fourth one is already being planned. Maybe it will take place 50 years into the future or something?

MisterBibs posted:

There was a news report in the first one about a space mission's craft vanishing.

Boosh! posted:

That would be my guess, maybe 20 years into the future when Nova and Cornelius are adults.

They've clearly set up these movies to have remakes/reimaginings of the originals. Really curious to see how they would end the remake of the original film.

Did Dawn reference/have any setups for the original movies like this one and Rise did?

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

Kovalev out 6-8 months with lazy bones
Was I the only one who thought when the northern army showed up and were all completely masked that they were going to take them off and be apes? The first Apes movie I saw was Tim Burtons so maybe it just brain damaged me enough to expect a big dumb twist

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

At the very least they stand tall next to each other. I'd actually say Apes is more consistent across its three films though.

I really loved the subtle revelation that all apes across the planet were affected by the virus spreading in the same way as Caesar's tribe. The other two don't definitively say whether it was only the apes that were directly infected/gassed (and their offspring) that gained intelligence.

jopo posted:

Was I the only one who thought when the northern army showed up and were all completely masked that they were going to take them off and be apes? The first Apes movie I saw was Tim Burtons so maybe it just brain damaged me enough to expect a big dumb twist

No but I really expected the dead soldiers to be apes when they ripped their masks off.

stev fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 26, 2017

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
Finally saw this and loved every second of it. I'm an old fart Planet of the Apes fan, one of my favorite childhood toy memories was finding the Mego Planet of the Apes Treehouse still in the box at a garage sale for like 3 bucks. I love all the old planet of the apes stuff, the tv show, the marvel comics/magazines, you name it, I dug it back then.

And this trilogy has been incredible, I've loved them all. I think my favorite of the three was Dawn, as much as I liked Rise I like Matt Reeves a bit more. He's just got a visual style that I really enjoy, there's almost an atmospheric quality to his directin and Michael Seresin's camerawork in these last two films is really gorgeous. Also Dawn was the first planet of the apes film my wife had ever seen, knowing nothing about the films except seeing merchandise and poo poo for sale and it made her a huge fan instantly. One of the things I especially love about this trilogy of films is I went into everyone of them with cautious optimism, hoping for the best but also knowing it's a hell of a lot easier to make a bad planet of the apes film than a good one. Yet each time I came out of them not just satisfied that they lived up to my expectations but extremely happy that they exceeded them.

A few things I really dug that haven't seen brought up as much

The opening 20th Century Fox music played in the style of the vintage Jerry Goldsmith Apes score. Just right there at that opening and they had me.

Another key point in the Moses comparisons Caesar's death is very similar to Moses, leads his people across the desert to their new land but is not able to enter himself, instead he dies on a mountain overlooking it. Those final portrait shots with Caesar and Maurice I thought had a really iconic and quasi biblical feel to them, the most Ten Commandments like of the film.

I liked how understated both Caesar and The Colonel's deaths were, how subdued and quiet they both were presented, Colonel dying out of camera sight with a relatively quiet pop of his pistol followed by silence, Caesar losing strength and slowly sliding down into unconsciousness and death. The moment too where Caesar held the gun to the Colonels head really held me in suspense, I wasn't sure what he was going to do. I wanted to believe he'd do what he actually did, but as that moment carried on I really wasn't sure, his own admissions to becoming like Koba and the tension in that entire moment was communicated so well that I could have seen it going either way. In the end Caesar's humanity (for lack of better word) triumphed as I hoped it would. But for the duration of that entire confrontation I wasn't sure, and I really appreciated that.

Throughout this trilogy when given the choice between hitting the audience in the face or doing something quietly they choose the latter. I think that's another reason these films work so well as they do compared to others that have tried and failed. I can't wait to watch this again and really envy those of you who got to see a triple bill of all three in the theaters!

Sooper Gila fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 26, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sooper Gila posted:

Throughout this trilogy when given the choice between hitting the audience in the face or doing something quietly they choose the latter. I think that's another reason these films work so well as they do compared to others that have tried and failed. I can't wait to watch this again and really envy those of you who got to see a triple bill of all three in the theaters!

Oh man, I know! Throughout the trilogy these films have trusted the audience to do things like follow extended dialogues composed partly or wholly of sign language and ape vocalizations, it's pretty refreshing from a major studio franchise. In all those other movies where you go "why can't they just trust us to understand what's happening instead of beating us over the head with some subtle-as-a-brick bullshit", the Apes series preemptively goes "hey, if we give the audience a chance they'll figure it out".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
As a jew, I'm pretty surprised at how people see Caesar as christ and not Moses. I mean sure he gets crucified but his whole story in this film is a direct Moses analogue, especially his death and the scene where he confronts the camp guards. Then of course, if you still can't see the apes-as-jews metaphor, half of it takes place in a concentration camp complete with gorilla kapos and ss troopers.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As a jew, I'm pretty surprised at how people see Caesar as christ and not Moses.

Several people have posted about Caesar and the Moses comparison.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As a jew, I'm pretty surprised at how people see Caesar as christ and not Moses. I mean sure he gets crucified but his whole story in this film is a direct Moses analogue, especially his death and the scene where he confronts the camp guards. Then of course, if you still can't see the apes-as-jews metaphor, half of it takes place in a concentration camp complete with gorilla kapos and ss troopers.

He's 100% Moses but there's some Christ allegories too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I've met some people too that didn't see the clear Exodus parallels despite there being a literal great flood that washes away the armies of the ape's enemies and him leading his folks through the desert to their new home.

Speaking of which since a fourth one is being made I'm really excited to see how far in the future it is/where they go with the ape's sign language/speech and culture. Their having moved to a more arid environment gives them a great excuse to start wearing clothing/making more sturdy homes/etc. They really did a good job setting things up to ape ( :cool: ) the setting of the original movie without there needing to be a nuclear war turning the world into a rocky desert.

The Exodus and other religious parallels are great too because everything is worked into the story so smoothly to form a really solid "creation myth" for the apes, like besides the journeys all of these apes went through you can see how Caesar's adventures and actions and wisdom are truly going to be legendary to the apes forever.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
And maybe we'll get to hear female apes again. Zira was great.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Never been a POTA fan, but I caught this on a friend's recommendation and I really enjoyed it.

Caesar was a great character and you feel the tear between his duty as the leader of the apes and his need for revenge.

The score in parts felt disjointed to me, but not in a bad way; it moved in a way similar to how an ape would move, lumbering and throwing its weight around.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There were elements of Cain and Abel within the relationship between Caesar and Koba, the "brother" he killed and whose ghost haunts him throughout the film as well.

I really dug this movie.

E: also, am I crazy, or did I catch a hint of Heston's voice mixed in when Maurice said "Nova?"

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 28, 2017

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

This movie shouldve been called The Great EscAPE.

It also owns hard

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
There was no reason for this movie to be 2hrs 15 minutes long or to feel like it was 3 hours long. It was shot like a loving videogame. How many full-frame closeups of Caesar's face do we need. Totally dissociates from the environment and reinforces them as CGI puppets.

The first Reeves movie was fun but flawed, the last 2 have taken themselves way too seriously and underplayed their premise. Disappointing. The mocap work is phenomenal and Serkis is great as a CGI ape.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wait, how do you mean. Undermines the premise in what way?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

"Underplays the premise" is wrong too, as the series actually follows up on the poison that is inside man that leads directly to the thesis of War.

War corrupts everyone when it's embraced.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

A thing I found interesting about the Colonel: he believes the virus causes humans to lose their higher faculties as well as their ability to speak which motivates his brutal "quarantining." But it's clear from Nova that this is not the case. She is perfectly capable of communication through sign language, and obviously retains her intelligence. Thus when he is affected by the virus and loses his speech, he realises his mind is still intact, and that therefore he didn't need to kill his son, and descends further into his alcoholism ultimately becoming suicidal. At least that was my interpretation, but I think it's more interesting than assuming the virus actually does just destroy the mind.

I find the depiction of gender in these films fascinating too, and I wonder how much of it is intentional. Apes have a "traditional" family structure with males as warriors and females in charge of children (although it's difficult to say whether all the fighter apes are male, certainly the only confirmed female apes Cornelia and Lake fit this description). Meanwhile, with the destruction of society humans seem to have retreated into uber-masculinity derived from their violent dominance over apes. There are perhaps two or three female soldiers in this movie, visible only during the Star-Spangled Banner scene where they are exactly the same as the male soldiers. And of course Nova represents the potential innocence still possible for humanity. I don't remember the other films well enough to say anything about them -- I remember the main female character of the first was James Franco's love interest, I don't remember any female characters from Dawn (did the main human guy in that have a daughter?). And in the original I know there were at least some female ape scientists.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Gluten Freeman posted:

I don't remember any female characters from Dawn

Keri Russell had a decent part

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ammanas posted:

The first Reeves movie was fun but flawed, the last 2 have taken themselves way too seriously and underplayed their premise.

Reeves only did the last two.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Steve2911 posted:

Reeves only did the last two.

That explains that, thanks.

If you didn't groan at the avalanche scene or the gas tank explosions I don't know what to say, incredibly hackneyed and lazy.

The first movie felt like something was beginning, the 2nd and 3rd put the series into slow motion with increasing ludicrous human behavior..

War felt like being hit over the head with slavery / civil war / Bible metaphors

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I dunno, I really like that God is a chimp that just got tired of humans making war.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
That monkey's gone to heaven

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Also, I really like that it's a figure of speech literally looming in the background for most of the film. It's divine retribution, deus ex machina, whatever, but you can't say it's not foreshadowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Divine retribution is exactly how I described the avalanche after leaving the theater. The human soldiers willed the avalanche into being as soon as the first soldier lifted his weapon toward Caesar.

I caught the soldier with the Alpha/Omega symbol on his helmet right in the beginning, but once it was revealed that they were basically a death cult (their camp had no children), their motives and the consequences made a ton of sense.

• Locked thread