Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Was Dawn of the Planet of the Apes good? I got the impression it took place in like an almost all of humanity is gone kind of place so does this new movie take place before it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I watched Dawn yesterday and liked it a lot. I have to give it to the effects people again the level of expressiveness they were able to give the apes is awesome. Also my wife is from San Francisco and was saying all of the street/building placement is super geographically accurate to reality and recognized most of the streets/interiors/etc. we see on site which I can appreciate since it'd be easy to not give as much of a poo poo about that.

That final battle was pretty emotional, I really appreciate how much they committed to having the apes be characters. The original Planet of the Apes isn't a subtle movie but the Tim Burton was was embarrassing with how flat and cardboard cutout every character was.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Was hoping this thread would get resurrected. The AV Club review confirmed basically what I expected from this film.

http://www.avclub.com/review/ambitious-war-planet-apes-ends-surrendering-formul-257757

Seems like it's "good enough, but..." for the most part so I'll watch it eventually but will probably wait for Netflix so I can do a double feature with Skull Island and GO APE.

I also think it's neat that Andy Serkis has basically created his own entire genre of acting and has been for like 15 years now; to the point that probably nobody even recognizes him walking down the street but he's famous as hell. I can't think of a parallel. Lon Cheney or Boris Karloff maybe but think about how long ago that was.

FWIW, AV Club also has a retrospective of the original 4 films up that's worth a read if anyone is into it.

http://www.avclub.com/article/original-planet-apes-series-became-more-daring-mov-257777

I only ever really cared for the original but when I was a kid, POTA poo poo was everywhere. Toys, cartoons, a TV show.... I remember being allowed to stay up late and watch the original Heston film and was blown away. Still holds up. I am old.

Hell yes I was super into anything Planet of the Apes. I even watched that TV show when some station was showing reruns of it, even as a kid I could tell it was crap but hey, Planet of the Apes!

I don't think I "liked" any of the sequels either but I really appreciated how out there they went. Like Planet of the Apes has a downer ending but Beneath's ending? Holy poo poo. Plus they had a single continuous time paradox story that finally breaks with Battle for Planet Apes. The part in Beneath where they walk around sunken/ruined NYC, the mutated psychic faction that pops up in some of the stuff, it's a crazy world.

FYI if anyone has T-Mobile, if you download that T-Mobile Tuesday app they have a deal where you can get a War for the Planet of the Apes ticket for ***$4***, that's pretty awesome. My wife and I are seeing it this weekend, probably would have waited for Netflix otherwise. It was painless, you just get a coupon code from T-Mobile and then buy the tickets through Atom and use the code there.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 12, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Too cruel. Just give them Maurice avatars.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

If I had a criticism of the movie, I wish the "work project" the apes were necessary for felt more likely to actually make a difference.

It gave me the impression that in an earlier version of the script the movie was meant to parallel iconic moments in Exodus much more directly instead of just have Christ parallels, so the plot had to work around getting the imagery of the apes getting enslaved and having to move heavy rocks. There's a "great flood" also that devours both sides of the human military forces. At the same time it didn't seem too out there, as we learn the "work project" is happening more out of urgent desperation, and we're in a severely depopulated under-resourced earth so they had to work with what was there.

I liked this movie A LOT. And I again have to say I'm in awe at how good the CG apes are for how relatively lower the budget is for this. Overall I think this is just as good as Dawn, the only that holds it back isn't really something you can hold against it and that's just that it's the third movie. It continues from Dawn so effectively while I think Dawn can stand on its own even if someone didn't see Rise.

The movie ends in such a way that it could easily be followed up by a Planet of the Apes remake, I think that's why the details of the virus are kept a little vague beyond the basic "now it quickly degenerates someone's brain making them ape-like"

But I liked that aspect of it a lot, because we see that Nova's lost her knowledge, but she's hardly stupid or unable to function. The Colonel has racist eugenics 101 stuff laced throughout his interpretation of how the world and the virus works. But Nova gave me the impression that the virus' new nature isn't the hopeless death sentence the Colonel lays it out to be, which is why the rest of the military was fine with quarantining people and trying to find a solution. The Colonel's son didn't become the way he was JUST from the virus, but because his dad was the Colonel. Nova's able to survive because Caesar/etc. basically treat her the same way James Franco was treating Caesar, that's cool. I was expecting the full circle of Caesar Refusing to kill the Colonel but then the Colonel losing too much of his mental faculties to be able to kill himself. That was still able to made me think that, again, the virus robbed his ability to speak but didn't actually effect him otherwise, especially when it makes such a point to show how much alcohol he consumed. Not long after that happens we see an immediate example of how our voices aren't what make us human, and that actions speak louder than words - Donkey is so awed by Caesar's willingness to sacrifice himself that he's able to ignore a human shouting orders at him. That's awesome.

Anyway I think maybe they don't explicitly say a lot of that about how it works so that they can have some flexibility on what direction a potential fourth movie might go in.

Bad Ape is fantastic. That's a character that would have been so easy to screw up, but instead he's a standout and adds a lot to the movie.

The way Caesar's own views are challenged is really impressive too. As leader of the apes in Dawn he works so hard to try to avoid violence. When he finally decides that Koba needs to die, like he's sort of collectively taking away the apes' innocence as it were (and of course from himself), as War goes on we see in realizing the tragedy of how he did that for nothing, and how apes that allied with the humans did so in Koba's name. Like the movie gives him a lot to chew on throughout.

Maurice. :O

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 17, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

nelson posted:

Me too. My hope was the wall was just a ruse and the real intent was to dig up an atom bomb that the colonial knew was stored underground there. It would have made a bigger connection with the alpha-omega name of the group... and an accidental (or purposeful) activation would provide a much more interesting end to the other humans than an avalanche.

They must have been really banking on this movie doing great and eventually doing remakes of the original series, because they set up a perfect scenario for A bunch of Alpha Omega soldiers without the ability to speak trapped underground and for the site of the avalanche to become telepathic underground inhabitants of the Forbidden Zone. The racial purity bent of the group would even fit the development in Beneath where they think they're super advanced because they developed telepathy, but it doesn't actually work on non-humans and their reasoning for that is because ape minds are "too primitive," in that movie they end up only really using their ability to cause more conflict. I actually thought they were implying something like that with Gary Oldman's character in Rise, either way I hope they do get to really go through with remaking Planet of the Apes/etc. because this trilogy is awesome.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

One of my friends who never saw the original caught that just on the level of it "sounding like 60s sci-fi.' I liked how the score for Dawn wasn't afraid to get loud either.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The first two are really good and worth checking out also even if you know how the story ends.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I've met some people too that didn't see the clear Exodus parallels despite there being a literal great flood that washes away the armies of the ape's enemies and him leading his folks through the desert to their new home.

Speaking of which since a fourth one is being made I'm really excited to see how far in the future it is/where they go with the ape's sign language/speech and culture. Their having moved to a more arid environment gives them a great excuse to start wearing clothing/making more sturdy homes/etc. They really did a good job setting things up to ape ( :cool: ) the setting of the original movie without there needing to be a nuclear war turning the world into a rocky desert.

The Exodus and other religious parallels are great too because everything is worked into the story so smoothly to form a really solid "creation myth" for the apes, like besides the journeys all of these apes went through you can see how Caesar's adventures and actions and wisdom are truly going to be legendary to the apes forever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm hoping the fourth movie is like the original novel and the apes live basically as we do today technology-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Cornelius travels to a bizarre Planet of the Humans where humans are intelligent enough to rule over a barely cognizant slave race of apes, but doesn't realize it was Earth in the future until he finally overcomes his alternately hostile or curious human captors and rides into the Forbidden Zone to discover Mt. Apemore with Caesar/Maurice/Rocket/Bad Ape's faces on it.

• Locked thread