Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I watched Dawn yesterday and liked it a lot. I have to give it to the effects people again the level of expressiveness they were able to give the apes is awesome. Also my wife is from San Francisco and was saying all of the street/building placement is super geographically accurate to reality and recognized most of the streets/interiors/etc. we see on site which I can appreciate since it'd be easy to not give as much of a poo poo about that.

That final battle was pretty emotional, I really appreciate how much they committed to having the apes be characters. The original Planet of the Apes isn't a subtle movie but the Tim Burton was was embarrassing with how flat and cardboard cutout every character was.

I think part of what makes the film work is that it isn't embarrassed by the concept. Too many films based on 'hokey' old ideas tend to lean too heavily into being ashamed of what they're working on and it makes the product feel halfhearted or too self-conscious but instead it just goes "yep, this is the film we're doing, deal with it" and it works out better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I've never seen Rise and Dawn. Will I be lost if I see this?

You should probably watch them first. I mean I doubt this one will be incoherent but they're pretty good films.

• Locked thread