Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Neo Rasa posted:

Was Dawn of the Planet of the Apes good? I got the impression it took place in like an almost all of humanity is gone kind of place so does this new movie take place before it?

I got bored with it honestly. I absolutely loved Rise (and the original Charlton Heston film) but Dawn seemed to degenerate into too many action sequences and lacked the emotional investments that Rise gave us. By the end it was just violence and fighting. I admit it was very well made but it failed to hold my interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

I feel like I didn't watch the same movie, because the final struggle vs Koba was really emotional.

It was. I just thought the Caesar, senile father in law, apes in jail, and Franco's powerlessness as a guardian from Rise resonated a lot more. Dawn was good but had too much fighting for my taste. The previews for the new film have me a little concerned too to be honest. I like Woody Harrelson but I'm getting a weird overall vibe so far. Both movies have been good so I'll probably see the third one but I'm not expecting much for some reason.

Also, great thread title, OP

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Was hoping this thread would get resurrected. The AV Club review confirmed basically what I expected from this film.

http://www.avclub.com/review/ambitious-war-planet-apes-ends-surrendering-formul-257757

Seems like it's "good enough, but..." for the most part so I'll watch it eventually but will probably wait for Netflix so I can do a double feature with Skull Island and have ape night.

I also think it's neat that Andy Serkis has basically created his own entire genre of acting and has been for like 15 years now; to the point that probably nobody even recognizes him walking down the street but he's famous as hell. I can't think of a parallel. Lon Cheney or Boris Karloff maybe but think about how long ago that was.

FWIW, AV Club also has a retrospective of the original 4 films up that's worth a read if anyone is into it.

http://www.avclub.com/article/original-planet-apes-series-became-more-daring-mov-257777

I only ever really cared for the original but when I was a kid, POTA poo poo was everywhere. Toys, cartoons, a TV show.... I remember being allowed to stay up late and watch the original Heston film and was blown away. Still holds up. I am old.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

gently caress Maurice. He sucks.

Nah, I'm just kidding. Maurice rules. Don't ban me

Quanta posted:

Everyone in VFX hates him for it because he takes credit away from the sculptors and animators who are responsible for the facial animation and performance of the CGI characters. There's nothing Serkis does that can't be done with hundreds of other (even amateur) actors. His performances with the head cameras and motion capture suit are purely for reference for the animators and sculptors, and the final product is heavily changed and polished by the animators and the director of the film. High-end VFX is still very cloak-and-dagger and difficult to understand for the layperson, so I suppose it's rife for an unblushing and devious self-promoter like Serkis to take credit for things he shouldn't.

Is this really a thing? I never read about it. You have a link to an article or a story that talks about it?

Seems to me Serkis must lend something to the process since he seems to be The Guy they use for this sort of poo poo, but I brought up Lon Cheney and Boris Karloff before and I know some "serious people" didn't really consider them to be "actors", so maybe there's a parallel. Seems like the sort of thing someone just winds up doing simply because they're willing and the results are good so they keep doing it but maybe Karloff and Cheney had a knack for it or something.

Interesting subject.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Quanta posted:

Stuff about Serkis and Caeser.

Interesting post. I assume from your tone that you work in the industry and do this sort of work?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

What was funny about that post?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

blue squares posted:

I thought this movie sucked. A lot.

First of all, it was boring as hell. WAR for the planet of the apes takes place almost entirely in a loving prison and ends with one little battle. And the writing was so LAZY. Multiple times characters live just long enough to say something before dying. Caesar's death another cliche. Donkey's heart finally growing two sizes another cliche. Characters acting like morons not guarding the front door or watching the cages all night. Oh we have a bunch of soldiers how do we get rid of them? How about an avalanche. The whole script could have been written in a day

^^^You might want to spoiler some of that^^^

I have to say, your review is an outlier for this film of all the ones I've read so far.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

drat this was good. Hot, hot drat.

I rewatched the other two recently and I'm really struggling to think of a better Hollywood trilogy from the last decade.

Batman?

You guys have got me psyched to see this. I loved Rise and Dawn a little less but now I'm interested even though I've looked at spoilers.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As a jew, I'm pretty surprised at how people see Caesar as christ and not Moses.

Several people have posted about Caesar and the Moses comparison.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The next Apes movie is going to be super interesting, because there have been a billion postapoc movies but precious few about like, after the flood and actually building a society. What are they gonna crib from?

It's pretty loving cool that they've built a trilogy of prequels and now find themselves having to top the original POTA, which is almost flawless and is still amazing. They'll have to take a different tract somehow and they've laid the groundwork so I'm confident they'll at least do better than Burton but how do you top the original? And what sort of stunner can you come up with for an ending?

I'm drawing a blank and really glad I don't have to write it.

Usually, they tend to remake original film and if it hits, work forwards and backwards from there. I honestly can't think of another remake/franchise where they started out with a prequel, let alone a trilogy, but it's quite novel and these films have been great. Very interested to see what they do.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the thought of a fourth film is an interesting one. Honestly, up to this point, I feel like it's pretty easy to say that a version of the first film still happened as was depicted. The thing War introduces that really throws a wrench in this is the introduction of Nova and Cornelius in this film which somewhat suggests that we're supposed to assume that if or when the original story is retold, you won't get the big time jump.

I think the most interesting thing they could do is depict the fractures and segregation of ape society that we saw in the first film. Introducing Zaius as a villain would probably be a good move and make a good foil for a Cornelius trying to protect his father's legacy under the guidance of Maurice.

There's also the fact that the whole premise of the film gives an explanation for Beneath's mutants. It would be really fun if the next movie is just a Beneath remake and the new series remakes every movie besides the new ones.

They don't have to change a whole lot with a remake but have to alter it enough to make it worth doing. I hope they avoid the stuff the original sequels did with all the underground mutants and poo poo. The foundation is already there (religion versus science, slavery, inequality, evolution, etc.) and they've done a great job setting it up with this trilogy.

Everybody knows the Statue of Liberty reveal so they have to come up with something different but equally as provocative. I'm sort of drawing a blank. Maybe set it in Egypt or something and have Taylor find the Sphinx.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The easy and obvious thing to do would be to flip the perspective. The Charlton Heston character is now a sympathetic villain rather than a rough hero.

That's good. Apparently it wasn't that obvious to me but, yeah that's loving perfect.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Maybe the end reveal in the POTA remake will be a big giant statue of James Franco?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

Look son, if you told me when I was ten that in twenty years there would be a remake of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes and essentially a two part remake of Battle for the Planet of the Apes that are some of the best genre films to come out in the 21st century, I'd tell you that you were crazy. The mutants are sort of a sore thumb in the original series, but I think they actually would work pretty seamlessly into the current series. They would just be .001% of the human population who James Franco Disease worked as intended for. I think they also work as an interesting thematic extension to War. The mutants would be humans who have not only kept their faculties but had them increased only to lose their humanity regardless.

I think if they're going to retell Taylor's story, I think I would end it with him deciding to give and kiss adult Nova leading to him "de-evolving." The ultimate smug and entitled human giving in to nature and accepting the world doesn't revolve around him/humans.

What are you on about now? Your post was sort of all over the place. Are you lecturing me or making a personal wish list? Or both? I can't really tell.

I liked someone else's idea of redoing the original with Taylor as the villain and viewing it through the lens of the apes' POV. That's an incredibly smart take on keeping it fresh while still paying homage and would render the remake as relevant to modern times as the original was to its own. Didn't someone mention that in Rise they set it up where a spacecraft got lost or something? Because I missed that if it was in there.

I need to go see this movie but for tonight I got my ape fix by renting Kong: Skull Island. I've heard mixed opinions.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm saying that the super intelligent humans actually make sense since the whole inciting incident of the first film was about a virus that' originally makes humans smarter. And they'd support War's themes about what makes us human.

Not trying to be rude.

And also yeah, I think there's a news report about Taylor's mission and a newspaper article about losing contact.

I guess if you HAD to introduce the mutant underground poo poo that's a good way to go and approach it and it makes sense but, man, did that ever gently caress up Beneath the Planet of the Apes and ruin the awesomeness of the original for me when I was a kid first watching it. I could do without it, especially for what looks like a full on remake of one of the best science fiction movies ever made.

The remake is gonna be tough because the original still kicks so much rear end. They'll have to be really clever with it. They tried once and failed miserably. It's like trying to remake JAWS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

girth brooks part 2 posted:

James Franco almost certainly died of simian flu or was executed for crimes against humanity soon after the end of Rise.

Tellin you guys. The Big Reveal of the remake will be James Franco's head on the Sphinx or as Christ the Redeemer.

• Locked thread