Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Good movie. CGI was so good that my wife asked after the movie if it was CGI or real animals. The humorous and compassionate moments added a lot to the film without turning the movie into a silly comedy. Really well done. The Moses and Exodus similarities were interesting. Bad Ape was just hilarious.
Only minor complaint is the tactical realism was basically ignored, like a soldier going into the gated prison area to shoot an ape instead of standing outside and shooting through the bars. Or the human guards unable to notice much at all during the prison break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Zeris posted:

What was the purpose of the doll in Caesar's cage? For a second, I thought they were going to say the little girl and the colonel had both been affected by it, somehow, which obviously makes no sense but I didn't see any other connection.

Girl was infected. Due to close contact, the doll was covered with her germs. When the colonial took and kept the doll, either for sentimental reasons or because he was trying to figure out how it ended up in Caesar's cage, the germs passed to him and he became infected too.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Zeris posted:

That's why it makes for a poor explanation. It ignores how viruses work and how infections would spread, if this were the reason. The virus spreads through dolls, but a dad living in isolation never catches it from his daughter (he speaks to the apes, remember)? The soldiers are stupid enough to respond to 3 of their symptomatic friends by killing them and calling it a day -- no other form of quarantine? The colonel's big speech includes a note that "the same virus living in all of us survivors has mutated" which strongly implies there's another mechanism at play, like spontaneous evolution or whatever sci fi idea they'd need to justify all of the other oversights I just mentioned. Ok, I'll totally buy that the doll as the source was the plan. But they botched the implementation. Not sure why you are taking this personally.

Sure man, a virus strain that makes intelligent all species of ape, except humans which makes them dumber, is totally how viruses work.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Ape Agitator posted:

If I had a criticism of the movie, I wish the "work project" the apes were necessary for felt more likely to actually make a difference.

Me too. My hope was the wall was just a ruse and the real intent was to dig up an atom bomb that the colonial knew was stored underground there. It would have made a bigger connection with the alpha-omega name of the group... and an accidental (or purposeful) activation would provide a much more interesting end to the other humans than an avalanche.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
You could say he was a humanist (speciest?). There are strong parallels between Alpha Omega and white nationalism.

nelson fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 23, 2017

• Locked thread