Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The first two are really drat good and I'm surprised the series never got super huge.

I mean they do well but no one seems to talk about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

drat this was good. Hot, hot drat.

I rewatched the other two recently and I'm really struggling to think of a better Hollywood trilogy from the last decade.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

At the very least they stand tall next to each other. I'd actually say Apes is more consistent across its three films though.

I really loved the subtle revelation that all apes across the planet were affected by the virus spreading in the same way as Caesar's tribe. The other two don't definitively say whether it was only the apes that were directly infected/gassed (and their offspring) that gained intelligence.

jopo posted:

Was I the only one who thought when the northern army showed up and were all completely masked that they were going to take them off and be apes? The first Apes movie I saw was Tim Burtons so maybe it just brain damaged me enough to expect a big dumb twist

No but I really expected the dead soldiers to be apes when they ripped their masks off.

stev fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 26, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As a jew, I'm pretty surprised at how people see Caesar as christ and not Moses. I mean sure he gets crucified but his whole story in this film is a direct Moses analogue, especially his death and the scene where he confronts the camp guards. Then of course, if you still can't see the apes-as-jews metaphor, half of it takes place in a concentration camp complete with gorilla kapos and ss troopers.

He's 100% Moses but there's some Christ allegories too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ammanas posted:

The first Reeves movie was fun but flawed, the last 2 have taken themselves way too seriously and underplayed their premise.

Reeves only did the last two.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah he'll definitely be back, no way was he in the 99.99% of humanity that died in the plague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Maybe Maurice is Franco is an orangutan suit.

• Locked thread