Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
Finally saw this and loved every second of it. I'm an old fart Planet of the Apes fan, one of my favorite childhood toy memories was finding the Mego Planet of the Apes Treehouse still in the box at a garage sale for like 3 bucks. I love all the old planet of the apes stuff, the tv show, the marvel comics/magazines, you name it, I dug it back then.

And this trilogy has been incredible, I've loved them all. I think my favorite of the three was Dawn, as much as I liked Rise I like Matt Reeves a bit more. He's just got a visual style that I really enjoy, there's almost an atmospheric quality to his directin and Michael Seresin's camerawork in these last two films is really gorgeous. Also Dawn was the first planet of the apes film my wife had ever seen, knowing nothing about the films except seeing merchandise and poo poo for sale and it made her a huge fan instantly. One of the things I especially love about this trilogy of films is I went into everyone of them with cautious optimism, hoping for the best but also knowing it's a hell of a lot easier to make a bad planet of the apes film than a good one. Yet each time I came out of them not just satisfied that they lived up to my expectations but extremely happy that they exceeded them.

A few things I really dug that haven't seen brought up as much

The opening 20th Century Fox music played in the style of the vintage Jerry Goldsmith Apes score. Just right there at that opening and they had me.

Another key point in the Moses comparisons Caesar's death is very similar to Moses, leads his people across the desert to their new land but is not able to enter himself, instead he dies on a mountain overlooking it. Those final portrait shots with Caesar and Maurice I thought had a really iconic and quasi biblical feel to them, the most Ten Commandments like of the film.

I liked how understated both Caesar and The Colonel's deaths were, how subdued and quiet they both were presented, Colonel dying out of camera sight with a relatively quiet pop of his pistol followed by silence, Caesar losing strength and slowly sliding down into unconsciousness and death. The moment too where Caesar held the gun to the Colonels head really held me in suspense, I wasn't sure what he was going to do. I wanted to believe he'd do what he actually did, but as that moment carried on I really wasn't sure, his own admissions to becoming like Koba and the tension in that entire moment was communicated so well that I could have seen it going either way. In the end Caesar's humanity (for lack of better word) triumphed as I hoped it would. But for the duration of that entire confrontation I wasn't sure, and I really appreciated that.

Throughout this trilogy when given the choice between hitting the audience in the face or doing something quietly they choose the latter. I think that's another reason these films work so well as they do compared to others that have tried and failed. I can't wait to watch this again and really envy those of you who got to see a triple bill of all three in the theaters!

Sooper Gila fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
I've been thinking about this a lot too, where do the apes go from here?

They don't have to go straight to remaking the original film, if this follows the original timeline at all we've got at least a thousand to two thousand years of ape history to explore. Personally I'd like to see a film about the Lawgiver and the creations of the apes religion. We've seen apes with very human failings and so I think there's a lot to be said in that subject matter.

I'd honestly rather see a new tv series, even a reboot of the old TV series than a remake of the original film. Essentially Two astronauts and a heretic ape exploring the remains of the earth, finding more humans and ape settlements while being pursued by the original apes. The CGI might be cost prohibitive for a TV series, I don't have any idea but could always adapt this premise to films as well.

• Locked thread