Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

A thing I found interesting about the Colonel: he believes the virus causes humans to lose their higher faculties as well as their ability to speak which motivates his brutal "quarantining." But it's clear from Nova that this is not the case. She is perfectly capable of communication through sign language, and obviously retains her intelligence. Thus when he is affected by the virus and loses his speech, he realises his mind is still intact, and that therefore he didn't need to kill his son, and descends further into his alcoholism ultimately becoming suicidal. At least that was my interpretation, but I think it's more interesting than assuming the virus actually does just destroy the mind.

I find the depiction of gender in these films fascinating too, and I wonder how much of it is intentional. Apes have a "traditional" family structure with males as warriors and females in charge of children (although it's difficult to say whether all the fighter apes are male, certainly the only confirmed female apes Cornelia and Lake fit this description). Meanwhile, with the destruction of society humans seem to have retreated into uber-masculinity derived from their violent dominance over apes. There are perhaps two or three female soldiers in this movie, visible only during the Star-Spangled Banner scene where they are exactly the same as the male soldiers. And of course Nova represents the potential innocence still possible for humanity. I don't remember the other films well enough to say anything about them -- I remember the main female character of the first was James Franco's love interest, I don't remember any female characters from Dawn (did the main human guy in that have a daughter?). And in the original I know there were at least some female ape scientists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread