Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Totally loved this one. I'm a big Apes fan and the original Charlton Heston Apes is in the running for my favorite movie.

What I liked most about this one is that it never let Caesar off the hook. Dawn really challenged his worldview with Koba and they just hammered home not just the toll that Koba put on him but also made him recognize those existing tendencies in himself. Even after being given enough of a view that revenge and rage is self destructive to allow him to progress, the movie still doesn't let it go. It helps nail the loss he felt at the beginning and make it feel less like a cheap stunt to propel the plot.

I didn't like skinny Col Kurtz much at first but when they settled in to show his motivations and current concerns, it made all of the previous events seem less shallowly villainous. Once the movie made a surprising (at least to me) genre shift, his character works so much better.

If I had a criticism of the movie, I wish the "work project" the apes were necessary for felt more likely to actually make a difference. If I rewrote it, I would have had the avalanche be part of the plan all along and the apes would have been building protection for the fort/digging tunnels from that avalanche. It would have felt less DEM and as a work project would have felt more reasonable than expecting a mound of rock to stop a modern army. That said, forcing apes to be a labor force helps echo my second favorite original Apes series movie, Conquest.

Bad Ape was a great addition not only for a bit of humor among the bleak nature of a prison movie but also it gave some audible dialogue for the long stretches it would have been without them. It was a good creative decision without having to rob the rare moments of non-Caesar speech of their poignancy.

Also quite happy that the War wasn't actually Ape vs Human. It's extremely rare when a big CG battle scene actually feels like it matters because the scale always dwarfs any character connection you have. But they focused on one tiny and narrow element - protect the escaping Apes and make Caesar the sole person you need to empathize and really follow. Let the facelessness of the big War stay out of focus with faceless human beings. Super smart decision that didn't toss out all of the previous work for a big Ape v Human scuffle.

So great to have a trilogy of films so consistently well realized and executed. Great and relateable CG characters from Caesar, Maurice (those drat eyes are so mesmerizing), and Koba along with good motivation for the human actors. And if they make a future Apes movie with a similar perversion of Caesar's belief system, I'll feel quite angry about it.

So happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
It's also possible that he was not related but was an objector to the harsh sentence for the infected. They question whether he was a deserter but I thought, in retrospect, he might have just been trying to do the right thing. Of course, his reaction to the Apes was still violence first.
I didn't think much of their relationship but perhaps a general "caretaker" is a possibility. Ares definitely able to form relationships in her sick status so if she cared about him I think it would have shown. Admittedly me reading into it without any evidence though.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

The SituAsian posted:

Finally to sperg out a bit RE: Nova's doll if you actually care enough to explain how it infected the Colonel so quickly I would figure it would be because the doll probably had a bit of her saliva and/or blood on it so the thing would be crawling with mutated drat dirty ape flu

EDIT: Also did anyone else's audience go nuts over Bad Ape? I'm glad he didn't become mo-cap jar jar binks but for some reason the theater I was in went (ape poo poo) :downsrim: every time he said something.

There is a tiny bit of red on it that I noticed, which is eventually overshadowed by s lot of red by Woody's nose bled at the end.

And absolutely. He was the ray of comedy to offset the bleakness. The audience definitely needed it based on the reaction.

• Locked thread