Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I went to a double-feature of Rise and Dawn when Dawn came out at my local AMC. It was a blast, and I even won some prizes by winning a trivia thing in the intermission between films.

I hope AMC does a triple feature this year. If they do, I'm going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

got any sevens posted:

I googled and it was just one line he said in an interview.
http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1638319/woody-harrelson-asked-to-play-an-ape-in-planet-of-the-apes-but-they-werent-having-it

I haven't seen any of these new Apes movies, will I be lost with this new one?

I did see Beneath the Planet of the Apes, good movie, good ending.

We don't know how much this movie will lean on the other two, but I'd guess you'd be best served by watching the previous two.

Which you should do. Because they're great.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

BiggerBoat posted:

I got bored with it honestly. I absolutely loved Rise (and the original Charlton Heston film) but Dawn seemed to degenerate into too many action sequences and lacked the emotional investments that Rise gave us. By the end it was just violence and fighting. I admit it was very well made but it failed to hold my interest.

I feel like I didn't watch the same movie, because the final struggle vs Koba was really emotional.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Amc is doing a triple feature at some locations.

Today, starting at four pm. Im so excited.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

You should see this. It's a really good movie. However, I think it's just slightly less good than the previous two.

I went to a triple feature last night that showed all three movies: Rise, Dawn, and then War.

Rise is an incredibly human movie. The best and worst of humanity lead to the rise of the apes. James Franco's struggle to save his dad is ultimately responsible for Caesar's existence; the cruelty and greed of man (Jacobs, mostly) is responsible for Caesar's turn away from humanity to his own kind.

Rise is also the most tightly shot of the films. Every scene matters. Every line. Everything just ties together into this neat little package. It's so good.

Dawn is Caesar's best film. This movie really is all about him, and his character arc. His progression from naive chieftan to martyr to warrior-king is so well done. He learns to overcome his prejudices and learns that sometimes, others never will.

We also get some good character building for Blue Eyes, and Koba is a very powerful villain. Dawn is my favorite of the three, but just barely.

As for War, I never thought I'd see anovert Jesus allegory played out by apes. Caesar gets crucified, and eventually (super spoiler) dies from a stab wound to his side. His disciples take up his mantle, and there's even a Judas. There's even an exodus (which I know wasn't a thing Jesus did, but it really ties into the religious theme.) It was very well done, but it surprised me a lot.

I didn't like the Colonel as a villain. His motivation didn't make much sense, and we're told (not shown) what a badass he is. Bad Ape (the comic relief character) was hilarious, but also sort of...unnecessary? It was like if Dobby existed without a purpose.

Maurice stole the show in this one. If you're a big fan of Maurice, you're gonna love this. If you like Caesar making hard choices and being a badass, you'll love this.

But unlike the others, it has some flaws.

Final rating of the series:
Rise: 9/10
Dawn: 9/10
War: 8/10

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GonSmithe posted:

Where are the people who are not fans of Maurice so I can permaban them?

I wish I knew, but I fully support this endeavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm gonna catch Rise tonight and hopefully Dawn tomorrow so I can see this this weekend.

Is this supposed to be the last of a trilogy or are we going to get another movie with the planet finally being one of apes?

This is the last of a trilogy.

• Locked thread