Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Overall I thought it was really good, and am still kind of impressed that this iteration of the franchise became ALL about the apes with humans pushed as far to the periphery as the story will permit.
To be fair, 3/5 of the original series is about the apes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The claim that Nova killed the Colonel is functionally wrong because the Colonel misunderstands what's happening to the humans. Yes, some of their basic faculties like speech have been lost, but that doesn't mean what's made her human has been lost. It's not like Nova is just a complete animal. She's learns sign language pretty quickly, but beyond that she has maintained her humanity. In a lot of ways War is the first Apes sequel to get back to the message of the first film. The twist of the original movie isn't just that it was Earth all along. The twist is that the villainous apes aren't responsible for the dehumanization of humanity. Humanity did it all itself. In War, it's not the apes or even James Franco's disease that has destroyed humanity. It's fear, war, and hatred.

I think the thought of a fourth film is an interesting one. Honestly, up to this point, I feel like it's pretty easy to say that a version of the first film still happened as was depicted. The thing War introduces that really throws a wrench in this is the introduction of Nova and Cornelius in this film which somewhat suggests that we're supposed to assume that if or when the original story is retold, you won't get the big time jump.

I think the most interesting thing they could do is depict the fractures and segregation of ape society that we saw in the first film. Introducing Zaius as a villain would probably be a good move and make a good foil for a Cornelius trying to protect his father's legacy under the guidance of Maurice.

There's also the fact that the whole premise of the film gives an explanation for Beneath's mutants. It would be really fun if the next movie is just a Beneath remake and the new series remakes every movie besides the new ones.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

They don't have to change a whole lot with a remake but have to alter it enough to make it worth doing. I hope they avoid the stuff the original sequels did with all the underground mutants and poo poo. The foundation is already there (religion versus science, slavery, inequality, evolution, etc.) and they've done a great job setting it up with this trilogy.

Everybody knows the Statue of Liberty reveal so they have to come up with something different but equally as provocative. I'm sort of drawing a blank. Maybe set it in Egypt or something and have Taylor find the Sphinx.
Look son, if you told me when I was ten that in twenty years there would be a remake of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes and essentially a two part remake of Battle for the Planet of the Apes that are some of the best genre films to come out in the 21st century, I'd tell you that you were crazy. The mutants are sort of a sore thumb in the original series, but I think they actually would work pretty seamlessly into the current series. They would just be .001% of the human population who James Franco Disease worked as intended for. I think they also work as an interesting thematic extension to War. The mutants would be humans who have not only kept their faculties but had them increased only to lose their humanity regardless.

I think if they're going to retell Taylor's story, I think I would end it with him deciding to give and kiss adult Nova leading to him "de-evolving." The ultimate smug and entitled human giving in to nature and accepting the world doesn't revolve around him/humans.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

What are you on about now? Your post was sort of all over the place. Are you lecturing me or making a personal wish list? Or both? I can't really tell.
I'm saying that the super intelligent humans actually make sense since the whole inciting incident of the first film was about a virus that' originally makes humans smarter. And they'd support War's themes about what makes us human.

Not trying to be rude.

And also yeah, I think there's a news report about Taylor's mission and a newspaper article about losing contact.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I guess if you HAD to introduce the mutant underground poo poo that's a good way to go and approach it and it makes sense but, man, did that ever gently caress up Beneath the Planet of the Apes and ruin the awesomeness of the original for me when I was a kid first watching it. I could do without it, especially for what looks like a full on remake of one of the best science fiction movies ever made.
I get you, and I had a similar experience. Beneath is just a generic bad sci/fi movie that feels like it was made ten years earlier whereas the original felt revolutionary.

But part of what I was saying is that Dawn and War are basically a two part remake for Battle and they're amazing. I have enough faith in the series to see them spinning gold out of some of the ideas from Beneath.

• Locked thread