Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
everyone following politics now should read Timothy Crouse's Boys on the Bus since everyone has already read Nixon Agonistes

amazing how, despite the changes in technology, a lot remains the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

but if we're doing fiction i will recommend Alaa Al Asany's The Yacoubian Building follows characters living in a once-wealthy apartment complex in modern Cairo and shows how intersecting economic, social and institutional oppressions profoundly affects their lives

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

You're certainly welcome to pitch it formally so it can be voted on

"This book holds a very special place in my heart...I guess you could say have a crush on it, a primitive sort of love that feels almost like parenthood and borders, perhaps, on lust"

-HST

baw
Nov 5, 2008

ok i will add just one more, Amin Malouf's Samarkand. best novel i read in 2016, follows the story of an illustrated manuscript of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam. learn about court life in 11th century Persia, the foundation of the assassins by Hassan-i Sabbah, and the exploits of Omar Khayyam himself. and that's just the first half

baw
Nov 5, 2008

hasn't everyone already read Candide

baw
Nov 5, 2008

i guess i lucked out finding a copy for 50 cents at a garage sale when i was younger. then a couple years later i had to read it again for a college class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

i never read anna karenina because the back of the book literally spoiled the ending which is why i never read the back of books anymore. or forwards

gently caress the idiots who decide to put spoilers in the book descriptions even if it's an older book, gently caress them right to hell

• Locked thread