Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Cool thread, don't know if I'll participate because I resolved to read more of my own book collection this year but if I see something I recognize I'll drop in.

Mentioned it in the TRUMP thread but right now I'm Voltaire's Candide and it's pretty timely for the current state of our world. Namely, bad poo poo will happen to one character, another character will say "actually, this is good"/"this is fine", and the main character will put up a thinking face emoji. It's real short too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

P much

baw posted:

hasn't everyone already read Candide

I hadn't until now and that's with a four-year ~liberal arts~ degree.

Also my high school was big enough and in a good enough school district that different English teachers could and would assign different books. For example quite a few of my friends had to read Of Mice and Men but I didn't end up in a class that read it.

E: Got Candide from raiding a friend's library when she moved, also picked up 1984 and Brave New World in that go, and have a digital copy of It Can't Happen Here so I'm set on the fascism classics.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I read Slaughterhouse Five for the first time a couple months ago and felt wholly unaffected by it, someone tell me how I'm supposed to feel after reading that book.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Epic High Five posted:

I think I got them all but I may have missed it. Please yell at me next round and I will put it at the top

Yo you missed my Candide post but I guess I didn't explicitly say it was a recommendation. Throw it on the pile for next round I guess, no biggie.

• Locked thread