Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

Gladiator at Law is about a Libertarian paradise where all court cases are broadcast world wide and at least one of them involves dudes ice-skating with battle axes at one another.
I read this. It's good, solid scifi.

Heart of a Dog by Mikhail Bulgakov is about a doctor who replaces the testes and pituitary gland of a stray dog with those of a petty criminal. The dog transforms into a person and a gigantic pain in the rear end. Russian class satire by way of Frankenstein.

His Master's Voice by Stanislaw Lem. The memoir of a mathematician that describes his time on the project 'His Master's Voice'; the attempt to decode what appears to be an alien message.

Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett. This is purestrain noir. The nameless protagonist is called to Personville and everything goes to hell before he even gets there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Speed-reader: http://spritzinc.com/

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Finally got my copy (fygm).

Now I just have to learn to read.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Goddamnit, I have the interest, but the time went to poo poo. I'm still planning on reading it. Maybe leave the thread open and have a rolling discussion as progression warrants?

Baloogan posted:

thread reopened for low energy discussion

I liked this paragraph

We will use the slang term stiob to refer to the ironic aesthetic practiced by groups such as the Mit’ki and necrorealists. Stiob was a peculiar form of irony that differed from sarcasm, cynicism, derision, or any of the more familiar genres of absurd humor. It required such a degree of overidentification with the object, person, or idea at which this stiob was directed that it was often impossible to tell whether it was a form of sincere support, subtle ridicule, or a peculiar mixture of the two. The practitioners of stiob themselves refused to draw a line between these sentiments, producing an incredible combination of seriousness and irony, with no suggestive signs of whether it should be interpreted as the former or the latter, refusing the very dichotomy between the two.

For some reason, this puts me in mind of Stewart Lee.

• Locked thread