Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?
I will make a suggestion that I don't expect to be popular but I'm making it for selfish reasons anyway, so whatevs: Tolstoy's Anna Karenina.
I feel like I can't really explain the plot without spoiling it, but it's basically turn-of-the-century Russian melodrama, I guess? It's real good if you're into that sort of thing. (And in this political climate why wouldn't you be???)

Aside from the fact that there just something stylistic about a lot of Russian literature that I just really enjoy, I read Anna Karenina when I was about 16 and I HATED the titular character for being dumb and weak and whiny. However; I liked the book as a whole, and now that I'm an old, and my views on things have become more nuanced (and 1000% more feminist) I think it would be interesting to revisit the book and see if my interpretation of things changes. Of course, it would be even more fun to do that with a posse of nerds on the internet, so I'm throwing it out there for your consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

cda posted:

I just finished reading Anna Karenina yesterday and I loved it and I didn't think Anna was dumb, weak, or whiny.

Excellent! I am sure that my opinion of her would be vastly different now, so I may just go ahead and re-read it anyway sometime in the near future.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Oh dang I nearly missed all the voting! Stupid work/school trip keeping me too busy to read all my internets :argh:

• Locked thread