Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Devil in the white city owned, good one from eonwe.

My rec is Big Dead Place, a candid series of funny stories and journals on working in Antarctica from a janitor. Also available on audible for those of us that listen to our books.

It's one part drunken sex in a shack, one part fruitless raging against government backed corporate structures, one part threatening your lovely boss, one part figuring out how to store frozen piss, and three parts laughing at the futility of it all. The book is insanely C-SPAM.

Coolguye has issued a correction as of 07:15 on Apr 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i still find jane eyre a self-centered jerk as an adult

e: also that all of the bronte sisters are extremely grating to read

Coolguye has issued a correction as of 16:50 on Apr 17, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

my sister took a speed-reading class a couple of years back and according to her it actually helped. apparently the majority of the material they were slated to absorb were nonfiction and technical manuals so i'm not sure how well it would translate to reading novels or biographies, but you could doubtlessly look up a bunch of the techniques online if you wanted to work with it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

I've gathered from my research into "how did Teddy Roosevelt read so goddamned much despite everything else he did" that one of the big secrets to quickly reading fiction and biographies and the like is to skip the fluff. For books where you enjoy the fluff, there may be no alternatives

Of course just reading a whole bunch speeds you up naturally I'd imagine so maybe that's my best bet. Next I'm going to try listening to music to kill subvocalizing because the 1-2-3-4 counting in my head method is too distracting
personally, listening to audiobooks was what really transformed my reading world. everyone has lots of transit time nowadays, whether it be in a car or on a bus/train, and listening to audiobooks fits perfectly into any lifestyle that has those delays. it's not like you can do anything more interesting than read a good book during your commute or your time running errands. what's your alternatives, listen to pandora for the hottest recommendations from teenyboppers or listen to NPR give the millionth "truth is in the middle" naval gaze report? please. like, my rec for the book club is 274 pages in paperback, but 11 and a half hours on audio form. i consumed the entire book, sans an appendix that is nothing more than the AIM transcript of a catfishing prank, in a week and a half just because i could listen to it when driving, when cleaning, when mowing the lawn, etc. i required no opportunistic quiet, lazy afternoons or rainy evenings where things got cancelled to get it done. it's really a hilariously straight win to simply find so much time to enrich your life with stories and language.

obviously there are some books that don't translate over to the medium very well, but most do.

Coolguye has issued a correction as of 17:36 on Apr 17, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

all readers are welcome friend :beerpal:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

drat, doesn't look like two of the three main front runners are available in audiobook form. anatomy of fascism is, but the others are not. big shame on the last soviet generation, too, that one looks like an interesting sociological study that a body could take some relatable lessons from.

also, i am gonna keep recommending big dead place until we read it. seriously, that book is so c-spam it must be read here.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Thatim posted:

Started reading, lets see if i can keep up. I like the subject, but since it is not really my field of expertise, i am not sure i can discuss much about it.

But we will see. Good initiative :)

a lot of the most valuable contributions to a book club are simply different perspectives and interpretations of the same passages. it encourages other readers to understand other points of view. even if you discard those points of view as superfluous or uninteresting 15 minutes later, it still is a big deal for the overall value extracted from the book to have at least considered them.

i've got it on my kindle, hoping i can find a quiet afternoon to read soon but i'm not holding my breath with how my last few weeks have gone. even if i can't read it, i'll be following ya'll's discussions closely :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Well nobody showed, including the person who recommended the book, so I'm going to conclude that interest in CSPAM book club isn't actually there. Hopefully you guys enjoyed the book who ended up reading it.

+Klout points to all those who predicted that nobody would end up participating

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllls

well maybe we can try again in a month or two when ostensibly people have reset. i wasn't able to join this particular book but i've bookmarked this thread for a reason.

• Locked thread