Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

its a pretty interesting book about some people who drown and other people who do not

kinda a generational tale about marstal, a town in denmark, that goes from the first schleswig war in the mid 1800s to the end of ww2

eonwe posted:

Oh! Two more.

Devil in the White City

by the same author, so its just as well written, but it's about william dodd, a kinda frumpy rural dork who becomes the ambassador to germany from 1933 to 1937 and witnesses the rise of the nazi party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
grant's memoirs are publicly available and also very good, though he doesn't write for anyone who isn't familiar with the people and places involved so it might be a good idea to read a biography first to get familiar

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Epic High Five posted:

I was probably too firm in my admonition to not just recommend dense scifi tomes but I'm not sad. There's good stuff of all types out there and this may expose people to some new and fun things

I just started Foundation last night after having read through the whole arc up through this and he never ceases to surprise me at how engaged I can become in novels that are little more than people chatting in various offices

have you ever read his short story pate de foie gras?

imo its peak asimov

ed: lmao the ocr for this sucks but the story is still good

mormonpartyboat has issued a correction as of 17:56 on Apr 17, 2017

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i presumed itd burn out before we get the first one to read so im just sharing things

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Epic High Five posted:

With enough participants we can survive a high attrition rate

I just hope the first pick ends up being something not terrible that scares people away

i submit

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
do i have to read it or can i just use it as a marital aid and write a review

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i just read it and thought itw as ok OP

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
the book should be in tomorrow yee

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
im reading this book

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
so far its p interesting even tho its also Why I Hate Academic Writing Dot Text

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

deadgoon posted:

how every great Cause works after the initial revolutionary fervor burns out: the common people think, "i'm just a normal person loving around having fun, it's the Party members who are super serious about this poo poo", and the elites think, "i'm just a normal person loving around having fun, it's the People who are super serious about this poo poo"

also, paintball teams

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Epic High Five posted:

Good news then, because it's tonight at 9pm, not tomorrow. I may be late so start without me, I'm being tapped to help set up tech stuff for a big event

well thats no good because im dead from some kind of flu at the moment and i barely trust myself enough to go down the stairs to get water

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i might feel up to writing a bunch of ~words~ about it tomorrow, or it might get pushed to the weekend depending on how my everything feels

i did enjoy it and almost finished it but im about to go take my fifth shower of the day so

• Locked thread