Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

eonwe posted:

Its funny, I assumed this would be 90% Scifi, so I purposely didn't really recommend any, and there hasn't been a whole ton of it recommended period.

I would certainly recommend Last Call by Tim Powers if modern day, weird sci-fi is your thing (like Twin Peaks, or the X-Files without aliens).

It's the story of a man whom was raised by a wizard in 1960s Las Vegas and got rescued from his abusive wizard-dad before wizard-dad could completely consume his ego and supplant himself into the protagonist's body. Now an adult, the dude has:

- a dead wife that haunts him as a ghost and may actually be the physical personification of death
- a friend with cancer that believes he can literally create his own luck by mentally processing incredibly complex calculus problems
- a step-sister the protagonist totally wants to bang who is possibly the reincarnation of The Goddess here on Earth
- a step-dad who is also a wizard and casts spells via the medium of playing hands of poker

The central conflict is wizard-dad making a final play to possess the protagonist's body at the world series of poker.

If you're at all familiar with Unknown Armies, this book is the best Unknown Armies fiction ever written that has nothing to do with Unknown Armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread