Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

MinibarMatchman posted:

each Jason skin has specific traits?

They all have the same skills but different ones have bonuses or handicaps to certain skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MinibarMatchman posted:

each Jason skin has specific traits?

Nothing major, but each Jason had small buffs or debuffs, for instance one Jason couldn't sprint at all, but he was faster than the others when it came to walking under the water. None of the traits were major enough and I don't think there was one Jason that was objectively better than the others so it was all preference. Pretty sweet.

Also, the sleeping bag kill was apparently in the beta, you have to kill a counselor that was hiding in a tent which I never saw anyone do. I love that poo poo though.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
and unique kills. :viggo:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

s.i.r.e. posted:

Nothing major, but each Jason had small buffs or debuffs, for instance one Jason couldn't sprint at all, but he was faster than the others when it came to walking under the water. None of the traits were major enough and I don't think there was one Jason that was objectively better than the others so it was all preference. Pretty sweet.

Also, the sleeping bag kill was apparently in the beta, you have to kill a counselor that was hiding in a tent which I never saw anyone do. I love that poo poo though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1vp5ENvWBI&t=1048s

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

I watched a gameplay video with the axe-wielding Jason who could not only run, but cause "VHS" glitches and teleport, so I assume that's his special quality

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

MinibarMatchman posted:

I watched a gameplay video with the axe-wielding Jason who could not only run, but cause "VHS" glitches and teleport, so I assume that's his special quality

They can all do the teleport, its on a longer cooldown for some of them I believe.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
That's the shift, I think.

On a different note the trailer music is great, but it's impossible to find it without the game audio. :argh:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Cuntellectual posted:

That's the shift, I think.

On a different note the trailer music is great, but it's impossible to find it without the game audio. :argh:

Only a corporate sellout would want you to be able to find and listen to their music.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have the head spinning Jason 2 kill as a GIF? That one where he spins the head around till it pops off? That one was my favorite.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmuQlmAIq5s

got me that sweet, sweet backer jason skin. wisps of hellfire and satan's pitchfork, good stuff

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

gently caress yeah.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
how much tweaking of stuff was done during beta? i keep watching videos that have even jasons with a sense weakness spotting auras from halfway across the map, while the very next video there's a sense strength jason who can't seem to see people one camp over.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

HMMMMMMMMMMMM this looks pretty slick. However, so did For Honor and ohohohoho fool me once video games. We shall have to see.

Seven victims against one Jason seems like it would be initially very chaotic and/or stacked in the former's favor since at least one or two can work on an escape objective while the J-Man chews through people. Would you say there's an ideal number of people for a match?

Also would you say that either side has a lot of potential for cheesing things if they really know what they're doing? I immediately think of hook camping in Dead by Daylight.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 20, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

One of the gameplay videos I've watched had some self important streamer dicklicker explaining how the fast black girl could evade Jason forever by running in circles around a car during one build but from the looks of things they updated it later so if your fear is too high you have a chance of stumbling. It's hard to say for sure though, haven't actually found any patch notes of stuff so I'm going off old posts.

I wouldn't worry that much about dumb streamer tricks, even DbD's team, as indecisive and naval gazing as they are, fixed that stuff fairly quickly. I'd focus more on the number of mechanics and their interactions. That currently shows a fair bit of thought and love.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

FunkMonkey posted:

HMMMMMMMMMMMM this looks pretty slick. However, so did For Honor and ohohohoho fool me once video games. We shall have to see.

Seven victims against one Jason seems like it would be initially very chaotic and/or stacked in the former's favor since at least one or two can work on an escape objective while the J-Man chews through people. Would you say there's an ideal number of people for a match?

Also would you say that either side has a lot of potential for cheesing things if they really know what they're doing? I immediately think of hook camping in Dead by Daylight.

I was hesitant to talk about balance until we see changes upon release since beta. Since they added traps, throwing knives, auto-enrage, and stalk to Jason - the balance should shift a bit to his favor compared to Beta.

Generally speaking, the game is balanced for 1v7, the Devs have stated that the ideal is you have one, maybe two people surviving the match on average. In other words, you are likely going to die. In beta it wasn't uncommon to have Jason do a clean sweep, or to have the cops called early and only 1 or 2 people die.

This game is NOT the same as DbD where there are infinite loop spots or places to otherwise cheese Jason infinitely. His abilities and overall power compared to the Counselors prevent that.

When Jason is nearby, you ARE NOT SAFE.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Regardless of whether people complain about it. I think it's the best thing ever that Jason has an ability designed to mimic the classic jump scare of the slasher just magically showing up behind a victim after they run from him for awhile and think they're safe.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

FunkMonkey posted:

Regardless of whether people complain about it. I think it's the best thing ever that Jason has an ability designed to mimic the classic jump scare of the slasher just magically showing up behind a victim after they run from him for awhile and think they're safe.

I'm going to turn stalk on and hide in the closet next to the phone. Welcome to your NES childhood nightmare.

Chad: "Hello?! Is this the police? Jason is..."
*Jason bursts through door*
911 Operator: "Sir, sir I need you to speak up. Please stop gurgling into the phone... sir?"

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

She ran at the wrong pitch and really forked up her escape plan!

get it?!

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Kelp Plankton posted:

got me that sweet, sweet backer jason skin. wisps of hellfire and satan's pitchfork, good stuff

Yeah, Tinfoil was making fun of people saying shift is overpowered, but I really don't think I'd want Jason to be able to shift directly inside a building and into line of sight of someone and within melee range. Call it OP or not, it's not even the kind of killer Jason is. He's good at being present everywhere and pursuing people, but he doesn't explicitly teleport in the movies. It's a supernatural kind of presence, not some kind of x-man bullshit.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, it's like Left 4 Dead. You can't spawn where the survivors could see you, because that'd be dumb and would break the illusion.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Skyscraper posted:

Yeah, Tinfoil was making fun of people saying shift is overpowered, but I really don't think I'd want Jason to be able to shift directly inside a building and into line of sight of someone and within melee range. Call it OP or not, it's not even the kind of killer Jason is. He's good at being present everywhere and pursuing people, but he doesn't explicitly teleport in the movies. It's a supernatural kind of presence, not some kind of x-man bullshit.

In theory, you could jump into a cabin this way, but in practice it happens and looks a lot different. It's not common that Jason will just "pop" in front of you using shift - it's mostly used for chasing or juking someone who's trying to clown around a car or fence.

It's also more difficult to control that it would seem, you'd have to be pretty slick to enter a cabin and navigate between the rooms.

Not to mention, what are you doing in a cabin, with the door wide open / busted down, just sitting there, when Jason is nearby? You're dying, that's what.

I'll definitely agree it's the least in line with the Jason "theme" but it does work well in-game and is a necessary part of Jason's kit. I expect, given that they've added throwing knives and traps, that it will take a nerf from what it was in beta.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I love Jason's rage mode, nothing like bursting through a door like the kool-aid man.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

In theory, you could jump into a cabin this way, but in practice it happens and looks a lot different. It's not common that Jason will just "pop" in front of you using shift - it's mostly used for chasing or juking someone who's trying to clown around a car or fence.

Well, it's not just theory, it happens in that video I quoted. Like Bogart is saying, it should use the L4D rules for not respawning in LOS to a player. Also it seems like the survivor should have broken free, with the progress bar?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmuQlmAIq5s&t=53s

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I meant like in real games, this was obviously staged to show off the kill.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I meant like in real games, this was obviously staged to show off the kill.

Oh, ok, I didn't realize that. I guess I was expecting to see a staged video from Jason's perspective, and didn't think enough about that.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Skyscraper posted:

Like I said previously, I think it's just an ingame ability to be evocative of that classic horror movie jumpscare where the killer just suddenly appears behind the victim after they think he's been juked. Not sure it's supposed to be him literally teleporting. This even happens in some of the Jason films.

Edit: this basically, sorry for tv tropes type link but it illustrates what I mean.

http://allthetropes.wikia.com/wiki/Offscreen_Teleportation

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 20, 2017

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

FunkMonkey posted:

Like I said previously, I think it's just an ingame ability to be evocative of that classic horror movie jumpscare where the killer just suddenly appears behind the victim after they think he's been juked. Not sure it's supposed to be him literally teleporting. This even happens in some of the Jason films.

Edit: this basically, sorry for tv tropes type link but it illustrates what I mean.

http://allthetropes.wikia.com/wiki/Offscreen_Teleportation
Yes, I too have seen a Friday the 13th movie. Like I said earlier

Skyscraper posted:

He's good at being present everywhere and pursuing people, but he doesn't explicitly teleport in the movies. It's a supernatural kind of presence
The movies aren't so artless as to ever directly raise the question "did he just teleport?", it's expressed more abstractly as "how are they being chased by someone who only ever walks everywhere?" (in the case of non-running Jasons)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

guys what if jason is pepe le pew

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Coolguye posted:

guys what if jason is pepe le pew

He just wanted to love. With or without permission.

Also, apparently each Jason will have their own chase music in-game! https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/855095589016662019

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Also, apparently each Jason will have their own chase music in-game! https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/855095589016662019

This is great. I love that they got Manfredini back to score it.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

The items were randomly placed in lootable objects, which were mostly drawers, cabinets, etc. Weapons were found on set pieces in various spots, bear traps, batteries, and gas were found on the floor.

You could memorize where the lootable cabinets were going to be, I guess, but the item distribution was so random there's no way to reliably get something you want. You could come out of a cabin with literally nothing - or the car keys, 2 pocketknives, and a gas can. One notable exception, and the only thing that I found worth memorizing, were the two spots the shotgun was found.

All in all, it's more important to know what you're looking for rather than where everything might be.

The difficulty comes in when you are approaching mid game. You entered a cabin which someone was clearly in previously. Do you re-search everything to see if they missed something, or do you trust that they were competent in their search? More often than not, you could find things they missed.

Apparently I got this wrong, devs have stated drawers now stay open once looted.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Skyscraper posted:

Yes, I too have seen a Friday the 13th movie. Like I said earlier

The movies aren't so artless as to ever directly raise the question "did he just teleport?", it's expressed more abstractly as "how are they being chased by someone who only ever walks everywhere?" (in the case of non-running Jasons)

https://youtu.be/hdi923NG-HE

Anyway, even if the shift thing is a little on the nose, what would you recommend as a potential replacement that would not be as blatant while still giving that advantage? He obviously needs something to close the gap with speedier characters.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

It's also more difficult to control that it would seem, you'd have to be pretty slick to enter a cabin and navigate between the rooms.

Not to mention, what are you doing in a cabin, with the door wide open / busted down, just sitting there, when Jason is nearby? You're dying, that's what.

I'll definitely agree it's the least in line with the Jason "theme" but it does work well in-game and is a necessary part of Jason's kit. I expect, given that they've added throwing knives and traps, that it will take a nerf from what it was in beta.

Yeah, you've got to have it when you really break it down in a full 7v1 match.

Matches last 20 minutes a piece. Any counselor left alive when the clock hits zero has won. That gives Jason a little under 3 minutes to spend on each counselor...and once you add Tommy that figure drops to about 2:30.

That's honestly not a ton of time. The game seems deliberately designed to make it so that you're probably going to see at least a handful of deaths in a match, but a 100 percent full-counselor-wipe will require more skill.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

FunkMonkey posted:

Anyway, even if the shift thing is a little on the nose, what would you recommend as a potential replacement that would not be as blatant while still giving that advantage? He obviously needs something to close the gap with speedier characters.

Exactly what people said, do it Left 4 Dead style.

Have it work like this: Say a counselor is running away, but they're out in the open so they have line of sight all around them in third-person (or looking over shoulder, etc.). Jason can't shift into anywhere they have line of sight. So, you don't make it a weird "warped vision and fly around" thing, and you don't visibly teleport. Make it like you just disappear entirely (but maybe have a minimum distance where you can initialize it), and move at just over counselor speed, and you remain invisible for a limited time. In order to head a counselor off you actually have to find a hiding spot ahead of where they're running, and then time it so you can come out and attack them. You could still miss, but it gives you a fighting chance and it'd also be more startling and less immersion breaking.

Another added benefit of that method is it doesn't make Jason OP. Because right now he can shift straight into a direct melee attack and that's pretty cheap.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

They should give counselors a dodge roll type move where they can avoid a shifting Jason's attack but make it each a chunk of stamina.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

s.i.r.e. posted:

They should give counselors a dodge roll type move where they can avoid a shifting Jason's attack but make it each a chunk of stamina.

Or just stop running in a straight / predictable path once Jason telegraphs that he's shifting. :shrug:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
God I'm glad I bought that Savini Jason. If they're being honest about it being a backer reward, this is going to be super rare and you're going to be in demand for Jason.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
The devs must be some seriously twisted freaks to come up with some of these kills, they probably had a rough time in high sch.......

https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/854346569331748865

:eyepop:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Well now that they're paying attention...

Mr./Ms./Mrs. Developer Persons, I request that you follow For Honor's example and have a counselor kill where Jason just sits on a counselor until they are crushed. I will also accept a suplex kill.

Like no joke I will give you a donation if you give me a unique kill that lets me just go around grabbing teens and vertical suplexing them into an early grave.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I request a Lowtax counselor / Jason skin.

• Locked thread