Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Looks like camp is opening unexpectedly early this year kids! Crystal Lake will be open for business on MAY 26th!

https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/855522236928839681

WOOOO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Please say this is worldwide this maybe the first game I buy on opening day

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Gaz2k21 posted:

Please say this is worldwide this maybe the first game I buy on opening day

I *think* so - they haven't specified yet

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

It's not too late developers, you can still have Vorhees wrasslin' people into submission while ghost mom cheers him on. DO IT.

Looks fun. Look forward to loving up like I usually do at these things.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

figured single player wouldnt be on launch but this looks like everything I wanted Evolve to be, including the option to have loving parties with your friends for both Jason and camp counselors, which Evolve inexplicably did not allow.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

MinibarMatchman posted:

figured single player wouldnt be on launch but this looks like everything I wanted Evolve to be, including the option to have loving parties with your friends for both Jason and camp counselors, which Evolve inexplicably did not allow.

:psyduck: The more I hear about Evolve's launch, the more it baffles me. Its amazing how they had a great concept for a game and completely loving blew it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
2k forced monetization and eSports. Which sucked, because it was a fun game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

1stGear posted:

:psyduck: The more I hear about Evolve's launch, the more it baffles me. Its amazing how they had a great concept for a game and completely loving blew it.

The game had one of the scummiest DLC practices ever.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
So is there an option to have sex during the game so you can be killed during sex, just like the movies?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Wandle Cax posted:

So is there an option to have sex during the game so you can be killed during sex, just like the movies?

Long version:
http://www.maxim.com/entertainment/friday-13th-game-2015-10

Short version:
Makes no sense in their scenario, costs too much, and you're a pervert.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I still love the little push that Jason does after the Machete evisceration.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Makes no sense in their scenario, costs too much, and you're a pervert.

Yeah you fuckin sicko. Anyway, back to the murder simulator chat

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

bunky posted:

Yeah you fuckin sicko. Anyway, back to the murder simulator chat

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
From my totally normal level of obsessiveness, I noted the following from the latest trailer:

Jason VI weaknesses:
  • Defense
  • Can't Run
  • Morph
*Strength which can be seen appears to be "(something) throwing knives" My guess is either extra or starts game with them rather than having to find.

Jason VIII weaknesses:
  • Sense
  • Can't run
  • Grip Strength

Jason IX weaknesses:
  • Can't run
  • Less hit points (?)
  • Morph

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I'm going to turn stalk on and hide in the closet next to the phone. Welcome to your NES childhood nightmare.

Chad: "Hello?! Is this the police? Jason is..."
*Jason bursts through door*
911 Operator: "Sir, sir I need you to speak up. Please stop gurgling into the phone... sir?"

I'm okay with the Tom Savini skin being a crowdfunding exclusive if the Steam preorder exclusive is an NES-style skin.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

McSpanky posted:

I'm okay with the Tom Savini skin being a crowdfunding exclusive if the Steam preorder exclusive is an NES-style skin.

NES Jason is legit the scariest Jason has ever been so I'm cool with this.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

ComposerGuy posted:

NES Jason is legit the scariest Jason has ever been so I'm cool with this.

With the addition of "Stalk," entering a cabin and having Jason unexpectedly appear inside is a legit possibility.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Jason's teleport looks way more accurate than I thought it would be. You seem to be able to basically drop right on people with it.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

That's good IMO, my biggest fear for this game is that it ends up like assassin's creed multi where good hunted can clown on hunters all day.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

What would single player in this even look like?

OxMan posted:

That's good IMO, my biggest fear for this game is that it ends up like assassin's creed multi where good hunted can clown on hunters all day.

I'm the opposite, I'm worried it'll be like DbD where there's basically no point in playing if the killer has the slightest idea what they're doing.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Seriously can't wait for the game, but super bummed I didn't get the chance to pick up the alternate counselor clothes pack in time :(

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cuntellectual posted:

I'm guessing either themed Jason vs. AI counselor sessions or you play as a counselor and get some kind of broad control over the others, basic directions like "Jenny, try to get the car started!" and survive against AI Jason.

Either way, I hope we get a boat or Manhattan map for Jason VIII. The Predator 2 map that came with AVP Gold way back in the day was pretty sweet.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Cuntellectual posted:

I'm the opposite, I'm worried it'll be like DbD where there's basically no point in playing if the killer has the slightest idea what they're doing.

Devs have stated the SP update will be in Summer - featuring AI counselors vs you as Jason. There may be themed maps here, or scenarios from the movie, I would think.

If your team has good coordination, skilled players, good aim, and a fair bit of luck, you have a decent shot at surviving. (You probably will not have these things)

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
The game seems designed around the idea that, all other things being equal (player competence, etc.), matches end with a couple of survivors.

It isn't "If Jason doesn't kill literally everyone he loses", it's degrees of winning or losing, with 100 percent kill rates as a "perfect" victory and thus rare.

Rightfully so I think. There's always at least one survivor in the movies after all.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

ComposerGuy posted:

The game seems designed around the idea that, all other things being equal (player competence, etc.), matches end with a couple of survivors.

It isn't "If Jason doesn't kill literally everyone he loses", it's degrees of winning or losing, with 100 percent kill rates as a "perfect" victory and thus rare.

Rightfully so I think. There's always at least one survivor in the movies after all.

The counselor "Jenny" is somewhat designed around this - having extremely high luck and composure. She is designed to be the lone hero at the end, who evades him, makes a daring / close escape, or lands a clutch hit.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ComposerGuy posted:

this is ostensibly the idea in dead by daylight as well but the reality of the situation in that game was that if the killer can catch one survivor with anything resembling efficiency, a clean sweep is guaranteed. it's pretty reasonable for DbD vets to be wary of the imbalances with how blatantly screwy it was in that game.

that said, this game has a couple of critical differences. jason takes a good 5 minutes, a quarter of the maximum time for the match, to unlock his nastiest trick (shift), and something closer to 8 to reach full power. survivors have a minimap that can show the position of their allies. a sensible voice chat feature is in on day one. it is possible and reasonable to actually impede and affect the killer. the maps are much, much larger. i'm entirely positive that as a survivor you'll run into a lot of situations where your situation is doomed and you can juke all you like, you will not escape Jason unless the player makes a big mistake. i've already seen a half-dozen such situations in youtube footage. the key difference between the impression I get from F13 and DbD, though, is that this doomed situation is not ubiquitous. in DbD if you get spotted by the killer, you are done, one hundred percent cooked unless the killer is a bonehead. in F13 if you get killed in the first five minutes that is one hundred percent on you, and even after that point you have a couple of options, albeit poorer ones.

at this point the only major balance change i think i would make is to itemize some anti-anxiety meds or something to effectively do to fear what a first aid spray does to health. stealth, after it's blown, seems incredibly difficult to re-acquire and something that would simply zero your fear after you've gotten away from direct LOS would help evade sense.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Coolguye posted:

this is ostensibly the idea in dead by daylight as well but the reality of the situation in that game was that if the killer can catch one survivor with anything resembling efficiency, a clean sweep is guaranteed. it's pretty reasonable for DbD vets to be wary of the imbalances with how blatantly screwy it was in that game.

that said, this game has a couple of critical differences. jason takes a good 5 minutes, a quarter of the maximum time for the match, to unlock his nastiest trick (shift), and something closer to 8 to reach full power. survivors have a minimap that can show the position of their allies. a sensible voice chat feature is in on day one. it is possible and reasonable to actually impede and affect the killer. the maps are much, much larger. i'm entirely positive that as a survivor you'll run into a lot of situations where your situation is doomed and you can juke all you like, you will not escape Jason unless the player makes a big mistake. i've already seen a half-dozen such situations in youtube footage. the key difference between the impression I get from F13 and DbD, though, is that this doomed situation is not ubiquitous. in DbD if you get spotted by the killer, you are done, one hundred percent cooked unless the killer is a bonehead. in F13 if you get killed in the first five minutes that is one hundred percent on you, and even after that point you have a couple of options, albeit poorer ones.

at this point the only major balance change i think i would make is to itemize some anti-anxiety meds or something to effectively do to fear what a first aid spray does to health. stealth, after it's blown, seems incredibly difficult to re-acquire and something that would simply zero your fear after you've gotten away from direct LOS would help evade sense.

The OP lists ways to reduce fear - which worked well in Beta. People always forgot to turn their flashlights on, wandered off wherever alone constantly, and never prioritized turning lights back on. Basically, they ignored the things they *could* have done to reduce fear, in favor of panicking like they were an actual idiot in a horror movie.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Watching the footage, part of the motivation for never hitting the lights is probably so Jason doesn't notice what buildings are/have been occupied while the counselors root around. The tendency for them to cheese it into the woods or otherwise out in the open was still surprising. Maybe being witnessed entering a building is a death sentence due to a lack of reliable outs?

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 25, 2017

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

FunkMonkey posted:

The tendency for them to cheese it into the woods or otherwise out in the open was still surprising. Maybe being witnessed entering a building is a death sentence due to a lack of reliable outs?

I dunno, I feel like inside is exactly where you want to be oftentimes when Jason spots you just because he has much more limited use of his powers in that situation. He can't morph into a building directly, and his shift is too unwieldy to use inside such tight spaces reliably.

I think pre-rage (so like, the first half of a match) being inside is far and away more preferable when being chased. Locking doors buys you a lot of time, you can trap entrances and if its a big enough cabin, even give Jason the slip more easily because his sense ability only lights up a cabin your inside, not your location in it. Outside, it shows *you*, precisely where you are.

Post-rage I think that probably changes.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

From my totally normal level of obsessiveness, I noted the following from the latest trailer:

Jason VI weaknesses:
  • Defense
  • Can't Run
  • Morph
*Strength which can be seen appears to be "(something) throwing knives" My guess is either extra or starts game with them rather than having to find.

Jason VIII weaknesses:
  • Sense
  • Can't run
  • Grip Strength

Jason IX weaknesses:
  • Can't run
  • Less hit points (?)
  • Morph

what does "Morph" mean?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

what does "Morph" mean?

The map teleport. Maybe being stronger in it means you warp closer to where you click on the map, while a weakness means it's far less precise.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Generally the strength/weakness stuff on abilities is the length of their cooldown.

Not always though.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

ComposerGuy posted:

I dunno, I feel like inside is exactly where you want to be oftentimes when Jason spots you just because he has much more limited use of his powers in that situation. He can't morph into a building directly, and his shift is too unwieldy to use inside such tight spaces reliably.

I think pre-rage (so like, the first half of a match) being inside is far and away more preferable when being chased. Locking doors buys you a lot of time, you can trap entrances and if its a big enough cabin, even give Jason the slip more easily because his sense ability only lights up a cabin your inside, not your location in it. Outside, it shows *you*, precisely where you are.

Post-rage I think that probably changes.

This.

With regards to the flashlight, it's not as much as a Jason magnet as you think it would be. If he's close enough to spot it, he's likely in the area hunting someone else who is lit up on his Sense. Turn it off and give him the slip while he chases that Vanessa around the map. It's much better to keep your fear down than to worry Jason might catch a glimpse of your flashlight through a window at medium - long distance.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
As much as I want to main Jason and only Jason I'll still be getting this day one.

In work so can't get on Twitter, but Jay Bauman from RLM made a spot on tweet about it being crazy that this fan game is treating the franchise with more love and respect than Hollywood.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Nearly everyone would want to just be Jason. The random selection is the smart decision and I'm glad it's in the game.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Honestly im so happy to be a teen in a shlocky horror film. I'm a little disappointed the SP will be Jason only but I understand why.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

FunkMonkey posted:

Nearly everyone would want to just be Jason. The random selection is the smart decision and I'm glad it's in the game.

Yeah i totally get it too. Though I did envision different lobbies. Join lobby one to be assigned as a Jason to anyone who joins the counselor lobby two kinda thing.

I'm wondering what leveling up Jason is going to be like if you only play him every eight game or so too. I didn't play the Beta but wasn't it you start as Jason from 3 until you level up then you can play as 4 then 7? Is that the same with the full release, does anyone know?

Here's hoping for a "Roy" update.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Drunken Baker posted:

Yeah i totally get it too. Though I did envision different lobbies. Join lobby one to be assigned as a Jason to anyone who joins the counselor lobby two kinda thing.

I'm wondering what leveling up Jason is going to be like if you only play him every eight game or so too. I didn't play the Beta but wasn't it you start as Jason from 3 until you level up then you can play as 4 then 7? Is that the same with the full release, does anyone know?

Here's hoping for a "Roy" update.

XP gains are universal, so even playing as a counselor you are earning XP towards Jason unlocks.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Having the singleplayer be Jason-only makes sense- it gives you a mode where you can just go play as Jason whenever you want to instead of hoping you get lucky in the multiplayer. It solves some player-desire issues that way and probably reduces a lot of potential Jason-selection-randomness complaints.

As someone who played a good chunk of the Beta, though? Playing as a camp counselor is still a lot of fun. Very tense in a way other multiplayer horror games don't really nail. It feels like you're being hunted, you've got to make a lot of interesting decisions about what you're doing and where you're going and if you want to try and help the other players or hinder them, switching between the two options at any given moment based on what's going on. Cars to escape in only have so many seats available, the police barrier exit leaves you vulnerable to Jason attacks but he can only go after one of you at a time, etc.

I think people who assume they'll just hate the game unless they're Jason 24/7 will not feel that way after a few games as the counselors. They're not going to give you a power fantasy like Jason can deliver but it's a real good horror game experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
What kind of unlocks do you use xp for? All I've seen so far is clothes.

• Locked thread