Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i'm wondering if russia is willing to backstab iran for this or are just going to go :yikes: and not return iran's calls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

taking that together with the Senate FRC approving iran sanctions like a week ago it's definitely looking like the current coalition goal is to isolate and destroy Iran for no reason
we also just sold the saudis billions of dollars in arms to invade Qatar themselves and they will probably gently caress this up and get engaged in a foreverwar that spreads unrest, refugees, and terrorism even further in the region lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fullhouse posted:

taking that together with the Senate FRC approving iran sanctions like a week ago it's definitely looking like the current coalition goal is to isolate and destroy Iran for no reason
we also just sold the saudis billions of dollars in arms to invade Qatar themselves and they will probably gently caress this up and get engaged in a foreverwar that spreads unrest, refugees, and terrorism even further in the region lmao

A war in the gulf would also wreck global oil prices, which is GOOD NEWS FOR MADURO!!!!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Let's hope that Iran started rebuilding the bomb when Trump was sworn it.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 05:41 on Jun 5, 2017

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This coming soon after Trump's meeting with ~the orb~, means the house of Saud managed to successfully smooth out Donald's baby brain, with enough pomp and flattery or some poo poo.

I'm guessing that Obama had been trying to rein in the Sunni-Shia poo poo for the last 8 years, and Salman was waiting for the green light from Trump personally before he did this.

Also there is no way Qatar is being invaded, they're too small and vulnerable to do anything but fold to Saudi pressure and then beg forgiveness. It'll be interesting to see what happens to Al Jazeera when that happens.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The fun thing is going to be when all the foreign workers try to leave Qatar per their nation's directions only to discover the Kafala system means 'soz ur a stateless slave now'

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

This coming soon after Trump's meeting with ~the orb~, means the house of Saud managed to successfully smooth out Donald's baby brain, with enough pomp and flattery or some poo poo.

I'm guessing that Obama had been trying to rein in the Sunni-Shia poo poo for the last 8 years, and Salman was waiting for the green light from Trump personally before he did this.

Also there is no way Qatar is being invaded, they're too small and vulnerable to do anything but fold to Saudi pressure and then beg forgiveness. It'll be interesting to see what happens to Al Jazeera when that happens.

Al Jazeera Arabic has been lusting for Shia death since always, and there's no reason for AJE to change even under Saudi pressure.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
why do people hate shias so much goddamn

e: wait are they like muslim mormons

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Playing Haasa in EU4 in honour of little Qatar, rip in peace actually Hormuz instead for the better ideas

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

rudatron posted:

Al-Jazeera is a well-studied instance of Qatar's foreign policy strategy on soft power. It's a very, very vulnerable place.

RIP Qatar if Saudi Arabia is willing another foreign adventure, as in Yemen.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Do you think Iran immediately saying 'have as much food as you need forever' will slow KSA down at all?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/872062159789985792

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

rudatron posted:

The Yemen war is a Sunni-Shia war, ISIS in Iraq is a Sunni-Shia war, and ISIS vs Hezbollah is a Sunni-Shia war in Syria, the repression of Bahraini and Qatar protestors during the Arab spring was a Sunni-Shia conflict, and Saudi Arabia executing Shi'ite clerics is more of the same. It's not exactly been a great decade for it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It is different now though because Trump is one of the most easily manipulable world leaders in history, and he'll believe whatever (most of) the GCC tells him.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Even if Kelly-Anne forced his head under the next time he asks her to share his dirty bathwater, I don't think Mike Pence or even the messiah Bernie would sort out that particular hornet's nest any time soon.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

jBrereton posted:

Even if Kelly-Anne forced his head under the next time he asks her to share his dirty bathwater, I don't think Mike Pence or even the messiah Bernie would sort out that particular hornet's nest any time soon.

Even in the alternate dimension where Bernie won there would probably still be a disgusting amount of weapons sales to Saudi, but it's doubtful that any other administration would be dumb enough to ok the total diplomatic isolation of Qatar from the rest of the gulf. Trump has also surrounded himself with Reagan era dinosaurs and military leaders who all have major chips on their shoulders about Iran, and they're all going to agree that Saudi interests are American interests when it comes to the perfidious ayatollahs.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/872246480425201664

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/BaFana3/status/872154624832221190

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/07/middleeast/iran-parliament-shooting/index.html

quote:

Tehran, Iran (CNN)Attackers have mounted simultaneous gun and suicide bomb assaults on Iran's parliament building and the tomb of the republic's revolutionary founder in Tehran.

At least seven people were killed and 35 others injured in the twin assaults, the semi-official Fars agency reported. State media reported that gunmen stormed the parliament building in Tehran and went on a shooting spree. At least one attacker detonated a suicide bomb. Five people died and at least 35 were injured, Fars reported.

At the same time, a gun and suicide bomb attack targeted the Ayatollah Khomeini mausoleum on the southern outskirts of the Iranian capital. Two people died and 10 were injured there.

A woman was arrested after the attack at the tomb, Fars reported, adding that another attacker has been surrounded by security officers.

CNN has not independently verified the number of victims and it was not immediately clear whether the number of dead included the suicide bombers.

The attackers were holding a number of hostages inside the highly-fortified parliament building, Press TV reported, as Iranian officials scrambled to establish who was behind the attacks or whether they were coordinated.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/872464825858879489

death is certain

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

They're not wrong.

e:

https://twitter.com/faisaledroos/status/872251817110806528

1. Immediately break diplomatic relations with Iran.
2. Expel all Hamas members.
3. Freeze bank accounts of Hamas members and stop dealing with them.
4. Expel all Muslim Brotherhood members from Qatar.
5. Expel anti-GCC elements.
6. End support of 'terrorist organisations.'
7. Stop interfering in Egyptian affairs.
8. Cease broadcasting the Al Jazeera news channel.
9. Apologise to all Gulf governments for 'abuses' by Al Jazeera.
10. Qatar must pledge that will not carry out any actions that contradict the policies of the GCC and adhere to its charter.

https://twitter.com/faisaledroos/status/872268257302003712

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 17:50 on Jun 7, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

http://www.businessinsider.com/turkish-parliament-approves-troop-deployment-embattled-qatar-2017-6

quote:

Turkey's parliament on Wednesday approved a draft bill allowing its troops to be deployed to a Turkish military base in Qatar, an apparent move to support the Gulf Arab country when it faces diplomatic and trade isolation from some of the biggest Middle Eastern powers.

Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain severed relations with Qatar and closed their airspace to commercial flights on Monday, charging it with financing militant groups. Qatar denies the accusations.

The bill, drafted before the rift, passed with 240 votes in favor, largely with support from the ruling AK Party and nationalist opposition MHP.

:thunk:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

what the gently caress is happening

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Saudi Arabia vs. Iran vs. Turkey 3-way conflict for regional hegemony. Trump probably doesn't care.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rudatron posted:

Saudi Arabia vs. Iran vs. Turkey 3-way conflict for regional hegemony. Trump probably doesn't care.

Under any other president staying the gently caress away from that particular hornet's nest would be prudent policy. Not under Trump.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
All 3 participants have extra-military support for insurgent groups, all 3 have used terror operations/groups for their own interests. So expect more things like car bombs and the like, a lot of them, even if no direct military conflict occurs.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I predict this will be good for syria as well

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/07/politics/trump-qatar-call/index.html

quote:

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump changed course on Qatar Wednesday, a day after praising a move by other Gulf nations to sever diplomatic relations with Doha, which hosts a US military base crucial to the fight against ISIS.

In a phone call with the Qatari Emir, Trump extended an olive branch, offering to help the parties resolve their differences by inviting them to a White House meeting if necessary. The outreach came as US officials told CNN they were observing increased Qatari military activity as the country placed its forces on the highest state of alert over fears of an military incursion.

Trump's new tone echoed that of his secretaries of Defense and State, who emphasized Tuesday the need for Gulf unity and the importance of the US partnership with Qatar, home to the Al Udeid Air Base, the main regional center for air missions against ISIS.

Trump's belated effort to calm the situation comes as the Qatari military has brought up 16 Leopard tanks out of storage in Doha and put the military on its highest alert out of fear that Saudi Arabia and others might attempt a military incursion.

On June 5, the Qatari Ministry of Defense transmitted a message to the governments of the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain, saying they would fire on any naval ships from those countries that enter into its waters, a US official said.

They have ordered Qatari citizens and diplomats out of their countries, cut all flights to Qatar and are looking for ways to bar international airlines from flying through their airspace to get to Qatar, which is slated to host to 2022 World Cup. The UAE announced Wednesday that "expressing sympathy, inclination or favoritism toward Qatar" is punishable by three to 15 years in prison, alongside a minimum fine of 500,000 dirhams, about $136,000.

Saudi Arabia has shut the only land border to Qatar, through which the country of 300,000 gets as much as 40% of its food supply, leading to empty shelves in supermarkets and fears that food and water will soon run out.

"My secretaries of Defense & State are both yelling at me, guys. Can I do a mulligan?"

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
saudi really wants that world cup, eh?

why are they getting pissy about quatar all of a sudden? did al jazz leak something?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

they talked to the president of the USA like two weeks ago while clutching an occult orb and he was totally on board with them murdering whoever they wanted, so they picked Qatar

i dunno about the al jazeera poo poo but i'm guessing since it's mildly critical of the saudi government, ever, that's just too much to handle and it must burn

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i'm wondering if russia is willing to backstab iran for this or are just going to go :yikes: and not return iran's calls

russias gonna sell them some s-300s probably

maybe iskanders too if they're feeling ballsy

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/status/872727763127590912

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/06/gcc-nations-issue-threats-qatar-170608014315094.html

quote:

But in some of the strongest comments yet, Bahrain's foreign minister, Sheikh Khalid bin Ahmed Al Khalifa, reportedly told the Saudi newspaper Mecca he doubted whether Qatar would change its behaviour.

"We will not hesitate to protect our interests and the road is open to any options to protect ourselves from Qatar," Sheikh Khalid was quoted as saying.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Niger has announced that they're recalling their ambassador to Doha "in solidarity with Saudi Arabia." So apparently the Saudis are throwing their weight around in the whole of the Sunni world and aren't just content with the GCC.

Eritrea has rejected the notion of cutting ties to Doha.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/06/donald-trump-seeks-increased-anti-terror-efforts-170609182255279.html

quote:

The US administration has sent mixed signals to Arab Gulf countries amid one of the biggest diplomatic crises gripping the region.

Speaking at the White House Rose Garden on Friday, President Donald Trump called on Qatar and other countries to increase their efforts against "terrorism".

"Qatar, we want you back among the unity of responsible nations," Trump said. "We ask Qatar and other nations in the region to do more [to combat terrorism] - and do it faster."

Just minutes earlier, Rex Tillerson, US secretary of state, urged Saudi Arabia and three other Arab states to ease their blockade of Qatar, which was imposed on Monday allegedly because Doha supports "extremism".

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The sheikh must have just said to Trump "Look, Iran are the terrorists, we've got to stop them, give us the free reign to sort it out" and then Trump just said "yeah okay, that sounds good, I have no reason to suspect you're lying at all".

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

rudatron posted:

The sheikh must have just said to Trump "Look, Iran are the terrorists, we've got to stop them, give us the free reign to sort it out" and then Trump just said "yeah okay, that sounds good, I have no reason to suspect you're lying at all".

This is the cost of convincing the USA to step back and let you starve a country to death.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/FPWellman/status/873331653959200782

https://twitter.com/FPWellman/status/873333377339981824

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Freaking Crumbum posted:

holy poo poo that is mind blowing. I mean it's basic math but I never thought of that until you put in into words. by 2022 you could be an 18 year-old dude being sent to die in our forever war in the desert and it'd be a war initiated before you were born, by an administration that no longer exists.

it'd be crazy to do longitudinal studies in 2022 and after, showing what percentage of the active combat forces were born before / after 2003. it'll be lol-tastic when the only active combat forces deployed that are older than the war are the officers, like captain rank and above.

we invaded afghanistan in 2001 you ahistorical nimrod

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Byolante posted:

This is the cost of convincing the USA to step back and let you starve a country to death.

As lovely as Trump is let's not start pretending Obama did anything other than provide support for the Saudi's starvation campaign in Yemen.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Requesting thread name change to "Global War on Terror Year 16: Qatar Me Some Slack"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Byolante posted:

This is the cost of convincing the USA to step back and let you starve another country to death.

ftfy

• Locked thread