Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Requesting thread name change to "Global War of Terror Year 16: Qatar Me Some Slack"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

im too cool to ever be sad about things but this is :smith:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
So here's what I've been thinking of recently:

All 3 major players in this upcoming regional conflict, have strategies that are predicated on circumventing 'traditional' state-based diplomacy, to achieve foreign policy goals, through either adopting themselves, or supporting other groups, that have some blend of 'asymmetric' style warfare.

But the asymmetric style warfare is not a general counter-punch to overcoming military disadvantages - it does not make a weak army beat a stronger army, all other things being equal. What it is, is a strategy predicated on your opponent either choosing or being forced to adopt the traditional rules-of-war, while you are not. All you're doing, is leveraging that differential, to both protect yourself and weaken your opponent.

But what happens when both (or in this case, all 3 sides), have adopted and are comfortable with 'asymmetric' warfare? What happens when everyone is trying to fight the asymmetric battle, and no one is actually the guy following the rules?

Like take that tweet: 65 villagers butchered because they got US aid. The people who did that thought they were justified. And hey, it worked right? They wanted to send a message, and well: message sent.

Now imagine a regional conflict, where both sides have that mindset. What do you think, is gonna happen?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

rudatron posted:

All 3 major players in this upcoming regional conflict, have strategies that are predicated on circumventing 'traditional' state-based diplomacy, to achieve foreign policy goals, through either adopting themselves, or supporting other groups, that have some blend of 'asymmetric' style warfare.

But the asymmetric style warfare is not a general counter-punch to overcoming military disadvantages - it does not make a weak army beat a stronger army, all other things being equal. What it is, is a strategy predicated on your opponent either choosing or being forced to adopt the traditional rules-of-war, while you are not. All you're doing, is leveraging that differential, to both protect yourself and weaken your opponent.

But what happens when both (or in this case, all 3 sides), have adopted and are comfortable with 'asymmetric' warfare? What happens when everyone is trying to fight the asymmetric battle, and no one is actually the guy following the rules?

Like take that tweet: 65 villagers butchered because they got US aid. The people who did that thought they were justified. And hey, it worked right? They wanted to send a message, and well: message sent.

Now imagine a regional conflict, where both sides have that mindset. What do you think, is gonna happen?

Probably like cartel warfare in Mexico, but with more explosives.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Class Warcraft posted:

Probably like cartel warfare in Mexico, but with more explosives.

And less booze and drugs.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

And less booze and drugs.

There is plenty of drugs in assymetric warfare

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/30213709/captagon-the-drug-which-fuels-isis-and-turns-soldiers-into-superhumans/#page1

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Asymmetric warfare typically isn't even characterized by "one side following the rules." Rules are for countries that are bound by international conventions, but most states can get away with just carrying out genocides in response to a guerilla threat because they have cover from those "rules honoring" powers - like how Indonesia murdered 500,000 "communists" with the help of gangster paramilitaries.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/AfshinMolavi/status/874089527538851840

*extremely King Salman voice*

All according to Keikaku

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
And congress wants to impose sanctions on iran (why?) which will kill obama's nuke deal with them, so I guess we'll be invading qatar/iran in a couple years

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

got any sevens posted:

And congress wants to impose sanctions on iran (why?) which will kill obama's nuke deal with them, so I guess we'll be invading qatar/iran in a couple years

looks like you answered your own question there boss

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/RealAlexJones/status/876967853999628289

The cast of characters for the Iran War are gonna be way weirder than Iraq.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thats loving horrible. why do they even do it. i assume reprisals. loving hate wahabism, all it does is cause pain and suffering.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

i am still amused about how much of a piece of poo poo whore jones is. I guess he was always a right wing stooge. i like how he is half assly backing off the sandyhook stuff after the baseball shooting, probaly doesnt want one of the parents to feed him a bullet someday. eitherway. i am amused how much of trumps bullshit he believes.

rudatron posted:

oh its gonna be horrible. i assume its gonna be the Iran and its allies vs GCC with ISIS and Turkey and Israel in the which ever side(isis will just use it to carve up territory.) its gonna be middle east super war.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Turkey support Qatar, don't they?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

lol even loving infowars is just a saudi propaganda outlet these days

sad!!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It really is remarkable that Jones is so desperate to jerk off the Trump administration, that Infowars just recycles the Saudi line.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It really is remarkable that Jones is so desperate to jerk off the Trump administration, that Infowars just recycles the Saudi line.

I assume that he was always a right wing nut but he didn't trust the establishment because Jews or something. Now trump is a outsider and will make America some fordlandia isolationist utopia hermit kingdom.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

rudatron posted:

that's just any given day in much of equatorial africa

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

the bitcoin of weed posted:

lol even loving infowars is just a saudi propaganda outlet these days

sad!!

infowars supporting the president is perfectly 2017 yet still somehow disappointing

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zeal posted:

that's just any given day in much of equatorial africa

true. but now most of the factions have tons of modern weaponry supply by either the US or Russia or themselves.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Modern weaponry doesn't really count for much, which is why the Saudi coalition has resorted to starving North Yemen into submission. Any war between Gulf Arab states is going to be fought between mercenaries.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I'm extremely glad that metal gear solid 4 is real life

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Modern weaponry doesn't really count for much, which is why the Saudi coalition has resorted to starving North Yemen into submission. Any war between Gulf Arab states is going to be fought between mercenaries.

or conscripts. a gently caress ton of mercs and conscripts.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Otacon fucks

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

and then he becomes a ladies man.

yeah pretty much.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/ForeignPolicy/status/877641005402423296

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxLFdJLSho8

"I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror. Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies. I remember when I was with Special Forces. Seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate the children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for Polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God... the genius of that. The genius. The will to do that. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we. Because they could stand that these were not monsters. These were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment. Because it's judgment that defeats us."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/23/close-al-jazeera-saudi-arabia-issues-qatar-with-13-demands-to-end-blockade

Saudi Arabia and its allies have issued a threatening 13-point ultimatum to Qatar as the price for lifting a two-week trade and diplomatic embargo of the country, in a marked escalation of the Gulf’s worst diplomatic dispute in decades.

The onerous list of demands includes stipulations that Doha close the broadcaster al-Jazeera, drastically scale back cooperation with Iran, remove Turkish troops from Qatar’s soil, end contact with groups such as the Muslim Brotherhood and submit to monthly external compliance checks. Qatar has been given 10 days to comply with the demands or face unspecified consequences.
:thunk:

The 13 demands in full

• Curb diplomatic ties with Iran and close its diplomatic missions there. Expel members of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards and cut off any joint military cooperation with Iran. Only trade and commerce with Iran that complies with US and international sanctions will be permitted.

• Sever all ties to “terrorist organisations”, specifically the Muslim Brotherhood, Islamic State, al-Qaida and Lebanon’s Hezbollah. Formally declare those entities as terrorist groups.

• Shut down al-Jazeera and its affiliate stations.

• Shut down news outlets that Qatar funds, directly and indirectly, including Arabi21, Rassd, Al-Araby Al-Jadeed and Middle East Eye.

• Immediately terminate the Turkish military presence in Qatar and end any joint military cooperation with Turkey inside Qatar.

• Stop all means of funding for individuals, groups or organisations that have been designated as terrorists by Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt, Bahrain, the US and other countries.

• Hand over “terrorist figures” and wanted individuals from Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain to their countries of origin. Freeze their assets, and provide any desired information about their residency, movements and finances.

• End interference in sovereign countries’ internal affairs. Stop granting citizenship to wanted nationals from Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain. Revoke Qatari citizenship for existing nationals where such citizenship violates those countries’ laws.

• Stop all contacts with the political opposition in Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain. Hand over all files detailing Qatar’s prior contacts with and support for those opposition groups.

• Pay reparations and compensation for loss of life and other, financial losses caused by Qatar’s policies in recent years. The sum will be determined in coordination with Qatar.

• Consent to monthly audits for the first year after agreeing to the demands, then once per quarter during the second year. For the following 10 years, Qatar would be monitored annually for compliance.

• Align itself with the other Gulf and Arab countries militarily, politically, socially and economically, as well as on economic matters, in line with an agreement reached with Saudi Arabia in 2014.

• Agree to all the demands within 10 days of it being submitted to Qatar, or the list becomes invalid.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/23/close-al-jazeera-saudi-arabia-issues-qatar-with-13-demands-to-end-blockade

Saudi Arabia and its allies have issued a threatening 13-point ultimatum to Qatar as the price for lifting a two-week trade and diplomatic embargo of the country, in a marked escalation of the Gulf’s worst diplomatic dispute in decades.

The onerous list of demands includes stipulations that Doha close the broadcaster al-Jazeera, drastically scale back cooperation with Iran, remove Turkish troops from Qatar’s soil, end contact with groups such as the Muslim Brotherhood and submit to monthly external compliance checks. Qatar has been given 10 days to comply with the demands or face unspecified consequences.
:thunk:

The 13 demands in full

• Curb diplomatic ties with Iran and close its diplomatic missions there. Expel members of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards and cut off any joint military cooperation with Iran. Only trade and commerce with Iran that complies with US and international sanctions will be permitted.

• Sever all ties to “terrorist organisations”, specifically the Muslim Brotherhood, Islamic State, al-Qaida and Lebanon’s Hezbollah. Formally declare those entities as terrorist groups.

• Shut down al-Jazeera and its affiliate stations.

• Shut down news outlets that Qatar funds, directly and indirectly, including Arabi21, Rassd, Al-Araby Al-Jadeed and Middle East Eye.

• Immediately terminate the Turkish military presence in Qatar and end any joint military cooperation with Turkey inside Qatar.

• Stop all means of funding for individuals, groups or organisations that have been designated as terrorists by Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt, Bahrain, the US and other countries.

• Hand over “terrorist figures” and wanted individuals from Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain to their countries of origin. Freeze their assets, and provide any desired information about their residency, movements and finances.

• End interference in sovereign countries’ internal affairs. Stop granting citizenship to wanted nationals from Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain. Revoke Qatari citizenship for existing nationals where such citizenship violates those countries’ laws.

• Stop all contacts with the political opposition in Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain. Hand over all files detailing Qatar’s prior contacts with and support for those opposition groups.

• Pay reparations and compensation for loss of life and other, financial losses caused by Qatar’s policies in recent years. The sum will be determined in coordination with Qatar.

• Consent to monthly audits for the first year after agreeing to the demands, then once per quarter during the second year. For the following 10 years, Qatar would be monitored annually for compliance.

• Align itself with the other Gulf and Arab countries militarily, politically, socially and economically, as well as on economic matters, in line with an agreement reached with Saudi Arabia in 2014.

• Agree to all the demands within 10 days of it being submitted to Qatar, or the list becomes invalid.

yeah. they want war or at the very least some sort of violence. the GCC wants to flex its mucles on "easy" target, and trump being a fucktard has basicaly given them a green light. its 1914 all over again.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. they want war or at the very least some sort of violence. the GCC wants to flex its mucles on "easy" target, and trump being a fucktard has basicaly given them a green light. its 1914 all over again.

A country with American and Turkish military bases isn't going to be an easy target.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A country with American and Turkish military bases isn't going to be an easy target.

hence why i said "easy". Saudi Arabia doesn't care if its failson officer corp or its conscript infantry die. trump doesnt give gently caress about our soldiers their and if he does, he will probaly try pull them out before the fireworks start.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I don't think the "unspecified consequence" is actually gonna be war. They're just going to keep up the blockade indefiinitely.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It is rather interesting that Infowars has such a schizophrenic take on Iran. LIke half the time they hate them because Trump does. BUt then theyalso have to be supportive whenever Iran is targeted by the boggeymen of Infrowars like Tony Blair.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Crowsbeak posted:

It is rather interesting that Infowars has such a schizophrenic take on Iran. LIke half the time they hate them because Trump does. BUt then theyalso have to be supportive whenever Iran is targeted by the boggeymen of Infrowars like Tony Blair.

Iran is good because they support the Lion Assad, but they're bad because THEY KILLED ARE TROOPS

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Agree to pay an unspecified amount in reparations, for actions that have not been proven, and also close AJ because ????

I don't get it, I dont see why SA is has such a hate boner fot qatar. Its not like qatar and iran are allies or whatever

They're not going to be happy about president cheeto back stabbing them, so what's going to happen to the us base?

Its all so stupid

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

cargo cult posted:

god KSA sucks so loving badly. all the gulf monarchy arabs at my school are like hilariously disgustingly fat and sexually repressed. like they have figures u would think is impossible, like fuckin 5'9 with a size like 50 waist. seriously disgusting people. they have no idea how to have fun b/c theyre a bunch of unfuckable teetotalers so that brings me some cold comfort i guess. no wonder slavery and beheading is so popular in their countries.

the saudi princes are seriously the worst people in the world

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Helsing posted:

As lovely as Trump is let's not start pretending Obama did anything other than provide support for the Saudi's starvation campaign in Yemen.

Obama instated an arms embargo on SA in response to the Yemeni invasion

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

srsly tho why does the entire world not only put up with these massive pieces of poo poo, but in fact aids them and encourages them. why hasnt the whole world decided to get rid of the loving cancer of the saudis already

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

babypolis posted:

srsly tho why does the entire world not only put up with these massive pieces of poo poo, but in fact aids them and encourages them. why hasnt the whole world decided to get rid of the loving cancer of the saudis already

SA sits on the largest oil field in the world, and Qatar sits on the largest gas field in the world

resource endowment, baby!!!!!!!!!!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Man Musk posted:

SA sits on the largest oil field in the world, and Qatar sits on the largest gas field in the world

resource endowment, baby!!!!!!!!!!

yeah so just loving kill them all and be done with that poo poo, dont spend the last 50 years or whatever kowtowing to a bunch of insane, bloodthirsty, inbred, incel failsons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Man Musk posted:

Obama instated an arms embargo on SA in response to the Yemeni invasion

:lol:

He sold more than $100 billion worth of weapons to Saudi Arabia during his time in office and provided logistical support for their starvation campaign against Yemen, in which the Saudis are consciously destroying port infrastructure and denying foodshipments and have created an artifical famine that is threatening millions of lives. Then, less than two months before leaving office his now lame-duck administration cancelled the sale of some Raytheon munitions. That's some embargo, what a brave and humanitarian President.

• Locked thread