Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

jBrereton posted:

The Yemen war fuckin blows and I genuinely don't understand why The Slightly Overgeneralised West pretends that Hadi is the leader of a legitimate government they should support by directing the Saudi air force.

We need SA to play ball in Syria and pointing out hospitals to Gulf bombers is a cheap way to stay on their good side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

OP you forgot Somalia (just like everyone else :( )

Add dis to the OP please from my dead Dnd thread

Somalia

Al Shabaab with captured government forces following the 2016 withdrawal of Ethiopian forces from Western Somalia

Al Shabaab, Al Qaeda's Somali franchise, has been driven out of Somalia's major towns and cities but remains a potent threat in the countryside. AMISOM, the African Union peacekeeping force, has long been one of the primary bulwarks against their advance. The mission has an uncertain future however, with participants facing pressure to withdraw troops to handle unrest in their own countries and Western funding withheld over human rights violations and disputed elections. This month Trump designated the country an "active area of hostilities," and regular troops will be returning authorized for offensive operations for the first time since 1994.

I think c-spam might be a better place to talk about this than Dnd. Unlike say Syria there isn't anyone to root for in Afghanistan, and hence not much to argue about.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Somalia just isn't much of a priority in the American FP blob. We've been drone striking Al-Shabaab on occasion but there's not really anything in it for the United States outside of preventing Al-Shabaab or the ICU from taking over southern Somalia again. Nonetheless it is relevant, and I can easily see the Trump administration carrying out another massacre while claiming a success like they did in Yemen.

I wouldn't underestimate just how much America prioritizes fighting Al Qaeda, however there are other concerns including piracy. Notably the US has led efforts to prevent Somaliland becoming independent as there were concerns Somali becoming permanently stateless would undermine the modern Westphalian social order. Boutros Boutros Ghali pushed really hard for an invasion and occupation of Somaliland, but Colin Powell told GW Bush that'd be dumb as hell.

Anyway, the US has spent well over 1.5 billion dollars in Somali directly, matched by the EU, and both funnel about the same into the country through the UN. The EU and US pay, equip, train, and transport the Ugandan and Burundian mercenaries who enforce order in Mogadishu. US forces have been on the ground with local forces conducting "self defense" strikes on Shabaab training camps for more than a year now, for the moment the US is probably more actively involved in Somalia than even Libya.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

In any case. How can humanitarian interventionism make any claim to ideological consistency while the liberal commentariat is completely silent about the ongoing atrocities in Yemen? More than that, it's an atrocity that the United States is actively helping to carry out without even so much as a diplomatic nay-saying. How can we pretend to be any better than say, the North Koreans, while we're intentionally starving millions of people?

The most immediate response would be to say that it's different when it's not your own people that you're starving to death - but that's nationalistic nonsense and not a morally sound argument. That's what the CHUDs believe.

My guess is that they would become indignant at the implication they have been silent and point to the couple paragraphs they wrote last year vaguely condemning both sides in the conflict. They'd then deny that American is intentionally starving people and deflect blame first to Iran, then to SA, and then they'd change the subject.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's probably true I guess, but the truth of the thing isn't really what matters.

What is the thing what really matters

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm so glad we have this giant war machine theoretically devoted to peacekeeping missions

Peacekeeping? Peacekeeping has been off-shored, much cheaper to hire a foreign contractor. Fiji and Nepal have cut-throat rates.

USA has payed to keep 22,000 AU forces in Somalia for ten years now. Not the troops, they often don't receive pay for six, 10, 12+ months in a row. President of Burundi is making out pretty good though.

BTW the US has bombed Somalia at least 13 times this year, in case you haven't kept track. Not so impressive considering we were flattening whole Libyan cities just last year but there's no indication we're going to stop anytime soon, so it keeps adding up.

• Locked thread