Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
did we win yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
by 'we' i of course mean the terrorists

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Let's hope that Iran started rebuilding the bomb when Trump was sworn it.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 05:41 on Jun 5, 2017

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This coming soon after Trump's meeting with ~the orb~, means the house of Saud managed to successfully smooth out Donald's baby brain, with enough pomp and flattery or some poo poo.

I'm guessing that Obama had been trying to rein in the Sunni-Shia poo poo for the last 8 years, and Salman was waiting for the green light from Trump personally before he did this.

Also there is no way Qatar is being invaded, they're too small and vulnerable to do anything but fold to Saudi pressure and then beg forgiveness. It'll be interesting to see what happens to Al Jazeera when that happens.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Saudi Arabia vs. Iran vs. Turkey 3-way conflict for regional hegemony. Trump probably doesn't care.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
All 3 participants have extra-military support for insurgent groups, all 3 have used terror operations/groups for their own interests. So expect more things like car bombs and the like, a lot of them, even if no direct military conflict occurs.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The sheikh must have just said to Trump "Look, Iran are the terrorists, we've got to stop them, give us the free reign to sort it out" and then Trump just said "yeah okay, that sounds good, I have no reason to suspect you're lying at all".

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
So here's what I've been thinking of recently:

All 3 major players in this upcoming regional conflict, have strategies that are predicated on circumventing 'traditional' state-based diplomacy, to achieve foreign policy goals, through either adopting themselves, or supporting other groups, that have some blend of 'asymmetric' style warfare.

But the asymmetric style warfare is not a general counter-punch to overcoming military disadvantages - it does not make a weak army beat a stronger army, all other things being equal. What it is, is a strategy predicated on your opponent either choosing or being forced to adopt the traditional rules-of-war, while you are not. All you're doing, is leveraging that differential, to both protect yourself and weaken your opponent.

But what happens when both (or in this case, all 3 sides), have adopted and are comfortable with 'asymmetric' warfare? What happens when everyone is trying to fight the asymmetric battle, and no one is actually the guy following the rules?

Like take that tweet: 65 villagers butchered because they got US aid. The people who did that thought they were justified. And hey, it worked right? They wanted to send a message, and well: message sent.

Now imagine a regional conflict, where both sides have that mindset. What do you think, is gonna happen?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Agree to pay an unspecified amount in reparations, for actions that have not been proven, and also close AJ because ????

I don't get it, I dont see why SA is has such a hate boner fot qatar. Its not like qatar and iran are allies or whatever

They're not going to be happy about president cheeto back stabbing them, so what's going to happen to the us base?

Its all so stupid

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
that particular tweet storm is accusing the media of being cowards for not turning on cameras during spicer's meetings, but his piece on the latest attack is quite bad, a lot of whinging about hersh using an anonymous source (lol) and some really dumb nitpicking, like this loving gem:

quote:

Ignoring the fact that the version of events presented by Hersh runs counter to narratives produced by all sides, the claims around the chemical exposure are also worth examining. Hersh refers to “a Bomb Damage Assessment (BDA) by the U.S. military” of the strike, which he provides no source for, which supposedly states “a series of secondary explosions that could have generated a huge toxic cloud that began to spread over the town, formed by the release of the fertilizers, disinfectants and other goods stored in the basement”. He describes the symptoms seen in victims as “consistent with the release of a mixture of chemicals, including chlorine and the organophosphates used in many fertilizers, which can cause neurotoxic effects similar to those of sarin.” Here it is worth pointing out that organophosphates are used as pesticides, not fertilizers, and it’s unclear if this error is from Hersh himself or his anonymous source. This is not the only factual error in the report, with Hersh stating an SU-24 was used in the attack, not an SU-22 as claimed by every other source, including the US government.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
actually after reading hersch's piece, and bm's reponse, I'm 99% convinced the chemical attack never happened, both because of the points he raised, but also because it didn't make sense for assad to use a chemical weapon in that bombing in the first place.

this whole thing reminds me of that mcnamara documentary more than anything, about the gulf of tonkin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A_X_6_9m2s

rudatron has issued a correction as of 04:03 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
actually the whole thing is good if you have an hour to waste so here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8ZhIi57x-4&t=2s

• Locked thread